Why I May Not Vote For President Christie or President Clinton in 2016

On the Talkin' Turkey Thread, Mugtech broached the subject of Expats voting via absentee ballot.

Here's the problem as I see it as someone who moved from the U.S. last year...is not on the voting or tax rolls of any of the 50 states...would like to vote in the next U.S. presidential election...but would not want to be exposed to unnecessary state tax dunning.

(Pennsylvania was sending me letters in Ecuador for a while trying to collect money due to my ex-account having made an error several years ago, and it was annoying.  I ended up getting a small REFUND.)

Anyway, the voting problem:  if I am not registered by a state, I cannot be counted toward that state's electoral vote in the presidential election.

Nor can I vote in state or municipal elections under those circumstances.

If any Expats who have been overseas long enough to vote for U.S. president (and DID vote) have some input on this, please post same.

cccmedia, Quito

It doesn't take much to establish legal residence in many states. Some might have tougher rules than others, but all it takes in most, I think, is a legal residence, which can be a friend's/relative's house or apartment.

Seven states have no income tax -- Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming. Hopefully in one of them you have someone who will lend you their address.

Please do not take the foregoing as legal advice -- it's just a quick thought.

Would a UPS Store address suffice or does it need to be a house/apartment? I was planning to establish a mailing address in Miami at UPS.

I haven't voted for any candidate anywhere since 2000.

As you may recall, there was the 'hanging chad' fiasco, the Supreme Court declared the president, and then later surfacing scandal concerning more than a half a million overseas votes that were 'lost' and uncounted until many months later. Remember how Zimbabwe offered to send in election monitors to help oversee the whole mess?   :whistle:

It's all a huge fraud. I wouldn't get my panties in a twist about it if I were you.

BobH wrote:

It doesn't take much to establish legal residence in many states....

Please do not take the foregoing as legal advice -- it's just a quick thought.

The particulars in your post are extremely pertinent and helpful, Bob.

Does anyone know whether the type of registering Bob described is possible without leaving EC or traveling to the state of record....

cccmedia in Quito

Yeah, voting is kind of a symbolic gesture. Here in the US it's the best candidate money can buy... fraudulent elections are sort of a global thing.

Bob H- no income tax in Oregon (yet)

ccc- maybe you could get in touch with election board in your last place of residence

CCC, can you give us all a site where you read that?

Joanneinict wrote:

CCC, can you give us all a site where you read that?

"Read that": You might have to be more specific, as I don't think anything I posted above was read anywhere, other than on this thread....

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Does anyone know whether the type of registering Bob described is possible without leaving EC or traveling to the state of record....

Apparently, more than twenty states allow online voter registration.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- … ation.aspx

BobH wrote:
cccmedia wrote:

Apparently, more than twenty states allow online voter registration.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- … ation.aspx

It states that to register online they will match you to your state drivers license or other state ID.  Sounds like you might need to use the address on the ID also.  I am willing to bet they will want a street address, a PO Box just won't do

mugtech wrote:

It states that to register online they will match you to your state drivers license or other state ID.  Sounds like you might need to use the address on the ID also.  I am willing to bet they will want a street address, a PO Box just won't do

Good point -- it may be more complicated than just registering to vote.

I use my sister's address in Phoenix for voting, and was using it for tax returns and such while overseas (my bank account uses my daughter's address in Illinois -- I'll have to move it someday, but it doesn't seem to be a problem). It seems to me that using a friend's/family member's address would be better than trying a PO Box. Whether it could all be set up while out of the country or not, I don't know.

Perhaps it would be best to register wherever you have a valid driver's license, or if it expired renew it with a change of address.

May I ask - what seems to me to be - a logical question?

Why would you wish to vote for U.S. president if you live in Ecuador? This is not a sleight whatsoever. I just want to live in Ecuador because I wish to leave this forsaken U.S. land, so I would personally never look back. Besides international implications, I wouldn't bother to think about the USA any longer.

I'm not suggesting, by the way, that this shouldn't be your right. I just want to know why you would still care.

Should you not vote you will become a member of the majority. Over 51% of eligible voters in the USA do not register to vote. The lack of not voting is that a tiny minority of 23%-24% can tip the scale. The friends of the ultra rich now controls both houses, has more state governors and more judges in their pockets. All of our Founding Fathers wrote of their fears the proposed new government would have. Most often mentioned was the loss of the Free Press or an Uneducated Electorate. It would seem to me the they are connected at the hip. The loss of credible news was the loss of educated voters. Today 6 huge corporations control 90% of everything we hear or read about or see. Today's media has become a mouth piece for the Oval Office and their friends. The knowledge level of the voter has suffered. There was once a law on the books which made it illegal to monopolize media (radio, TV and press) market ownership. Did the American public protest the law? No they did not and most cities enjoyed two news papers with opposing editorials. Today one man controls the press in many of our larger media markets. He is not even a Yank!

