Certifying a document

Hi folks,

I need to send a certified copy of my passport to my solicitor in the UK. British High Commission didn't accept to do this. I went to a notary office who asked for €20.00 to sign and stamp the photocopy! I think it's too high. What do you think?

Any idea how else I can get a document certified?

Thanks,
Russell

Try a different notary, at least you'll know what the going rate that's being charged is.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

James wrote:

Try a different notary, at least you'll know what the going rate that's being charged is.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks James,
It's taken me some efforts to locate one that is open and practicing. I've contacted many more (found on Yellow Pages) by email or went along to their office only to discover they've long stopped practicing.

Had to do exactly the same here in Gozo. Three copies of mine, three copies of my wife's. Charge from the Notary in the village square = Zero!

I don't know exactly how things work over there, but are there any Civil Registries or Land Title Registries there? Those places always have someone authorized to notarize documents, perhaps they will certify/notarize your documents for a fee.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

I am not surprised you did not find many current practising if you used yellow pages. I have found them to be so poor a resource that I have not used them for quite some time. They are not updated and neither are most websites. Go to your local council offices and they should be able to advise you.
Oh and thank you James; Canadian and Brazilian Expert once again!  :whistle: