Getting a driving licence in vietnam without holding any other form.

HI,

If you dont have any type of driving licence and want to drive in vietnam can you take a test there as an english speaking person? i dont speak any vietnamese at all! (Yet).
Thanks.

Charlie.S1 wrote:

If you dont have any type of driving licence and want to drive in vietnam can you take a test there as an english speaking person? i dont speak any vietnamese at all! (Yet).

Anyone can take the test, even English uni-lingual people.

The test, however, is in Vietnamese. Maybe it is the Transport Department's way of promoting Vietnamese.

You can buy driving test books, with all the questions in Vietnamese, from FAHASA and other fine book stores. There are also rest preparation aids on the InterNet, in Vietnamese and English.

It took me seven attempts to pass the 'written' - the trick I used was to look for key words.

I wonder when the test will be translated into English, seeing as so many English speaking expats now reside in Viet Nam.

Good luck taking the test, as Jaitch said it took him 7 times, so it's a long slow haul.

Starting Jan 1, 2015,  VN will be issuing International Drivers Licences and will accept International Liceneses from other countries...

Ducati69 wrote:

Starting Jan 1, 2015,  VN will be issuing International Drivers Licences and will accept International Liceneses from other countries...

Not such a big deal ... full VN licences are unresricted.

It's good if you travel here and want to ride a bike without having any trouble from the law.

Jaitch wrote:
Ducati69 wrote:

Not such a big deal ... full VN licences are unresricted.

Yes and no, limited to include the day, where the Visa/residence ends, on the papers submitted

Ducati69 wrote:

Is there anywhere i can find more info on this?

I found the January 1, 2015 International license here:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vi … 33942.html

I'm debating whether to get my Vietnamese license before or after January 1, 2015. Only thing slowing me down is the difficult process of getting a health certificate.

Judging from the article I posted sounds like the pilot project only applies to big cities and not to Bien Hoa where I am now.

Go to the drivers testing area wait 5 min.  A broker will come up and they will sell you one for 3 tr vnd(corruption) yes it's real.  I have my car truck and bike transfered to a viet one in saigon.  I never needed a health check.  Filled out the paperwork and got a 5 year license.  Cost me like 80 bucks.

I just came across this     http://hcmc.angloinfo.com/ for no m/bike licence.
The link doesn't take you directly to that page, you need to click on Transport, then Driving licences. Then driving test.
The Tests
Applicants will need to take a theory test. The test is available in English, but English testing is not done regularly. The local driving licence departments can advise when and where the next English test is scheduled. The theory test for an automobile licence consists of 450 questions. The theory test for a motorcycle licence consists of 150 questions.

crazy fuss wrote:

Go to the drivers testing area wait 5 min.  A broker will come up and they will sell you one for 3 tr vnd(corruption) yes it's real.  I have my car truck and bike transfered to a viet one in saigon.  I never needed a health check.  Filled out the paperwork and got a 5 year license.  Cost me like 80 bucks.

To which drivers testing area are you referring to ???

John Red wrote:
crazy fuss wrote:

To which drivers testing area are you referring to ???

To be honest I've been wanting to know about that actually. I have both driving and motorcycle license for 1000cc but it's no use since I've to get a new one here in vietnam in order for me to use such vehicles and I forgot to bring my original copy of my driving license to get it endorsed.