Increasing crime in Vietnam

Is stealing from foreigners  by pickpockets and by about 70 % of all Taxi drivers on criminal offence or just an hobby in Vietnam as it mostly only locals stealing from foreigners?
Does anyone knows the answer to it? and what is the punishment for anyone getting court?

There is no discrimination in theft  :)
When they get a chance they will utilize whether it is foreigner or locals.
"Prevention is better than cure"
Many of us are careless especially in crowd!

montor wrote:

Is stealing ... by about 70 % of all Taxi drivers on criminal offence or just an hobby in Vietnam as it mostly only locals stealing from foreigners?

If you are describing the 'no change' scam by taxi drivers, you should know that, by law, vendors are required to give change. If they don't have small enough change they are required to give you too much change.

With taxi drivers if they say / signal 'no change' just say 'mien phi' - it guarantees change. The same law says if the vendor has no change then the buyer has to give money as close as possible to the price but not over.

A new trick is the Thai jewellery scam where jewellery is sealed in a plastic container and 'Certificate' is issued 'guaranteeing' money back 'by company cheque'. Of course, you can't test a diamond in a sealed box - and they don't give a full refund!

And cheques / checks don't exist in VN!

Pick-pockets can be thwarted as long as you keep your eyes open and you money in a front, button-down trouser pocket. Walking against the flow in a mall or street also makes in hard for pick pockets.

Hello @ all,
prevention is everything - like always when you visit any other country. But honesty said: Since 7 months I live the most time in D12 (!!!) HCMC... And I don't seen not only 1 time anything bad, crime, scam & so on near me. The biggest part of prevention (in my own experiences & not only in Viet Nam) is how you present yourself in contact with locals. Me by myself very rarely I can walk away without to get invited for meal, coffee, tea or beer from any locals (known & strangers in any age), here in Saigon & as well on countryside near & in Quy Nhon... Just respect the people like humans & specially here in Vietnam you'll find a real great hospitality!!!
Btw, for sure expect some less femal "gold-diggers" - LOL - but this is a other story ;)
Just saying.
Kind regards @ everyone :)

sailingholidays wrote:

Btw, for sure expect some less femal "gold-diggers" - LOL - but this is a other story ;)
Just saying

Hey, btw, I want to know about other story ;). Lol. Never think online love will have good happy ending. We need much time offline to know each other, if the woman/ man is gold-digger or not.

Vietnamese cabbie returns bag with $8,000

He's obviously a merry-waa peddling, dreg of society.  Got the poor woman so high that she forgot everything..except the savory bowl of pho she had a sudden hankein' fer'.  Only that and the owner's cry of "You pay me now!" brought her back around.  The pot-pusher probably sensed an opportunity to sell another bag of hippie lettuce, so he returned the 8K, minus $5 for the weed and another $5 for a foot "massaa'.  Diabolical, yet shrewd...

Vietnam cabbie returns $2,400, credit cards to forgetful tourists

:cool:

Vietnamese cabbie waits at passenger's door to return lost bag

STALKER!

So true. You never hear the 9 positive experiences but you hear only one negative experience from a friend of a friend's relative.

Since there are the good and the bad in every country, it's better for expats to protect themselves.

Most of Vnese are friendly, warm, but there are still lots of crime in the society. Get a "Honda Lead" scooter to have everything in the bike's tank like Ms Ngatt, and you will enjoy the riding without the fear of robbery  :par:

zanchun wrote:

Get a "Honda Lead" scooter to have everything in the bike's tank like Ms Ngatt, and you will enjoy the riding without the fear of robbery  :par:

Hihi, I don't like that bike, but still I bought it, because it has big tank, I can put my laptop, my bag there; or 2 helmets. I feel safe with it.
BTW, I really like Vespa, LX; I hope I can enjoy it, not SCR/Lead scooter :D. Maybe I should live in my hometown, then I will buy a LX scooter.

Unless you read the Vietnamese language newspapers, a lot of 'crime' reporting escapes the attention of Foreigners even if they read the English-language versions. It's a form of censorship designed to only publicise the 'nice' side of life which is not good as we Foreigners don`t know what to look out for.

I love the Cong An newspaper, published by the people of the same name. It's filled with tales of daring-do, 'major' crime, all in the interests of self-promotion. Seems there mist be another Cong An we don't around HCM, who either seem to be busy keeping their office seats warm or collecting their 'tithes' from businesses in the area.

The missus went shopping and bought a makeup compact and some other feminine fripperies last week, about 2.5 million dongs worth. Predictably she left it in a Mai Linh taxi.

But she had the taxi number so she called the Mai Linh office. The people there made inquiries and, yep the driver of the cab found it. So she can get it back? Sure, just need to wait for the taxi driver to be back on shift. So far, he has been on days off, at lunch, changed shift and and and.

Guess what his wife/GF is getting for Christmas?