Would be to visit Ecuador

Hi my name is Sondra,

I have been researching possible retirement destinations, I was leaning towards Vietnam but unfortunately foreigners are not permitted to retire there permanently.  Ecuador was my next choice so here I am.  I would love to live in a small town near the water but close enough to a large r town/city where I have access to artistic/cultural community.  I love museums, opera etc.  What I do NOT want is a 2nd America.  I really want to live in a mixed community of both expats, of all countries, and locals.  As what would be the point of living there if all I interact with are Americans.  I want to live a simpler and healthier lifestyle.

I want to learn everything I can so that I can make an informed decision.  Then my next step would be to visit Ecuador.

thanks

sjpersonal wrote:

I would love to live in a small town near the water but close enough to a larger town/city where I have access to artistic/cultural community.  I love museums, opera etc.  What I do NOT want is a 2nd America.

Cuenca has rivers and is near Parque Nacional Las Cajas, which has many lakes.  Access to culture there is unquestioned.

Our Cuenca-based brothers and sisters might have more to say on thus, but I suspect you could live in areas in or near Cuenca that would not feel like Gringolandia.

cccmedia, Quito

Hi Sondra,

I am not sure what you meant by "water." If it was the beach, then I'm afraid, I will be way off base here. However, if you meant fresh water, then you might consider looking into Vilcabamba.  It is a small town that developed at the point of the confluence of five rivers and water is abundant. Many artists and and people who want to define themselves in their own ways have been drawn to what is called The Sacred Valley. It is about a 40 minute drive from Loja, a town that has both good shopping and great cultural activities. There are quite a few expats in the Vilca community. However, because Vilca lies in a valley surrounded by mountains, most expats can live miles apart and never see each other. I used to live abroad, and, like you, I preferred living with locals rather than other North Americans. What I like so much about Vilca is that the expat community is much more international than North American. It's also a community that is aware of the changes taking place as a result of this influx, and, because of this, a wonderful organization called Vilcabamba Mundo has been set up to help the expats acclimate to their new surroundings (ex, Spanish lessons are free of charge) and locals the opportunity to learn more about the new people who love Vilca (locals are also offered free English classes).

Vilca is well-known for its healthy lifestyle. As it was once one of the poorest of areas in EC, much of the land is organic as locals never applied fertilizers or insecticides to the land. As a result, many people have moved there to grow organic food and to simplify their lives.

I have been lucky enough to find a small adobe in a community 10 minutes outside of Vilca where I will be the only expat. I am looking forward to my opportunities to learn from my neighbors and to become a part of m new community.

If anything I have mentioned seems like it might be of interest to you, please feel free to pm me and I would be glad to help you in any way that I can.

Be well...

cccmedia wrote:
sjpersonal wrote:

I would love to live in a small town near the water but close enough to a larger town/city where I have access to artistic/cultural community.  I love museums, opera etc.  What I do NOT want is a 2nd America.

Cuenca has rivers and is near Parque Nacional Las Cajas, which has many lakes.  Access to culture there is unquestioned.

Our Cuenca-based brothers and sisters might have more to say on thus, but I suspect you could live in areas in or near Cuenca that would not feel like Gringolandia.

cccmedia, Quito

Hi thank you for the information, I should have been a little more specific regarding what I am hoping for.  I would really prefer living close to the ocean.  I want to be able to walk to the local market for fresh fish and produce.  Not a touristy area, if such an area still exists LOL! 

Thanks again.

Susan F. wrote:

Hi Sondra,

I am not sure what you meant by "water." If it was the beach, then I'm afraid, I will be way off base here. However, if you meant fresh water, then you might consider looking into Vilcabamba.  It is a small town that developed at the point of the confluence of five rivers and water is abundant. Many artists and and people who want to define themselves in their own ways have been drawn to what is called The Sacred Valley. It is about a 40 minute drive from Loja, a town that has both good shopping and great cultural activities. There are quite a few expats in the Vilca community. However, because Vilca lies in a valley surrounded by mountains, most expats can live miles apart and never see each other. I used to live abroad, and, like you, I preferred living with locals rather than other North Americans. What I like so much about Vilca is that the expat community is much more international than North American. It's also a community that is aware of the changes taking place as a result of this influx, and, because of this, a wonderful organization called Vilcabamba Mundo has been set up to help the expats acclimate to their new surroundings (ex, Spanish lessons are free of charge) and locals the opportunity to learn more about the new people who love Vilca (locals are also offered free English classes).

Vilca is well-known for its healthy lifestyle. As it was once one of the poorest of areas in EC, much of the land is organic as locals never applied fertilizers or insecticides to the land. As a result, many people have moved there to grow organic food and to simplify their lives.

I have been lucky enough to find a small adobe in a community 10 minutes outside of Vilca where I will be the only expat. I am looking forward to my opportunities to learn from my neighbors and to become a part of m new community.

If anything I have mentioned seems like it might be of interest to you, please feel free to pm me and I would be glad to help you in any way that I can.

Be well...

Hi Susan, first of all Thank You for all of the information.  Initially I was hooked on the idea of living near the ocean, but I have heard about Loja and it's cultural activities.  What I want my typical day to be is walking to the local outdoor market for fresh fish/seafood and produce, meeting up with friends at local cafe's learning Spanish, a must LOL!.  In your post you mentioned that you will be the only expat in your community, while I do not wish to be the only english speaking expat my whole purpose for moving there would be to learn about Ecuador from Ecuadoreans.  Vica sounds interesting and I will research it more.  When do you plan to move to Ecuador, unfortunately I still have 10 or a little more years to go (I'm making a SAD face right now).  But I will definitely try to take a trip there within the next few years.

Thanks again,
Sondra

When I mentioned the community where I will live, it is in a small area where only locals live, and I'm comfortable with the fact that I will be living close to the people who can tell me the most regarding my new home. Ecuadorianos are amazingly friendly and helpful, and I will do my best to give as much as I will receive. However, I am only 10 minutes from town, and I know I will be participating in life there as being part of the developing expat community means very much to me as well.

Yes, moving to EC without knowing Spanish would definitely be difficult, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to grow up in San Antonio, Texas and lived on the US/Mexico border, where speaking Spanish was mandate. I highly suggest you focus on Spanish during the time you are planning to head to EC. You will be grateful that you did.

I am leaving the last week in February. I know there will be a lot to be done and to learn when I get there, but life is too short to limit one's growth by shying away from challenges, I think.

I must also add that I think it's great that you are planning ahead for your retirement.

Be well, and be peace, my friend.

Susan F. wrote:

When I mentioned the community where I will live, it is in a small area where only locals live, and I'm comfortable with the fact that I will be living close to the people who can tell me the most regarding my new home. Ecuadorianos are amazingly friendly and helpful, and I will do my best to give as much as I will receive. However, I am only 10 minutes from town, and I know I will be participating in life there as being part of the developing expat community means very much to me as well.

Yes, moving to EC without knowing Spanish would definitely be difficult, in my opinion. I was lucky enough to grow up in San Antonio, Texas and lived on the US/Mexico border, where speaking Spanish was mandate. I highly suggest you focus on Spanish during the time you are planning to head to EC. You will be grateful that you did.

I am leaving the last week in February. I know there will be a lot to be done and to learn when I get there, but life is too short to limit one's growth by shying away from challenges, I think.

I must also add that I think it's great that you are planning ahead for your retirement.

Be well, and be peace, my friend.

Life is Too Short.  Exactly!  Peace & Blessings to you maybe we will meet in the future.

Hi Sondra,

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Ecuador forum for better visibility.