Renting requirements

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what formalities are involved when you rent a place in Malta, e.g would I need to provide references and any proof of income?

I would be self employed and building up a business over there so would not have regular income straight away, I would have at least enough money to live on for 6 months but am unsure if I would need to prove this. From what I've seen it looks pretty straight forward but if anyone else can tell me from experience that would be great.

Cheers,

Andrew

no none.

The only formality in Malta is CASH.

Terry

You will find the rental process here very different from UK.
As Toon says there are no requirements, generally but that may depend upon any prospective landlord.
The level of protection here for tenant is virtually non existent so be careful.
For the landlord it is better because of course their word will always be taken above that for a foreign tenant in any dispute.
There is one technicality that I read about a couple of years ago and which may or may not be required and that is by Law rent payment should be recorded in a receipt book issued by the VAT Department. If not then the tenant may be held jointly accountable, in Law, for any landlord's tax evasion. Yet, most landlords do not declare the income and do not pay tax on their rental properties. It can be a very ‘fast and loose' arrangement hence the low level of protection.
Not all landlords are evasive or cutting corners, just that many do, so be warned!
Also regarding minor repairs - do not sign any contract that states you're liable for minor repairs unless you're prepared to pay for them!
Insist upon receipts, whether in a recorded VAT receipt book or otherwise.
Get receipts and keep them; for everything.
I also doubt if many landlords have insurance so it may be in idea to get your own, if you consider that to be cost effective.

Ok great, thanks for your help!
I will bear all that in mind when I start looking at places.

Cheers,

Andrew