Internet

Hi there

Can someone advise me of costs relating to internet and speed.

I currently enjoy 8.93Mbps or 5.63 when using a VPN service.  I currently pay about 22$ per month which also includes all my landline and cellphone calls to about anywhere in the world.

I have just been quoted for DR the following:

1.5 mb /256 kbps for internet.  $55 monthly
2 mb / 512 kbps  $65.00 monthly
3mb /  1 mb  $99.00 monthly
6 mb / 1.5 mb  $138.00 monthly

I will need to download movies etc so what about spped and pricing in  DR?

Thank you

Ducketts

What company and where is this?  Then we can give you some options to compare.

Good Question Ducketts, you beat me to it  :D  by the way planner, what is the speed at your new place and how much are you paying? Is it mobil internet with the little mobil hotspot you can take anywhere or is it home based internet? Which companies do you reccomend? And what speed are you getting? You can use the speed test app on the phone or PC.

One last Question planner, do you know of anyone from the US or Canada who is managing to work remotely in DR by using VOIP or Just online Chat for Canadian or US based companies & are doing well?  I have a friend in PP that has been living there for 15 years doing just that and has never bothered with residencia, not trying to skip out on it, but would rather live there for a while and try out the country before investing all that time and money for something that might not fit. Your wisdom is most appreciated  :thanks:

Thanks for your reply.  The problem is that as I will be renting the property so I have no idea of the supplier.  All I can say is in Sosua I only know of two suppliers, Orange and Claro.  Also as a non resident, is it possible to have a contract for internet and cell phone?

Regards

Ducketts

Okay Sosua - lets wait on Bob who has more info then I have on that area.

Massagewiz -  I know many who are using internet to work from here for offshore companies. In fact I found about  50 of these people jobs! 

So,  in order to do that you need good quality stable internet and almost always a back up, some jobs need a static IP address too.  Your best options Claro/Codetel or Tricom for this.  I prefer Tricom because I just detest  Claro/Codetel. They are great till something goes wrong then they are horrible. 

In Sosua, Tricom is not yet an option. I am told they are expanding to the north coast. In many other areas of the country they are a good option.

My internet is now tied to the new "company" so we are claro/codetel.  It is a corporate account so pricing won't be relevant.

Can you get a contract as a  foreigner - sometimes yes sometimes no.  Most will do pre pago (prepaid service) to start then convert you to post pago (post paid service) when you have a history.  Some won't let you do post pago right away even with a cedula.

As to  not getting residencia right away in terms of working -  while it is illegal and we don't suggest or encourage it,  it is what most do.   IF you can work online it can work for you.

IF you need a job here, again you pretty much  need that cedula to get any type of legal work here.

Thanks planner, you are a doll, when you get a chance, since I know you are still working on that big project, could you test your speed and PM with your upload, download, and ping results? I'm just curious to see what speeds are available in DR, since I have heard they have one of the costliest Internet service in the Caribbean and also one of the slowest. As far as getting those 50 people jobs, are they are expats with residencia? You can PM me if you do not wish to discuss that on the open forum. Thanks. :D

Funny question as we had just got our internet back after a day and a half with out it. Seems we blew up another modem.

Having said that the company you have been quoted is De Lancer which is the biggest internet carrier here in the Sosua area.  We have been using them for years at the $99 3/1 level with NO problems and down load everything including movies.  If you pay in Pesos it actually is $4060 or about $92 a month (just paid my bill to day).

Bob K

Thanks Bob is that 3MB upload and 1MB download? That is quite costly and a bit slow, which would make my previous statement correct, expensive and slow  :(  Have you tested your speed to make sure you are getting what you are paying for? is your internet provided by cable or phone line? If you wish to test your internet and you have a smart phone, you can download and install an app called speedtest for free, it is also available for pc at http://www.speedtest.net/?noflash=1 Let us know what speeds you are getting after testing. Thanks. How is Mom?

4 years ago when I was living in Sosua, I paid $16 us for my cable net.  that incuded the adult option. is it possible to have gone up rhat much? I used delancer also. never had a problem with them.  I think it was about 3 0r 4 bps.  hard to believe a 5 3/4 times increase. you must have a bundled package.  I sure hope so.

With adult option I think you are taking about TV not internet.  TV packages are much lower than the Internet. We use de Lancer only for internet as we have DISH for TV

Bob K

That is a bit pricey  Bob.  I had  tricom in the capital,   6 down and  2up and I paid  1400 RD plus tax of 18%.   So tricom is an excellent option, just not there yet.

And my speedtests  were almost always damn close.

Planner great price.  Nothing like that here on the north coast

Bob K

Bob, you are correct, it was for tv. my internet was almost $20.  still a huge increase.

Thanks for that info planner, and I'm assuming that is a wired home connection not Mobil Internet correct? Thanks again. Ohhhh is that unlimited internet planner or did you have a certain amount of available gigs per month as your data package?

Gypsy right now you can get basic internet for about $40 a month

Bob K

It was wired to house then wifi via router, unlimited!!!!  Then if you get Tricom tripleplay -  cable and houseline you get 20% off everything. Great deal. Only had one issue with them in 4 years.

Wow! planner I like your company already! LoL :cool: That is a pretty good deal, will look in to it. Are you using them again in La Romana? Ohh by the way planner did you ever download that app Ibtold you about.......Vibet? It allows you to make free VOIP calls to friends and family who also have the app, let me know if you get the app, would love to call you and pick you brain a bit when you are not too busy.

thanks Bob. what speed do you get?  $40 is a chunk of change.  here I pay $35 for wi-fi net. 10 mps. excellent service. no problems at all.  cell is $40,  dish tv   .is $39. all function fine.  never had a problem except the fact that I'm not yet in the D.R. !!

Tricom does not have service where I currently live, but they are expanding here too   -  Do you mean Viber???  I have it on my old phone.......... but not my new one BUT it looks like I am going back to my old phone.

Will update in the appropriate thread, not here.

Yup that is the app planner, let me know when you are back on the old line. I passed your info on to my designer friend, she will contact you soon, thanks again and have a great weekend. Hope you can squeeze some dancing in soon, you have been working pretty hard  :cool:

Thanks dancing is on the list.....