USA Ten-year Visa; is the 180 day limit still in effect?

I am getting a variety of answers and nothing i can find current on the Web. After the attack a few years ago in Mumbai, there was a maximum limit of days (180) that one could stay. Does anyone know if this requirement been lifted?

I'm from the U.S, and the west coast company I was working with advised me against getting a 10 visa, arguing that it would be rejected by India. The also said that the new administration was changing the 180 day restriction to 90 days. I wrote a letter saying that 180 days would work fAr better than ith my plans, and I was granted a 5 year visa for 180 at.a time. All this was in mid-August of this year.

Thanks, TCSails! I hear you, I have the 10-year (and six UK buddies and four US friends have ten year visas and have had no problem. Got my visa from the Indian embassy in DC.

An FYI to everyone here after further follow-up I received a note from the issuing consulate since yesterday, the FRRO in Mumbai, Times of India article and the Indian consulate that the 2-month gap after 180 day stay has been lifted. After the terrorist attack in '08 it was a requirement but they found that few tourists returned (thus loss of revenue (it's always about the money, ain't it?)) so "that" ban was lifted. On a good note, they all agreed that, before 180 is up, at least a one-day trip out of country will have to be made. It must be true with "four" different agencies actually agree. That many from the north go to Kathmandu for the day/weekend/week and return. The following provided to all and thanks for the input! And remember, other than the US (which can still be doable) Many..."any" official in immigration outside the US is extraordinarily open to...dollar signs. There are several similar releases dated as of October which can be found with a little work.

http://www.cgisf.org/page/display/261/26http://www.ibtimes.com/india-relaxes-to … als-918653

Still 180 days and no waiting.  If you want to stay longer you need residence papers, registration and non objection certificates from the tax department to leave. 

Pop over to Colombo for a break from the madness. It is very nice.

Hi and thanks. I was unable to delete my post, but as with any country it changes almost weekly. Got a note from the FRRO, spoke to them and also Indian Consulate in DC/NY and India that the 180-day max stay with any departure has been lifted completely...for this week!   :dumbom: Many thanks for the reply.