Termites In Old San Juan?

We are moving to Old San Juan and it was mentioned to us not to bring things made of wood because the termites are very bad.  Just trying to see if anyone knows this to be true?

We didn't have any issues with termites, maybe because the building was fairly new.  We lived in Capitolio Plaza across from the Bahia Urbana.  We did, however, have lots of problems with mold.  Not being able to run the a/c regularly caused mold to grow very rapidly. I guess that's one of the challenges living in the tropics.

I would be careful with things like valuable artwork, important documents, collectible books, or anything that may be damaged by mold.  I had mold develop on my camera lenses - fortunately it was on the outside, and I relocated my camera gear and my collectible books to my wife's office which is climate controlled.

Best of luck!  I really enjoying strolling around OSJ with my camera - lots of great photo opportunities!

We will be in an old building just across from the Forts so not sure if that makes a difference and we don't have an AC unit so probably won't have a mold issue.  Thanks so much for your response.

Like Trekrider said it depends on the building. A friend of mine who owns an expensive renovated apartment in OSJ had a beam fall down from the ceiling that was eaten halfway..

Okay.  I will not be bringing anything made of wood.  Thanks so much.

I have been using two small dehumidifier n so far they seem to help....mold grows in damp, dark places. I open all windows n shades durning the day, we get a nice ocean breeze. But I also use fans on low just to keep air moving if there is little or no breeze. I also use charcoal room deordant to keep musty ordors at bay. Closets,  bathrooms have dri-crystals, they help with dampness n odors. Living in PR, I have learned a lot n tried everything to keep mold, dampness under control.  We live in a rual area n have had to burn termite nests from our trees too.....