Buying a Property in Gibraltar

Hi & thanks for all the help in the past.

This is my situation. 
I have a good day job & I am self employed.
I dont have a house in the UK but do have a pretty decent deposit saved up.
I want to move & live in Gibraltar but ideally would want to have a mortgage on somewhere there.
How easy do you think this would be?

Thanks in advance and I'll be there for NewYear . cant wait.

Very difficult at the moment.

Historically Barclays were one of the main lenders and they are leaving early next year, unless you have Multi-millions
Also Norwhich & Peterborough are closing 31/12/2014 Lloyds have gone
Natwest the only other UK style High St bank are overwhelmed and also would not want anymore exposure than it has,
There are other less known banks not of UK origin but mostly private banks.

The Gibraltar Government is opening it's own bank early next year, but is already overwhelmed with clients from Barclays etc.in particularly businesses who require a bank service.

Hopefully the situation will stabalise by the middle of next year.

http://www.gibintbank.gi/

Nearly forgot Leeds and the Newcastle Building Societies also are here

Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy, you have been wealth of information. Much appreciated.

Newcastle Building Society is opposite where I live, Maybe I should pop in there.

I imagine I can join the new Gib bank even though I'm not living in Gibraltar?

Thanks

Peter

hi petergib, hi grumpy!

as  grumpy mentioned Newcastle are active still, you'd need 6 months residence in Gib with bank statements and income proof for them to lend... maybe you can join a Gib bank without being there, note they are branches of their international businesses, not the UK domestic businesses, I expect  the new Gib bank will be for residents only, Nat West is the last remaining UK high street one but its Nat West International, HQ Jersey, you could join now but I expect they'd still need 6 mths residence before they'd lend, they told me to come back in 6 mths - very unhelpful!

Thanks guys,

Looks like I've gotta get a job first or save up a lot more.

I do go to Gib 4-5 times a year, so I could pop into the GIB Bank next year.

Got this reply from Leeds Building Society
"Dear Peter,

Thank you for your recent interest in obtaining a mortgage with Leeds Building Society.
Our lending states that you need to be at least 6 months continual employment in Gibraltar before we can consider booking an appointment.  Our appointments are based on affordability so the appointment would be subject to satisfactory income from a Gibraltar based company.
If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards"