Need Help

I am Australian mum, my  family will be  moving to Bahrain in January 2015. We have 2 daughter ages 3 & 5, and we are looking for schools for them to start in January with after school care as I will be going back to work full time. We can drop our kids off at school and 8 am and pick them up at 5 pm? Are there any schools out there offering after school care/ activities? Please point me to the right direction. We are not looking to employ a maid.
Thanks Michelle

Hi,

I've suggested this elsewhere on the forum previously, but I'd recommend you try posting on the Mums in Bahrain Facebook page. You'll get many more responses to this type of question on there than you would here.

Thank you :)

Most of the schools do after school clubs but schools tend to start a lot earlier than 8am. Registration is around 7.15am and senior school finish around 2.30pm and juniors between 12pm and 1pm. This is due to the extreme heat. So even if they did afterschool clubs you will still see them coming home around 3.30pm when older or 1pm to 2pm at their ages. I believe you will be much better off with a maid/nanny and a driver.

All the schools are very full so if you are planning on moving you need to get the kids to take the entrance exams and get on the waiting list.

Nadeem school in Adliya is a really good school but stops at year 7. St Chris and BSB are also good schools. St Chris Admin staff leave a lot to be desired though (but just ignore their bad attitudes)

Riffa Views IS starts at 8 and runs to 3 - it also does have after school clubs, but they end at 415 and you'd have to find one every day.  Some varsity sports (older kids - sorry) start later - but only in the winter months because of the heat.

In terms of admission I know they are still growing and are showing parents the grounds - though I am not certain if it is for a current registration or for the upcoming school year.

It would be well worth trying to locate a driver/maid if possible just as Jo suggested.  You won't find a school that starts any later than 8 and have clubs that run all the way to 5 all the time, every day of the week I fear.

Best of luck!

Josnuggles wrote:

Most of the schools do after school clubs but schools tend to start a lot earlier than 8am. Registration is around 7.15am and senior school finish around 2.30pm and juniors between 12pm and 1pm. This is due to the extreme heat. So even if they did afterschool clubs you will still see them coming home around 3.30pm when older or 1pm to 2pm at their ages. I believe you will be much better off with a maid/nanny and a driver.

All the schools are very full so if you are planning on moving you need to get the kids to take the entrance exams and get on the waiting list.

Nadeem school in Adliya is a really good school but stops at year 7. St Chris and BSB are also good schools. St Chris Admin staff leave a lot to be desired though (but just ignore their bad attitudes)

Thanks Jo. . This  will be my first experience to find someone to look after our kids as I have been a stay at home mum for 5 years. I am a bit afraid, and wondering where I can get someone reliable to look after them after school.

We have contacted BSB and st Christopher and hope we can get our kids in on the waiting list.

relwell wrote:

Riffa Views IS starts at 8 and runs to 3 - it also does have after school clubs, but they end at 415 and you'd have to find one every day.  Some varsity sports (older kids - sorry) start later - but only in the winter months because of the heat.

In terms of admission I know they are still growing and are showing parents the grounds - though I am not certain if it is for a current registration or for the upcoming school year.

It would be well worth trying to locate a driver/maid if possible just as Jo suggested.  You won't find a school that starts any later than 8 and have clubs that run all the way to 5 all the time, every day of the week I fear.

Best of luck!

Thank you :)

If you don't have to go to work immediately then you will be fine. Not sure if you are the reason for moving or your husband so it's hard to give advice. If you do have time then just settle in and take a couple of months to find the right person. Most people post on a facebook page called mum's in Bahrain classifieds and what you will find is that someone leaving the country will need to find a new family for their maid/nanny etc. I would start looking there now, contact people via PM etc - you can do local maid visa transfer if you wish (PM me for more details)

Great Idea. Many thanks