Taking a pre moving trip in Feb

I am going over in Feb to look around and see if I can find a place to move to. I was hoping to get some ideas on where to look. I am wanting a place with general modern conveniences, malls, night live ect. I am 46 and retired making about 4000 a month to live on. so I will have to have a place that I can afford on that. I am starting my life over so I have been doing a lot of research on this and hoping this is what I have found. I am looking for a laid back friendly slow paced life. I am tired of stress. I would like to find a few places that might have some expats that I could meet so I could have some that might help introduce me to others. thanks

Hello, future Expat!  First of all, let me commend you for deciding to make a trip to the country first..to check it out and find the right place for you.  Of course, you have to understand that even if you find the right place it may not turn out what you really like after a few months.  That always seems to be the case for new expats checking out what appears to be the right place at first.  So set yourself in a manner so you can readily (and easily) pull out in case it doesn't turn out as you had expected.  It can happen...as it has happened to me a few times in my wanderings around the world.  For what you described, looks like you'll have to live in a medium or large city...where you'll find a sizable population of expats.  Although I have met expats in such remote places as on a small island (Carabao Island...between Romblon and the well-known tourist destination Boracay I. near Panay).  First off that comes to mind...is of course, the Manila area.  I lived there for more than 10 years and know the area very well.  Manila has an abundance of nightlife but most definitely a stressful environment.  The next big city that comes to mind is Cebu.  Not as big (in area) as Davao City...but very vibrant and definitely has great nightlife...and also found the place in abundance of expats.  Then, in smaller scale, but nonetheless has its share of nightlife..but somewhat laid back and relatively peaceful (depends where you prefer to hangout; even found in Manila, areas of relative peace and quiet (believe it or not!)...like Dumaguete City in the province of Negros Oriental; Bacolod City...on the other side of the island, the capital of Negros Occidental.  Then by taking a fast ferry trip from Bacolod you can land in Iloilo City...on the island of Panay.  Just about every good size town...or city in the Philippines has it's share of nighlife and of course, shopping malls.  Most prominent is one called SM mall....with branches in nearly every city in the Philippines.  There may very well be a few more since I was there.  And of course, there are yet many more places to explore right in Luzon...the main island, where Manila is located.  Fortunately, English is quite widely spoken throughout the Philippines...so you need not worry about not being able to communicate...just about anywhere.  I was once on a very remote place outside the northern city of Bontoc..in the Mountain Province where I met local natives (Igorots)...in g-string and jacket...carrying spears.  Had no problem communicating with them in English.  Then I switched to Tagalog...and they were of course, quite surprised that an expat Kano like myself can speak the local language (actually, the local dialect, or language, is the Bontoc dialect, a version of Ilocano).  Expats from different nations are also found most anywhere...but of course, the tendency is for expats to congregate in well populated areas...where most of the action can be found.  My preference is hanging out with local folks.  That's how I learned and became fluent speaking the local major language...Tagalog.  I also speak a version of Visayan..called Ilonggo (or Hiligaynon).   In your case...it is wise to get to know fellow expats at first...before wandering off to places where expats are scarce.  Just be careful and just be watchful whom you associate with.  Most of the local folks I have met there were honest, friendly and helpful...but being an expat, there is always that chance you could attract people with bad intentions or out to rip you off (even expats can do that)...just like anywhere in the world; even in the U.S.  Just be alert...let your instincts guide you.  I ran into a person once when I needed directions...who went a bit more overboard than expected....overly helpful, willing to accompany me all around so I don't get lost.  Without sounding ungratefuI,  thanked him and told him that a friend is meeting me (at some location) so I do not need further help.   He didn't know that I speak Tagalog as well as he does. 

That's about it..in general.  If you have more specific questions...post it here and I'll try my best to give you the right answer/information.  I am certain also...that there are others in this forum who can provide you with information you need.  Best of luck in your ventures.

On that you can live a good life any were here.  You need consider internet if you have a business. It is very bad here. So a bigger city. over 500,000 will have a mall and such.  1 million and more several malls.  Meeting expats you need get out and about here and meet them.  Consider what you want and do a internet search each area is a little different.

Utilities can be a concern as many areas have daily brownouts and water can be an issue. With $4k a month you should be able to live comfortably nearly anywhere, providing your lifestyle is not extravagant. If you choose an area where it is hot, (lowlands or close to the beach), then brownouts also mean no AC to cool you down. Water can be a well, but with no power, no water.
If you rent and that is advisable until you decide where you want to grow roots, condos and apartments sometimes have generator backup but usually only in a higher end building. Cheaper is not always better and with apartments and condos cheaper usually does not mean better and also noisy. The balcony is where you go to talk loudly on your phone so the whole world can hear.

