Helpful tips for a friend

Hi there :)

Hi there :)

I have an old friend whom I got in contact with lately and she is Egyptian. She asked me about immigrating to NZ and how it's done and I don't really have enough information. Her husband has a masters in pharmacology I think and he'd like to find a job in the marketing area of the pharmacology industry. As for her, she has a Bachelor in communication studies. I would like to help them but I don't know what advice should I give them? I have immigrated long time ago so I don't know what is it like now. Please help me give them helpful tips to say to them. I know they can check the immigration site blah blah blah but sometimes people want to hear from others about their own experience and not just read from the immigration site.

Thank you.

Best thing to do is to contact the nearest NZ Embassy or Consulate for up to date information.

Check this website too www.immigration.govt.nz

Thanks, I will tell her that but I would also like to hear from others about their stories.

Would be very hard to find jobs in areas you specified.

The immigration rules change regularly, even from year to year.  That is why your friend needs to check the immigration website herself.  As for stories, everyone's experiences are different.  I understand you want to help your friend,  but emigrating to a new country with a completely different culture, language, food, lifestyle, etc is one of the biggest decisions anyone can make.  It is important they make that decision alone.  I've met several people who were encouraged to move here by family or friends only to find it was a very bad and very expensive decision for them.  They later felt resentful and angry towards those family members and friends who had encouraged them to come here and their relationships were damaged. 

Age also plays an important role.  It is easier for younger people to adapt to a whole new lifestyle than it is for older people who are much more set in their ways.  No idea how old your friend is but this is actually important.

Perhaps the only tips you should be giving her are links to newspapers (so they can read local topics and get a flavour of the country), links to supermarkets so they can check price and types of food, advice on the general cost of living,  including renting in a specific area.  And of course the Seek website to get an idea about employment.

And she can always join this forum and ask the questions herself.  :)