Expat having a baby here in Vietnam

Can any British or Aussie expats advise me on having a baby here in Vietnam.
Advice regarding birth certificates / citizenship / nationality etc. appreciated.

I hold both British and Australian Passports as a British national who migrated to Australia as an infant I'm only considered an Australian citizen not a native, unfortunately.
I asked the Australian consulate for advice and they sent me a link to a webpage about how my child can apply for a citizenship, it was a little confusing I must say. I'm not sure how an infant is supposed to fill in all the forms (joke). My point is it isn't directed towards a parent bringing a child home, its directed to the child as if she were already an adult.

My wife told me sometimes doctors here can do something about birth certificates if the father is a foreigner, but I haven't any further information than that. Does anyone have any experience in this matter they could perhaps share with me?

Do yourself AND JUNIOR a favour. Get as many passports as possible.

The hospital will issue the equivalent of a long-form birth certificate. GET A VN PASSPORT FIRST and IMMEDIATELY.

AFTER the VN passport is registered then proceed and get the other registrations completed - Australian and UK.

I know a family with two children, one is registered in VN and the other is not. They have to do border runs for the non-Vietnamese registered child. VN citizens can visit all other ASIAN countries without a visa!

If you don't get the VN passport/citizenship first and you answers questions truthfully - they will deny you a VN passport.

What is your wife's citizenship?

P.S. Every question I asked of the UK consulate gets an answer with a URL in it. Don't know what they do all day.

Hi thanks for the advice.
My wife is Vietnamese national.

Rikka wrote:

All the more reason to get junior VN citizenship - and the order of registration is important, remember, and that means the VN passport issued before registration anywhere else.

My daughter has VNese, Canadian, UK and USA citizenships. She was born eighteen years ago - before DNA. Don't be surprised of they ask for DNA - one sample but several Certificates. They have to be done by designated doctors/labs.

Jaitch wrote:
Rikka wrote:

All the more reason to get junior VN citizenship - and the order of registration is important, remember, and that means the VN passport issued before registration anywhere else.

My daughter has VNese, Canadian, UK and USA citizenships. She was born eighteen years ago - before DNA. Don't be surprised of they ask for DNA - one sample but several Certificates. They have to be done by designated doctors/labs.

Hi Jaitch,

Is it so difficult to get a Vietnamese passport when the baby was born overseas? Even the mother is a Vietnamese national?

noah83 wrote:

Is it so difficult to get a Vietnamese passport when the baby was born overseas? Even the mother is a Vietnamese national?

No. She is considered an involuntary Viet Kieu. The main thing they look at is the Vietnamese blood line.

Example. A Montagnard of the Ede minority, who had fought for the French, when they were here, was taken to France as the VNese were doing a number on these 'traitors'. This man, from Ede, DakLak Province, then married a French citizen. Their union produced two girls of mixed French and Montagnard heritage.

One daughter then married a man from Algeria and they have children. So, by my reckoning, the daughter was 50-50% French-Vietnamese. The children, therefore, must be 50% Algerian, 25% French and 25% Vietnamese.

The daughters (of the Montagnard) obtained their Vietnamese citizenship through the local VN Embassy (the Ambassador even held a private ceremony at which their paperwork was presented) and subsequently the grandchildren of the Montagnard have gained Vietnamese citizenship in addition to their French citizenship.

So gaining citizenship for your daughter whose Mother is Vietnamese should be a breeze.