Where do I begin?

:)

This is an intro, so I'll be brief.

I am a Trinidad and Tobago national residing in Brazil for the past 18 years.

The opener above gives way to a flood of questions whenever I say that in a conversation - in English or in Brazil. This has left me clueless as to what to say about my experience now.

So I guess getting questions and answering them as they come along is the best way to proceed.

Here's one:

Not quite sure I understand what you or others (in English and Brazil, as you state) find so confusing about your situation, i.e., what "flood of questions" that statement could give rise to. Maybe I'm missing something. But unless I'm the only one that feels that way, maybe it would be wiser and more beneficial for you to tell us more about yourself and your particular situation, versus you waiting or expecting questions from others on this Blog to inquire a variety of things, based on that one, simple statement...?

Well as I said initially,

I really don't know where to begin. But let's go with this:

Been here for 18 years working as a language teacher/translator and now as a teacher trainer.

Have a Brazilian famliy - wife and daughter to add to the large family back in Trinidad and Tobago.

That's it for now

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

Hello Triniguarani,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope that your participation here will be both enjoyable and informative. That said, since you've been here in Brazil for so many years now, you're probably not going to need lots of information for sure.

I'm a Canadian and have been living in Brazil for 13 years now. We seem to have lots in common apart from our longevity in the country. I am also an English teacher, translator and teach Portuguese to English speakers. I'm married to a Brazilian woman and we have a beautiful 7 1/2 year old Brazilian born son too.

I've been the Brazil & Canada Expert for the blog for a few years now, so I guess you'd say I'm the "go to guy" here.

I've been to 7 different Brazilian states during my years here, and I've lived in 5 of them. I'm now living in Macaé - RJ, Brazil's Petroleum Capital.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Maybe you should ask questions in the other forum too if you want to move back.

Alright James,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Will have to look you up when I stop in at Macaé to visit the Cultura Inglesa school there.

Have you been back to the homeland recently? My last return home was five years ago.

Cheers :thanks:

No, I've been here for 13 years straight. Unfortunately unless I can find some way of getting back to Canada that doesn't involve flying or driving over mountains (health reasons) I won't be doing it any time soon either.

Cheers,
James

That must be a bit saddening,

I really miss home so I know the feeling.

Best

Fortunately for  me I have had over ten years to adapt to this condition, so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Also, my life really is here in Brazil now. I'm married to a wonderful young Brazilian woman and we have a beautiful and highly intelligent 7 1/2 year old son who is my whole world. While my family is still all in Canada I now have a whole new family here.

Cheers,
James            Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi there!

Am I to understand that you are a teacher and teacher trainer for Cultura Inglesa? Can you tell me a bit more about that?

Kevin