Beware of rental scam

georgeingozo wrote:

it makes the cost of using an agent more sensible, esp for first timers

yes because we all know that estate agencies are trustworthy people and never rip anyone off .. cough cough ... (sorry winter cold) :)

you stil dont get any protection though - even with an agent......many will side with the landlords...

Unfortunately we have 2 dogs which makes the mainstream agents a secondary option as a majority do not cater for pets - hence using the classifieds/private landlords.
We tried so many agents but no one allowed pets - hence the advert in Malta Park asking if anyone had properties that allowed pets - Cue Anna Camelerri/Cassar/Monreal or whatever alias she chose that day!

We found that asking for properties that allowed dogs severely limited the market.
So we started looking at properties without telling the agent we had a dog.
When we found an  apartment we liked we then  asked the agent to ask the landlord if dogs would be accepted IF we agree to pay for any damage caused by the dog when we left or leave if the dog caused a nuisance to others.
This was acceptable to our landlord and was included in the contract.

Our dog is fully house trained and does not bark, so we have had no problems.

(slightly off topic).

Terry

We were made aware of this woman back in December when my client skyped me and was devastated they had lost 3000 euros to her, had packed and sold all their stuff ready to move in and then saw the report in the papers about her.
Her perents were arriving for Christmas and they had no where to stay. They were only saved by the parents giving them some funds to get another property quickly.

We stayed with them last week and as we met other agents lots of info came out about this woman. Apparently she was being a cleaner to the properties and cutting the keys. Then posing as an agent showing people the properties and once signed she would string them along. It was only a matter of time before it all cuaght up with her. One of the agents we chatted to had been shown properties for her clients and handed over her clients money and when it all came out she paid every penny back to the people that lost put but at a loss to herself and has submitted numerous claims to get her money back. I think she is one of the key witnesses for them.
Fortunately we did sign with a good agent and met the owner during the day and at night and she also lives above our property and we have regular chats on facebook so feeling quite secure with the deal we have done. She was also scammed with a tenant so was equally cautious about who she was letting the property too. All money was exchanged in front of witnesses, signed by witnesses and agent. I feel very sorry for those that were duped by this Annabell woman and hopefully they will be able to recover their money.

Thank you for this valuable information.

As Toon stated previously

''bottom line is TRUST NOBODY - DOUBLE AND TREBLE CHECK EVERYTHING - USE A LAWYER - THE COST WOULD BE WORTH IT''

Caveat Emptor.

Also I suggest anyone looking to rent reads this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425461

interesting comment  - good agent"

sorry i am so so so cynical.... i personally dont think they exist - if they did and personally believe that good agents potentially only exist in a regulated sector  - maltas rental sector is a free for all...and if they existed many of the current issues would be minimal...

Its a shame that all agents are percieved in this way. So far our experience has been a good one. I wrote to the agents manager on our return to thank them for their services, he responded and offered to show us the best eateries when we arrive and also share my husbands CV with some of his contacts. Some do go the extra mile sometimes.

If it was Quicklets that is the only one I do recommend and have done frequently.
I have no connection with the other than I know the owner.

Im pleased to say that our arrival into our new home went well. No issues with the landlady. Her and her son have been very helpful when we arrived. A few snagging issues with the fridge not keeping cold and hot water but all was sorted within a few days. They have been very accomodating assisting us with doctor, dentist, setting up wi fi and a landline service for us and setting up the tv.
Relieved and feeling much more settled now.

Well done, nice to hear good news about renting as we are coming to live in Gozo this April,we to have been in contact with a couple of letting agents they have been helpful so far. Kind Regards. Eddie. Jean