Island Bound, beginning preparations

So earlier today I took a little time for my introduction, and now that I have a wee bit of time on my hands to relax, I figured I would take some time to kind of outline my plans and wants and to get any feedback and information that anyone can give (be it negative or positive). I've lurked through several forums for a while, though I just recently found this blog. I've played with the idea of moving for about two years now and I'm honestly having to force myself to be patient.

As I said in my introduction, there is practically nothing keeping me from moving, aside from the normal insecurities of meeting the unknown head on (which is an adventure in itself that I am looking forward to). I like a simple quiet life, I don't watch TV, go to bars or act extravagantly. I'm fully content reading my books while lying in my hammock, camping, or just relaxing in my chair on the porch. I guess I'm a little bit of an outdoor junky as well.

When it comes to material needs... well that's easy as well, I lead a Spartan existence when it comes to belongings. if I cant pack it and move it with a minimal of fuss, then its not important enough to own.

MOVING:
I'm planning on moving no sooner than June the first, hopefully with a pre move visitation around march. Since I've never actually been to Puerto Rico the "PMV" will not only be a nice little vacation, but will also allow me to see what I will be encountering in the area.

I'll be spending at least a week there. Id like to go to the areas that are not the local tourist hangouts. I would rather not eat out every mean. preferring to cook "in house" with what I can pick up at the local farmers markets, fish mongers, or butchers.

WORK:
I would rather not move without having a job in hand so my move date will be dependent on when I can find a position in the area to transfer into from my current job. I understand that the costs of living there are higher than they would be on the mainland and that my pay will almost assuredly be lower than what I am getting currently. I'm also aware that Puerto Rico seems to be in an economic depression and that work is hard to find. But hopefully by waiting until I can get a transfer I can avoid that issue, though if need be I have no issue working an additional job just to make ends meet.

LOCATION/HOUSING:
I'm still looking at all the options location wise but I would like to settle somewhere on the western portion of the island or somewhere that has a higher portion of English speakers at the present. My Lack of Spanish is going to be a severe hindrance in this endeavor, But I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to pick the language up fairly quickly once I've immersed myself in the culture.

I like the idea of living on the western part of the island, maybe its just the romantic side of me coming out. I like the idea of being able to sit on the beach with a drink by my side and a good book in my hand as the sun sets. I may not get the chance to do it often but its a nice little day dream for now.

I'd Honestly like to have a small one bedroom house somewhere out of the city. I'm not a big fan of apartments, and I don't care much for city life. but I'll take what I can get.

BILLS
I know the utilities are more expensive on the island, electric is extremely high compared to what I'm used, and it seems like I read somewhere that the water billing is done in some form of cryptic code that is completely random. I avoid using any heating or cooling systems as much as possible, preferring to let the wind cool my home.

SOME QUESTIONS
--Does anyone know how high an electric bill is with a minimum amount of usage?
--What are some of the natural hazards on the island? Snakes, Spiders, etc.
--I understand the island is in a fairly geologically active area, how common are large earthquakes.

So I think my main problem is that I know that I'm forgetting something, but its late enough that my brain isn't firing on all thrusters so to speak. Hopefully I'll be a little more coherent later. Take care and thanks for reading my long wordy post.

Hi Merrel099:

I am not in the normal expat situation (my wife is active duty military and we are stationed here) but thought I might share some of my experiences:

-Since you have never been to PR, that pre-move visit you spoke about would be a great idea.  Although it will be tempting to do touristy things, try to do everyday-type things as well to get a feel for day-to-day living.  Go to the supermarket, get a haircut, visit the pharmacy, drive around to find parking, etc.  Also, you may want to consider renting a condo instead of a hotel.

-We lived in an apartment in Old San Juan and running one air conditioner in one room only at night (set at 78) our electric bills were around $350-400 per month.

-Speaking of utilities, one of the most helpful things was to have one of my wife's friends (who is from PR) help us set up the utilities.  It often involved physically going to the utility's office in person and waiting around a bit.  You're exactly right about the water bill - there's no rhyme or reason with the amount they actually bill.

-So, I would definitely recommend having a Spanish-speaking friend help you out with these sort of things.  You can read some of my earliest posts to see how helpful it could be.

-As far as the earthquakes, yes you are correct - this is an active area and tremors are felt from time to time.  There are websites from the USGS to get earthquake history reports for specific areas.  We lived in Alaska and it was much the same.

-We haven't been bothered by  any creatures at all.  We live in the San Juan metro area, and the biggest problem are the fire ants.  We have lots of small lizards running around and many Iguanas - all harmless.

Anyway, hope that helps and best of luck with your plans!

Dan

Yes, definitely spend some time here to see if it's the right move for you. I hope you can make a few visits before choosing.  My husband and I are retired and looking to relocate, also, but will spend a few months at a time to see if and where we want to move to.  I love the west coast, too, and the laid back atmosphere. 

Bless!

Thanks shuttzie. Honestly I think it will be atleast another year - year and a half before I'll be headed that way. So I'm hoping for atleast two trips before I head out. Either way it will be nice to get out of the snow and ice here in Illinois lol.

Thanks for the information trek, I've actually been attached to the usgs earthquake alerts for about 6 months. Hopefully I'll be able to make some contacts soon In regards to people on the island. That would be especially helpful.

Hmmm... Just a quick question if you dont mind. What is the policy on the affordable care act there. Is it required or is it in some way optional there?

Hmmm... Just a quick question if you dont mind. What is the policy on the affordable care act there. Is it required or is it in some way optional there?

I'm pretty sure that PR is not included in the ACA.

Ok... That's interesting. Good thatscone less thing I need to force myself into getting. That will save some money in the beginning. Thanks for the quick response sir.

When you go to PR make sure you check into the medical care situation. Since you are young you shouldn't be concerned too much. but medical care in most places on the island leaves a lot to be desired. Read through some of the past posts to find out more.

Yes Ive read some of the posts involving medical care on the island... Frankly it's not encouraging, but I have to say it's certainly in no way discouraging. But I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears open and reading.

Yeah, I'm 62 so it would be a bit more of a concern for me than you.

Luckily I'm only 36 so, even though that is a concern, its not as high on my list as more enjoyable leisure activities, such as cooking and reading. And I'd love to learn how to salt water fish one day. But all things in moderation.

I hear you on the snow and cold, merrel099, lol!  We are just north of Rockford, IL and it has been brutal recently for some reason, certainly not normal.  My husband and I are in our early 50's but very healthy and active so it is not on the top of our list, either, for healthcare needs. 

My husband is quite the fisherman having grown up in California so we're looking forward to that as well.

Hmm... I just found out my work is offering the Rosetta program for free to it's employees. I'm hopinv this is a good sign in regards to my move

That is great!  The cost of Rosetta Stone is not cheap.

It's a good sign no matter what. Learn Spanish whether you come to PR or not. It will expand your horizons and you never know when being bilingual will help open doors for you.

Yup, a second language is always handy.