Retiring early on US Social Security, at age 62: Sosua vs Sarasota

Thanks so much to Bob and Planner/Expert and others for the great threads and information on the North Coast.

After redoing my budget for living on North Coast, listening to good advice here . and adjusting my Budget up a bit for housing and after taking into account that I need to work part-time to have enough money, for my first 5 years of early retirement from US on Social Security, because I'm not wealthy and do not have a wife/girlfriend..... I'm close to figuring out that I may be better of retiring in Sarasota than Sousa, even though I prefer Sousa.  I did cross budgets on both. 

It may be because I'm single versus having a partner to share expenses with.  The rent in the DR will be a little less, but other utilities will be more and the food more, not to mention I was NOT planning on having a car there, while I can easily have one here in Sarasota.  And I will have access to Medicare here, but not there.

I can work at Lowes or Home Depot in Sarasota for $10 per hour and make more part-time/30 hours in Sarasota($12000/year) versus working full time as an English Teacher at an International School in Sousa($6000 per year).

Damn the luck:)

JD

Good luck to you. Remember medicare usually does not kick in till age 65

Bob K

It is easy to give others advice! You are the one to make the decision where your quality of life will be better and where you will be happier! My plan was to take my 30 yr Florida Teacher Pension and some other small assets and retire to Sosua but along one of my trips I met a girl and got married.  We have been married almost 5 yrs and have a daughter 2 yrs 3 months and another due June 8th! I would have lived well in Sosua and as I see it everything in life is a trade off and happiness can be found in different ways.  I would never trade what I have now with a beautiful wife child and life.....but being single in Sosua was fun too!  By the way I am 54 and will work 3 a couple more school yrs once this school yr is over,.....then hopefully to a life in the Dominican Republic!

Thanks for the message pmey27, after more consideration and a closer look at my budget and the cost of living in Sosua, Sosua is indeed back into the picture.  Thanks to the bloggers here who helped me so far, Darlene, Bob and Gypsy.

Good luck and there are some great expats in Sosua as well as the locals...your days will not be boring.

JD glad to see you are re considering us here on the north coast :)

Bob K