Mailing packages to Mexico

What is the best way to send packages to your new home in Mexico.  I have linens and kitchen stuff to send.

I would not send anything by "mail".  UPS and Fed Ex will be more secure.....but nothing is truly safe.  Personally I would just buy what is needed in Mexico.      LOTS  CHEAPER!  And yes
you can buy quality items in Mexico. .

Regular mail is not trustworthy on the Mexican side.It depends what you are sending via ups dhl etc.I have tried to send clothes and shoes through ups and the boxes have been returned to sender each time.I have mailed boxes of books no problem what so ever.So in my experience it depends on the contents of your packages.

Hello,

our business directory will surely help you ?

Here is a list of movers in Mexico. Maybe you could ask them how much it would cost ?

Moving household goods into Mexico.................getting things INTO mexico is a hassle BUT trying to get them out when you return to the US is a nightmnare.   I moved furniture for a 3 bedroom house  to Mexico. 
When I decided to return to the US part time  and only spend part of my time in Mexico in an apartment  I wanted to bring some of the furniture  back. 

No USA moving companies will come into Mexico and pick up furniture.
Mexican companies want ridiculous $ because they know they have the "upper hand".  It is the customs inspection that is horrific. ICE  will be checking for drugs in  mattresses, upholstered items, and every place else imaginable among your furnishings some of which will be damaged in the process.

It really isn't worth the time, money and trouble to plan on bringing items  back if you decide to return.  Any treasured pieces, heirlooms, antiques, whatever that you may want to use again stateside, probably shouldn't accompany  you to Mexico.

Melody I have to pretty much agree with the others.
The mail is definitely not the way to go. UPS, FEDEX abd DHL are best for very small items. All are very expensive. My daughter recently sent some letters by mail, that was 3 weeks ago and it cost $50. I can't track them and have no idea if or when they will arrive. She checked and apparently they sat in the aduana office for a week. Who knows where they are now.
  I received a memory card from Mexico city by Fed ex that took about a week. Amazon sent some shoes and that took about two weeks. Once you are here you can get some things that you can't buy here through Mercado Libre which is like a Amazon/ e-bay  store that can sell you things from the U.S. pretty reasonably.

Most U.S. companies won't ship to Mexico. You would be much better off bringing the critical stuff and buying other things here, as Ann says it is often much cheaper here and you can usually get similar items. Most kitchen and linen things can be found here. Electronics and make up are two of the things you would be better off bringing. specific seasonings are also something you might want to bring.Like Himalayan salt,tarragon, etc. The salt here is the standard white salt with fluoride often added and Chedruai sometimes has sea salt.
You know what you use everyday, if it fits in your suitcase or car bring it.

DO NOT send stuff via UPS, FEDEX or US Mail!!! It will be held at customs and after they force to pay anywhere from $100-$1000 us dollars or even more, they will then put it on a hold for up to 3 months. Your very best option is to hire a "broker" to ship any household stuff. Not sure what state you are in, I live in CO and had to find the broker in Florida. But really it is the only way to be able to get stuff into Mexico without wanting to throw yourself off a bridge. Oh, the nightmares we have had.

You are obviously not shipping small items to Mexico. If we need anything larger than a shoe box we wait until we  can pick it up on the next trip to the U.S. Mail using the U.S. mail is very slow, a month or more can go by but it gets there. We have had no problem with UPS,FEDEX, or DHL all have delivered in about a week. I suspect it is what you are trying to ship and what route you use. You are probably paying import tax on big ticket items. We have never had the cost or problems you have had. We have also never had to pay at the border  As always the best advice is buy the appliance, furniture or kitchenware in Mexico don't ship it in and bring electronics with you when you come down. It's often cheaper in Mexico so save yourself the hassle.

how to settle or how to get a job in mexico?

@travellight - yes, you would think I was sending a couch or silverware or something like that. Not even close. One of the shipments was 8 place-mats, cloth, made by a friend of mine that we were forced to pay some mercantile tax and they didn't get to our place for 6 weeks after that. Another was 2 boxes of Stove Top stuffing, as that is one of the few things we cannot find. It was held hostage for an agricultural tax and we were told we would have to pay $100.00 u.s. and it would be held for 8 weeks. The place-mats were made by a dear friend, so we caved and paid and waited. The stuffing we decided they could stuff themselves with ;-)  Another time, I sent a box, half the size of a shoe box and weighing around 1 lb, containing a few Christmas ornaments that my niece and nephew (ages 3 and 6) had made for our Cancun Christmas tree. Again, an email stating we must pay $128.00 u.s. and would be held for 6 weeks. My brother was kind enough to have the kids re-make the ornaments, which I brought down myself. So, no I was not sending "big ticket items", or anything of real value. 
I have never had a problem "overnighting" documents, credit cards and greeting cards (overnight being in parentheses as there is no such thing if it is going to Mexico, but it will get there within a week or so).  If I may ask, are you in Cancun? Maybe you have no problems because of the particular city you are in.

At the moment We are visiting Cancun but we live in Campeche just up the coast from Cancun. I see now why you had so many problems. Given that Mexico is a tourist destination, and that they protect their agriculture and craft market it's totally understandable. Many countries have similar requirements. Getting in and out of Peru or Australia might produce similar problems. That's the type of stuff you pack in your luggage or as in the case of the food perhaps not bring at all. You must have flown in, those place mats wouldn't have been noticed in luggage in the car. If there were only one place mat it probably wouldn't have been noticed, but 8 tripped their problem alarm.

They are understandably concerned about people bringing in crafts to sell, and food that is probably not sold here. The job market is tight and they don't want jobs going to non resident or non natives. You can thank the people who came with a claim of having 500 of one item for personal use. That tends to tighten up the restrictions.

I completely understand what you are saying. If the items even remotely looked like possible resale items I would have understood, but the ornaments were very obviously made by tiny kids, with their pictures and messy "decorations" and the place mats were made by a dear friend who has CP and were VERY obviously not sellable. I get that countries try to protect themselves from importing stuff that they want to sell natively. I have sent home made crafts to Guatemala, Costa Rica, Peru, Argentina, Haiti, and Ghana with absolutely no trouble. Mexico is the ONLY country that I have had difficulties with. I love Mexico, adore it, live there, so I am in no way trying to trash them or put them down. I was simply trying to help answer the question of mailing stuff there.

I understand your position, and for the sake of others, I just wanted to make sure that no one comes away thinking your experience is the norm. I know no one who has had an experience like yours.

Nabin K Suraj wrote:

how to settle or how to get a job in mexico?

Welcome to the forum.

You need to open a new post as this thread has nothing to do with getting work in Mexico and is about mailing to Mexico.

Hi,I have had nightmares trying to ship similar items myself,you are not alone unfortunately

I haven't had a problem ever with packages sent via USPS express international, neither with customs or with missing items.