Bonjour!

Hi everyone!
I am new to this site, so I thought I would introduce myself....
I am from Central Otago, NZ, my profession is vineyard/wine industry.
After briefly visiting/working in France earlier this year, I am dead set on moving to Bordeaux early next year, for work for at least 6 months (permanently would be a dream come true!).

I have loads of questions!:
Any advice on visas or job leads would be much appreciated!! (I am over 30, so WHV is out of the question).
Has anyone tried to get a work visa or seasonal work visa?
Has anyone studied and worked on a student visa?
Bought a car? Or any cheap alternatives (apart from a bike!)?
Opened a bank account?

Cheers!!

Hi Giorgie!

Welcome soon to Bordeaux. Bordeaux is known as one of the favourite towns for French people in France, beaches, seas, moutains, vineyards, and many of other places to visit here.

What are you looking for as a job in wine industry?

Here is a good website for your job seeking in the field of wine industry: http://www.vitijob.com/

In order to get a resident card with the option of work autorization, you should ask your employer in France to deal with the process. And it is the "Prefecture" he should deal with.

To buy a car, you can have a look on this website: http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/aquitaine/.

Othewise, you can send me a private message since I can advise some of many friends who are car salers in Bordeaux.

To open your bank account, it is easy. You need to prepare some required documents and go to the bank. It takes 1-2 days to get your bank account done. You have a lot of choice: LCL, BNP Paris Bas, Crédit Mutuelle, HSBC, Caisse d'Epargne, etc. I don't remember what you need as document, but what is sure is your home statement in France which justify your stay here.

Good luck!

Hey there!
I am also originally from Central (Alexandra) but now living in Dunedin.
Am moving over to Bordeaux on the 21st December and really looking forward to it!

I hear its an awesome place!

However hasn't been so easy to find an english speaking job whilst still in New Zealand.

Good luck with your plans of moving to Bordeaux! :)

Thank you so much for your advice!
Yes, I have been watching the "vitijob" site for a while now....but most are looking for someone who already has a work visa :(
I might have to be a student (easier visa to get, I am told) and work part time maybe...
As for cars, in your opinion, what would a cheap, mechanically sound car cost to buy there? I will PM you closer to when I leave for your car seller friend details...
Cheers!
Andrea.

Ooh awesome! I am in Cromwell!
I wish I was going as soon as you!
I have stayed in Bordeaux a few times, and have decided it is a pretty cool place to be, if only I could live there permanently!  Loads of students there, it kind of reminded me of Dunedin, but with way better food and of course wine, wine, wine!
How long are you going for? Are you on a WHV or another visa type?
Have you checked out "babylangues", they have been advertising for staff, it is child-minding/English teaching for children, with flexible hours to suit, based in Bordeaux. Don't know much else about them sorry.
Are you going to learn french at a language school over there too? I have done a few weeks with Alliance Francaise in Bordeaux and found them excellent, not cheap, but they seem very thorough.
We should keep in touch, would be great to have a yarn to a Kiwi over there :)
Good luck with the job hunt and if I can be of any more help, let me know!

Oh great! I have herd it is a nice part of France! Really looking forward to it. I'm lucky enough to have a British passport, so it's part of the EU, therefore I don't need a visa!
My partner has got a contract playing for their rugby team (Bordeaux Begles) so we will be in Bordeaux until at least June 2015, then decided where to from there!
I am taking Alliance Francaise classes here but only for 2 hours a week! Learning the basics for a start is great, however I think it will be easier to learn over there considering I will need be around french speakers!

Would be great if you kept in touch as to when you are coming over! 😊

Ok so now I am envious!!! The elusive EU/UK passport, lucky thing!
I heard a bit about the Bordeaux rugby team when I was there (one of the first things they tell you, when they hear you are kiwi! :rolleyes: ) But apparently they are very good!
I plan to head over in late April, earlier if I can get a visa sorted sooner.
Will keep in touch!
Andrea :)

Hey Giorgie

I'm sure L'alliance Francaise is good, but why not combine it with the "Meet Up" language exchanges, they are free, and u meet lots of frenchies.

As for jobs, as u know, the restaurant business is always hiring and less interested in working visas...there are several english irish pubs in town.

Also don't forget restaurant "Chez Alriq" with views of La Garonne with bands playing the outdoor stage, where there is also a small bonfire. Greatest place in town if u  ask me. Winter time there are a couple of fireplaces to kkep u warm

Good luck :)

Thanks for the info Sandy!
I am curious about the minimum hours required for student visa.... I have been told 20hrs, but did you get one with 15hrs? I have seen some courses offering 16-18hrs, but have written them off because they where not 20hr..maybe I need to re-look at these (much cheaper options too).
Hope you are having luck finding work!
Would love to meet up with you in Bordeaux! So I will keep in touch :)

Hey Yohan, thanks for the tips... meet up will be perfect for me!
I will definitely check out "Chez Alriq!
As for work....I am hoping to keep within the same industry that I work back here in NZ- vineyards.
But I will certainly consider pubs/restaurants, especially if they are known to be less vigilant on visas :)

bonjour and welcome !!!