We have chosen our area near Tagaytay Cavite, for these reasons. Cool climate, dependable Meralco power, Silang water district water, proximity to three hospitals, approximately 1 hour from Manila and the airport and government offices, 3 hospitals within 15 minutes, recreation close by, yes plenty of expats, restaurants, 2 major malls and 1 small mall within 20 minutes with a District mall nearing completion in Tagaytay, considerably less traffic than Manila and it's suburbs except for the weekend tourist traffic, 3 open air markets within 15 to 20 minutes, plenty of qualified craftsman and 20 mins from the Toyota, Honda, Ford and Mitsubishi auto dealers (if you want a car). Public transportation and major highways close by.  We have Cignal satellite TV (Dish) and Globe internet (some areas have fiber to the home). We have found both to be very dependable and our wireless internet works great with having close proximity to three cell towers.

We built a home on a lot in a subdivision with great amenities, our choice (not for everyone), in a place without fault lines or flooding problems. Fresh water springs and a clean developed stream with swimming and also pools, walking path and picnic facilities on site. Crime is limited to an occasional drunk and the surrounding area is clean and peaceful.

Areas around us include, Silang (our home on the Tagaytay border), Amadeo, Mendez, Indang and Alfonso. All areas where the climate is cool and beaches are about 45 minutes away.

You can start checking online for homes and rentals, etc., with online papers such as:
Ayosdito  http://www.ayosdito.ph/  or
OLX (formerly Sulit)
http://www.olx.ph/index.php/classifieds … nce/Cavite

Most of the storms roll in from the Pacific side making the South China sea side of the Islands a little calmer when it comes to the rainy and typhoon season.

When buying anything in the Philippines do your homework first, check double check and recheck especially with land and automobiles. Don't flash your cash and humility and a friendly smile go a long way. Don't give to beggars as they are usually in groups and if one sees you handing out cash, you will be mobbed and maybe pickpocketed. When taking a taxi, check for registration numbers on the cab and painted in the cab. Don't make trip deals, use the meter and the yellow cabs in Manila may cost a little more but they are usually a little safer. If the cab has another passenger in it, walk on by. Check to see if the door handles and locks work from within and the AC is working, windows up avoids unwanted attention and a snatcher. 

Younger women will also treat you like you're Brad Pitt and a real stud. Are you?  If not, watch out, you do have a dollar sign on your forehead to some and scammers in the night life scene abound.  A good woman is generally not in most bars and clubs in the big city.

I have not had any problems while living in the Phil and find my life here with my family is peaceful and relaxing. The above cautions are something anyone who lives here for awhile are aware of. Be alert, be smart and you'll be safe and have a great time.

You can try bonifacio global city , you can find everything in there , clubs , malls and you can rent condominiums walking distance to the malls , restaurants but a bit costly for Filipinos , it will cost you around 30,000 to 40,000 , you have other options of condominiums in acacia estates that will cost you 20,000 to 25,000 thousand a month depends on the size , they have nice community with a supermarket inside the community with a lots of sports facilities around 10 minutes driving to the malls , very accessible to the airport and makati , you can have a good living with your $4,000 a month and if you need a cool place , AC will help you ......hope this help !

Well I think maybe Naga city might suit as well, or one ot the suburbs or seaside villages, definitely stress free, , except if u drive in the city, I personally know 20 expats and know off guite a few more.
some meet weekly for a few beers.
but I agree that you should rent till u find
your perfect place.
naga has many bars, some off them girlie bars, SM mail with others being built
u can live very well even eat out all the time
on your budget
Pete

Hi Dilli! I would like to suggest that you also visit my hometown Angeles City. There are many expats living there, there are also night clubs, very near airport and you can travel to Puerto Prinsesa, Cebu and other nearby countries. You will like it there. If you have kids there are also good schools.  $4k is a tremendous money I suggest that you save half of that for emergency or buy a property in the future. Electricity is also not a problem, I work from home in Angeles City but I transferred in Quezon City, I still work from home and study on weekend. Feel free to contact me if you need help or have any questions.

mytrustedbroker wrote:

Hi Dilli! I would like to suggest that you also visit my hometown Angeles City. There are many expats living there, there are also night clubs, very near airport and you can travel to Puerto Prinsesa, Cebu and other nearby countries. You will like it there. If you have kids there are also good schools.  $4k is a tremendous money I suggest that you save half of that for emergency or buy a property in the future. Electricity is also not a problem, I work from home in Angeles City but I transferred in Quezon City, I still work from home and study on weekend. Feel free to contact me if you need help or have any questions.

Angeles City also a good place to find female companionship.