Looking for a lawyer

Hello,
I need to contact a lawyer in Amman.  I need help with the construction of a marriage contract. Can you recommend me a particular someone who wants to and is able to advise on specific solutions? Thank you in advance for your help!

hello,

I just wanted to give you my piece hoping that you will never fall victim to the most corrupt legal system in the world. You are getting married so keep in mind the following:
1. There is no civil marriage in Jordan and you have to go through the Sharia courts (Sharia means Islamic courts)
2. If you are a non Muslim and marrying a Muslim then there is no problem
3. I do not think you need a lawyer to go through the needed steps to be able to get married in Jordan, the steps are:
- You need to have a blood test (You and your future husband)
- You need to provide a translated proof that you are not married in your native country, this need to be stamped in the Ministry of External affairs
- You need to get the permission of the Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Then you can go to get married in the court.

I would start by going to the Sharia Court and speak to the clerk, he will make sure that you have all the necessary papers.

Again, please stay away from lawyers in Jordan, they will take your money and give you nothing. The legal system here is very corrupt, you are very lucky because you really do not need a lawyer to get married in Jordan.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

A

Hello,
thank you for such a quick reply!
As I heard one of the steps to marriage is to draw up a marriage contract in which I also I can include clauses guaranteeing my rights in marriage. I meant more about finding the person who would give me advice on what else should I conclude in there.

Oh ok so you want to know the nuts and bolts..or the details for the marriage contract which are really common knoweledge and you do not need some bozo lawyer to take your money and tell you fairy tales. But before I go futher, I would like you to keep in mind the following fact-

NO MARRIAGE CONTRACT ISSUED HERE IN JORDAN WILL PROTECT YOU OR PRESERVE YOUR RIGHTS IN CASE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENES AND YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF YOUR MARRIAGE.

Now, having said that please keep in mind that I am not trying to tell you not to marry your Jordanian man, he could be Mr. Wonderful for all I know, he could be the best thing since sliced bread!!!. I am just stating a fact. This city is full of horrible divorce stories where women end up with nothing more than 80 JD a month after they have dedicated their lives to some asshole who decided to get a younger wife.

Going back to the contract, Do you know what Dowry is? (2 amounts of money that you are entitiled to as part of your marriage contract)
You (the bride) are actualy entitled to the first amount of money to be given to you before you consummate the marriage and is to be spend on your wedding dress, rings, clothes..etc.
The second amount if money is to be given to you after the divorce if there is one.

this two amounts are decided based on the finanical situation of groom and It is not uncommon for the father of the groom to absorb the whole dowry cost.

If the second amount which is supposed to be your "protection" money is normally large. in 99% of the divorce cases, the men will refuse to grant you the divorce unless you give up your right to that money. OR another scenario if you decide to file for divorce yourself, automatically you lose your second amount of the dowry "protection" money. Almost in 99% of the cases, a divorced woman will never see that money if the sum is too large.

As you can see it is a no win situation for women here in Jordan when things go bad in the marriage and they want out.

The nature of your question implies that you have doubts and fears about this marriage. May be these doubts and fears are healthy and justified.
I hope I answered your question, I doubt that any lawyer that you will pay will do a better job explaining the situation. If you have more questions, let me know.

bye now,

A