Bali: buying a retreat center and becoming a resident

Hi! Do you know the aprox. cost of buying a functioning retreat center in Bali?

Also, would that qualify as a PMA Company to become resident?

Thank you so much!

By “retreat center” I'll assume you mean one of the various “boutique” style mini resorts which also operate as Yoga and holistic health venues.  As with any specialized accommodations in Bali, they can run the whole gamut of small “mom and pop” villas to full on 5 star luxury types of resorts. 

Most of these type of places are concentrated in the Ubud area, although some can be found in other areas of Bali.   

I know of a modest villa style “retreat” villa along the Ayung River on about 30 are of land which recently sold for 3.5 million US.   With land in that area now selling for close to $100,000 US per are, even the most modest of retreat resorts is going to be a significant investment. 

You asked,

“Also, would that qualify as a PMA Company to become resident?

Your question seems to suggest that a foreign investor in a PMA company automatically acquires “resident” status, but, that is not the case.  In order for the foreign investor in a PMA or PT company to obtain a work permit, and legally work at the business, a KITAS, or residency visa is required.

Thank you so much for the detailed and informed answer, I am very grateful for that. It means nothing can be started for less than $300k/$00k or so, which is indeed a substantial investment for land only.

Thank you for the clarification about KITAS. My understanding is that, as long as the investment is significant (a few $10k?), the visa is quite automatic. But I also read about a good amount of people who got ripped-off during the process. They thought they paid their fees to the Gov. instead the intermediaries vanished with them etc.

Still, compared to Thailand, an Indonesian KITAS seems more transparent and easier to get, but maybe I am mistaken. It is not a big problem to give away 5% to a local partner, but to give away a substantial stake like required in Thailand, we would basically end up being minor stakeholders.

THANKS!

A great many people make the mistake of thinking that a KITAS (residency visa) is somehow the same as a work permit.  They are entirely different, and each is issued by a separate government agency.  What you might be thinking is that a work permit is “somewhat automatic” if you set up a company here and want to work at running that company.  That is more accurate, and in fact I have rarely heard of any situation where a work permit was denied to a foreigner who had invested in starting up a company here.

To get either a PT or PMA company going here in Bali, yes, the minimum is going to be considerably more than “a few 10k.”

Good luck with your plans.