Garden city school reviews

Hi there
Just wondering if anyone on here as any experience with garden city international school. Would like to hear the good and the bad. Thanks

A few comments from other forums:

Well we've been in GIS for 3 years now and yes the results are good, but as per one of Nemo's earlier postings, I have discovered that a surprisingly high number of these 'good results' are due to the children having PRIVATE TUTORS.

These private tutors are hired not due to over zealous or over achieving parents but purely because they found that the children NEED it, as there is unfortunately, now how can I put it, something missing in the education received at the school.

So, if your focus is academic, then GIS may not be your choice of school.

As clearly conveyed to the parents attending a recent presentation by the heads of school, quote "It is YOUR choice", the school does not want to pressure the kids in case they become "mentally" unstable.

What confuses me about GIS is that they say on their website 70% of 151 students got A or A*. trouble is that is too few for such a large school? How many yer 11s didn't sit exams! A lot of international schools play that game. All parents should ask "how many started year 11" as if a 50 didn't sit exams say that means approx 50% in reality in line with international averages. I know smaller schools do that fiddle! All parents must be careful!

Best value for money in Malaysia: ELC. Not easy to get in as it is very popular (sadly my own kids weren't able to go). The owner is a fantastic woman.
Alice: if you like education circa 1950's with added racism, this is the school for you.
Garden: Last two Principal's were good (one before last very well liked & admired amongst parents and fellow Principals. Jury is out on the current one. Overall: seen better days on the owners know this (extensive refit planned soon)

Thank you kindly for that post. I'm currently considering relocating from Melbourne to take up a teaching post at this school. I would love to hear from any teachers.

Hi it is one of the better schools and pays well so I would take the job if I were you.

Pays well - meaning RM15-20 per month package on international pay scale.

GIS used to publish their pay scales. From 18k upwards (a few years ago). Haven't seen their recent pay scales but were generous with responsibility allowances.