Help- confused by the tax!

Hello
Please help me! The tax law is so confusing!
I have been in KL since August 28th 2014 and am staying until at least July 2015. I have planned a Christmas holiday, less than 14 days, I go to the Philippines on dec 21st and return jan 1st. I have recently heard about the tax year thing. So, does this mean that my 182 days will reset because I'm not in KL on dec 31st?
I am so confused!
Thanks!

No, the rule about 31 December was abolished several years ago. But the 182 days is per calendar year. You will need to do 182 days in 2015 and that can then be linked to 2014 and your will get a tax equalisation in April 2016 when you submit your tax return. Be careful to fulfil the 182 days in 2015 or you will be taxed 25/26% flat rate for both years. Ooch.

Gravitas no one told the tax office they still think you have to be here at 31 Dec. All major multinationals I know still advise that this is still law. They have the best tax people.

But this is Malaysia I wouldn't be surprised if tax officers still enforcing obsolete rules. But fact is dangerous to risk being out of Malaysia on 31 Dec.

Thanks for your help.
Assuming I submit my tax forms as soon as my 182 days is up (which I now believe is in June), when could I expect the return? Do I have to be in the country?

Well as part of your leaving process, you will need to get your work permit cancelled or shortened to state your last working day.

Then you can take that proof to the tax office in Cyberjaya and the leaving form (Leaver C.P. 21) that you get from your employer or payroll company, and that will then be processed. You will also have to fill in the BE Form for 2015 up to the date of leaving. Dont forget to fill in the BE Form for 2014 and submit it in April next year, or else you wont be able to link the two tax years together.

I guess it will take about 30 days max to get the money into your bank account. Keep your flight itineraries at the ready.

Dont forget to take your passport with you.