Working visa with a criminal conviction

Hi folks

I am interested in going to work for an aid agency in PNG, but I spent time in prison 6 years ago for a driving conviction, (not alcohol or drug related).  Am I likely to be granted a working visa or is this unlikely. I have no other criminal convictions.  I have looked everywhere on the internet but have not been able to find any information, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

airpoints wrote:

Hi folks

I am interested in going to work for an aid agency in PNG, but I spent time in prison 6 years ago for a driving conviction, (not alcohol or drug related).  Am I likely to be granted a working visa or is this unlikely. I have no other criminal convictions.  I have looked everywhere on the internet but have not been able to find any information, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum 

I suggest that you check up on the PNG embassy website and check if a police clearance certificate is part of the visa application. 
Perhaps contact the police dept and ask them as to whether this conviction will show up.

While I can not speak for the PNG Government I would say that since the Aid Agency must sponsor you and provide you with a job or volunteer status that immigrations would take that into consideration.  You will need a police background check, but a 6 year old conviction, with a currently clean record for 6 years should be good.  Go for it, the worst that can happen is they say no, but to fail to try is to lose by default.  Does the agency you will be working with know about the conviction?  Are they doing your paperwork or are you doing it yourself?  You're much better off if they have an agent here do it for you.  Good luck.

Thank you for your answers, greatly appreciated. The aid agency I will be working for know about the conviction, but have asked me to find out if I would be able to get a working visa in PNG as they have never dealt with something like this before, I am not sure if they use an agency or not, I will have to check.  I am also interested in visiting PNG next year for a few weeks to meet the people and check out the country, I know that on the immigration card when you arrive at the airport they ask you if you have any criminal convictions.  What would be the best way to arrange a visit in these circumstances?

Just get a tourist visa first and see where it goes from there.