Think it over.

Regards ... Tom   aka   Don Chema

Keltic Tom wrote:

Should you not vote you will become a member of the majority.

I don't like the majority, either. The majority of American voters gave us Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama. The majority gave us slavery and said that women couldn't vote.

I don't like being in the majority. The majority is normally wrong. The majority votes into power the Republicans and the Democrats. The majority loves free cell phones and foodstamps. None of the majority loves freedom. That's why our Founders didn't choose democracy. They didn't want 51% voting away the rights of the other 49%.

So I ask once again, why do you wish to vote in American elections? Do you feel a need to cast a vote for a Republican tyrant or a Democrat tyrant?

Keltic Tom wrote:

Should you not vote you will become a member of the majority. Over 51% of eligible voters in the USA do not register to vote. The lack of not voting is that a tiny minority of 23%-24% can tip the scale. The friends of the ultra rich now controls both houses, has more state governors and more judges in their pockets. All of our Founding Fathers wrote of their fears the proposed new government would have. Most often mentioned was the loss of the Free Press or an Uneducated Electorate. It would seem to me the they are connected at the hip. The loss of credible news was the loss of educated voters. Today 6 huge corporations control 90% of everything we hear or read about or see. Today's media has become a mouth piece for the Oval Office and their friends. The knowledge level of the voter has suffered. There was once a law on the books which made it illegal to monopolize media (radio, TV and press) market ownership. Did the American public protest the law? No they did not and most cities enjoyed two news papers with opposing editorials. Today one man controls the press in many of our larger media markets. He is not even a Yank!

Think it over.

Regards ... Tom   aka   Don Chema

This country was founded by wealthy white men and is invested, in more ways than one, in keeping it that way. Sounds like you watch too much Fox News.

BrandonBP wrote:

The majority of American voters gave us Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama....

So I ask once again, why do you wish to vote in American elections?

Actually, the Supreme Court and-or the Electoral College -- not the majority -- gave us the second Bush.  Gore received more votes from the public than Bush in the Y2K election.

As to my own voting, note that the name of this thread that I initiated includes "I May Not Vote..."  The fact is that right now, although I am interested in following the election (as U.S. presidential politics has been historically fascinating IMO), I am not feeling motivated to vote.

It has been a habit, as I haven't missed a U.S. presidential election in decades.

However, I don't like the idea of pretending still to be living in one of the 50 states (my last voting address was in Bethehem, PA)...nor the possibility of exposing myself again to the Pennsylvania tax authorities. These factors may be enough to outweigh any desire I have to vote in 2016.

cccmedia in Quito

Yeah, American politics is fascinating. I've become so cynical over the last few years. My ten years in Alaska with 5 minutes of BBC news a day turned me into a news junkie. (You drew that story out of me right "off the grid") Growing up in Conn. you can't help but be interested in politics. Still remember being signed up to vote by some hippie chick outside a health food store in New Haven  decades ago. Things weren't so nasty. Nixon looks like a Boy Scout compared to what goes on now.

I think it's a great topic for expats and those of us still in the States. You won't have to wait so long to know what's happening (2 months yikes). 2016 is still 2 years away. And it ain't over till it's over.

Let's stay on topic.I have to have decent lesson plans for my student in Africa. He thinks African politics are boring something I know very little about.

BrandonBP wrote:

So I ask once again, why do you wish to vote in American elections? Do you feel a need to cast a vote for a Republican tyrant or a Democrat tyrant?

As long as you are a USA citizen your world wide income is subject to USA income taxes.

mugtech wrote:

As long as you are a USA citizen your worldwide income is subject to USA income taxes.

Yes, avatar of Bethlehem, PA, this is true, true, true.

However, as an Expat, not necessarily subject to taxation by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
mugtech wrote:

As long as you are a USA citizen your worldwide income is subject to USA income taxes.

Yes, avatar of Bethlehem, PA, this is true, true, true.

However, as an Expat, not necessarily subject to taxation by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

cccmedia in Quito

Exactly.  The point is, this is why expats might want to take an interest in USA politics, as changes in taxes could change their lives.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Things weren't so nasty. Nixon looks like a Boy Scout compared to what goes on now.  2016 is still 2 years away.

Time has dulled Sue's appreciation for Richard Nixon's deviant nastiness.  She may wish to review the man's sins to recall why he is the only President forced to resign.

2016 is only one year, one month and one week away.

cccmedia in Quito