Some general questions (Postal Services, Lawyers, Water Quality)

couple of various questions which I hope get some answers for:

Firstly been wondering about water on North Coast. I know tap water drinking is a bit dodgy, but what about using it for cooking , which I have been doing?
although seems no problem as water is boiled during cooking, noticed after a while there are some not very healthy looking residues building up in the pots...so is tap water safe for cooking?

Also what is the situation regarding postal services? Thinking about it, never seen an actual post office or something similar in Sosua, but there must be somewhere I am sure, to buy stamps and post letters?
And Is mail reliable receiving or sending? 

Noticed there is a kind of mail handling service at beginning of Pedro Clisante, although not inquired yet as to what services they provide.

Thirdly does anyone know of a notary (or lawyer if required) who speaks a bit of English and is reliable and not charging to much "Gringo Extra" supplement?
Basically just a simple matter, bureaucracy back home needs a certified copy of passport before sending a payment, so just need form filling out and stamped by a legal person like Notary/Lawyer- any idea what this would cost?

oh yeah and the form was sent in PDF format, so need to print it out and I do not have a printer- somewhere in Sosua may provide such a service?

Water is not a bit dodgy it is bad. DO not drink it,  you need to boil it  13 minutes to kill any bugs. SO I dont use tap water for coffee, steaming or anything that cooks less then 13 minutes.

postal service is pretty much non existent.

Sounds like  you need a notary, I will let others answer as I am not in the area any longer.

Ok here goes...

Water ... great for watering plants, washing clothes NOT GOOD for consumption in any form.  So cook with bottled water. At less than dollar for a 5 gal jug it is very cheap to use.

Postal service....a JOKE and does not really exist.  I actually got a Christmas card two years ago in July that was mailed on November 1 the year before.  There is a postal office in the same plaza of Ede Norte on the main highway.  Here you can give them you address and they will put out a basket full of mail of all sorts and age that is addressed to your general neighborhood and you pick through to see if any of it is yours.  Like I said a Joke and not a very funny one.
We very quickly learned to live with out any mail and actually like not getting mail.  If you do need a mail service then do check with EPS on Pedro CLisante.  Very reliable but very expensive.

Most lawyer's offices have a  notary in the office.  If you have a lawyer check with him.  I really does not matter where you go they all tend to rip you off with the cost approaching 1000 pesos per item.

To change form PDF or to print a PDF you might check in the computer store behind Bailys restaurant.  If they can't do It they will tell you where to go to get it done.

Hope all this  helps

Bob K

across from the Europa is a small office.  his name is Polo.  he deals in real estate, autos etc.  has many contacts & doesn't over charge.he can take care of you.  tell him the "gypsy", Tamas sent you.   have had many dealings with him.  ie: dr.license, cedula & even a divorce.   lucked out the divorce cost me $300  total, fees. $0.00 for her. ( exigent circumstances)  give him a try.

thanks for all the replies..looks like one will have to live without mail in DR . But have to send the certified passport copy  to Europe, so somehow will have to be done! 
Perhaps EDS at Clisante may be the only choice or if the worst comes to the worst, try PP or Santiago -or some expensive alternative like courier services (FedEx or something)

re the water been using it for weeks, not died a horrible death yet, but probably best using bottled in future

and thanks Gypsy for the tip re Polo. I shall give it a try... by Europa I assume you mean Hotel Plaza Europa on Clisante...

oh Yeah ...and is there a fax service somewhere?

yes, the hotel europa..  next to the old cmp mens club.  please tell Polo to call or skype me.  thanks.

There are multiple internet "cafes" around the area that can offer you fax service.

Bob K

My experience (in Santo Domingo) is that OUTGOING mail through the Postal Service (INPOSDOM) is very reliable. But not so with INCOMING. I know jewelers who sell online and mail expensive silver and larimar pieces using the Instituto Postal

I've not used them for outgoing at all,  I just do not trust them......   Good to hear of your experience!!!

We haven't used postal service yet either, but our friends, restaurant owners here on the south side of the island use it all the time, getting the mail in and sending it out, and so far very happy with it. I've been told for the last few years it's a great way to mail stuff out, much cheaper than any other courier company of course, and now even good for receiving mail. So I guess the Dominican Postal service has changed a bit since we came here where the packages got lost and appeared a year later.

Maybe in specific locations? I don't know anyone in Santo Domingo who used it or trusted it.  Not sure here in La Romana, haven't tried. Maybe I will give it a shot.....

But please don't blame me please if you are not happy HAHA
To get anything in by mail, you HAVE TO HAVE a postal code / zip code of your place here, which might be a problem sometimes, as not all locations have a proper street address. Good luck!

OMG that is FUNNY......  no worries on blame honey...   BUT postal codes.......too funny.  I cannot get  my landlord, edeste,claro/codetel, Wind, tricom   or ANYONE to agree on my address let alone a postal code......   Imagine.........

Yes, that's why I told you, you need a postal code haha

Nope no one I know here in the North coast area uses it.

Like I said previously last piece of mail I got came 6 months after it was mailed and others I am still waiting for 5 years later.

Bob K

Bob the north coast is a no mail zone.....LOL

Lots of males but the wrong kind.  No postal that is for sure.

Bob K

Oh Bob I am laughing my ass off on that one....

explain the difference between member & contributor.  thanks

Its the number of posts!!!

I use Jayme Minor for my attorney, I know her family in san Antonio, texas. She is in Puerto Plata and is very honest and speaks excellent English. She does not rip off Gringos or anyone else for that matter. Prices are fair also.

Good contact thanks.  It sometimes is hard to find a trustworthy lawyer here.

Bob K