Malta&Tax And Salary Calculator

Hope this is helpful for people.

http://maltasalary.com/

Cheers MC

Hi,

Thanks for the link - couple of thoughts, which perhaps those more knowledgeable might expand on for me please.

I don't have paid employment on Malta - but, maybe one day!

First, I take it the NI is the lowest you could pay? I understand you can voluntarily pay higher (presumably in the hope of a better pension? Or some other benefit?).

Secondly - I'm not sure the calculator takes into account the amount you can earn before paying any tax (which I thought was 8,500 Euro).

Lastly - I thought the tax rate for the default level (18,000 Euro) would be at 15%.

I thought I'd take a look at the link as my other half has just had telephone interviews today for 2 jobs - both at 18000 Euro's coincidently. I had calculated almost exactly the same take home pay but for different reasons and taking into account the items mentioned in my questions. So, I guess there are many roads that lead to Rome (or Valletta in our case!)

Have a great weekend  :)
Matt

Hi Matt,

I am not more knowledgeable but here is the official income tax rate.

https://ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx

NI is nominally 10%. with a cap: you don't pay more than the cap

Income tax in Malta is progressive. That means you nothing on a portion of your income, and then the tax rate increases in bands. The exact tax you pay is calculated based on your income level.

At €18000 tax is 25% but you don't pay 25% tax on of the full amount.

I have a question of my own about NI

For a very low income of €1684 pa, NI = 0
For a very low income of €1685 pa, NI = €795.36

Is this right?

Thank you in advance for shedding light.

For anybody who is gonna check the salary with this calculator: the rates applied are for 2015, not 2014! So your current tax maybe higher (we'll have lower income tax next year).

Also I found a difference of €30 in tax for married rate, but it's immaterial anyway

This calculator doesn't seem to work right! Earning €1 extra shouldn't result in nearly €800 in NIC bill...