Talkin' Turkey ("Preparando Para Pavo")

The gourmet food and restaurant chain El Espanol has enough extra cooking capacity to help folks out for Thanksgiving (Dia de Accion de Gracias).
    If you would like to experience Thanksgiving at your home in Ecuador but don't have the oven or the energy to pull it off, look for the red-and-gold shield that is the El Espanol logo.
    At El Espanol on Plasa Foch (or Pl. Quinde, to locals) in the heart of Quito's Gringolandia, the vaquera de mostrador told us you can bring in your uncooked bird and they will give it a restaurant-quality treatment for  $29.
    Although El Espanol has multiple branches in each of EC's three largest cities and one in Latacunga, the VDM did not say whether all branches are participating.
    If this offer might work for you, check with your local El Espanol to see if they participate and how to plan the logistics for horneando su pavo.
    The EEUU festival-holiday is not widely celebrated in Ecuador.  There are a few restaurants in the larger cities that will offer the traditional meal.  For details on such a venue in Quito, visit dayinquito.com ...
     cccmedia, Quito

Guess part of you is still American as apple pie :)

suefrankdahl wrote:

Further evidence of that is on the thread I started several days ago titled "Excellent if Lusting For An American Breakfast.":)

cccmedia, Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

Still a USA citizen.  How many expats vote via absentee ballot?

mugtech wrote:

How many expats vote via absentee ballot?

The whole election thing (as an Expat) is a big turkey as I see it.

Nevertheless, I am attempting to move the whole issue off of this Turkey Thread and onto a new thread called "Why I May Not Vote For President Christie or President Clinton in 2016."

cccmedia, Quito

cccmedia wrote:
mugtech wrote:

How many expats vote via absentee ballot?

The whole election thing (as an Expat) is a big turkey as I see it.

Nevertheless, I am attempting to move the whole issue off of this Turkey Thread and onto a new thread called "Why I May Not Vote For President Christie or President Clinton in 2016."

cccmedia, Quito

Good idea.  USA citizens are still subject to the IRS, would think there must be some interest in what happens in DC

mugtech wrote:

There must be some interest in what happens in DC

Personally, I spend about half an hour a day keeping abreast of any major U.S. events by watching news segments and interviews from two (recorded) hours of The Today Show available here on DirectTV, Mon.-Friday.  It takes a lot of use of the fast-forward button to pull off this feat.

The problem with this habit is potential overexposure to information about ISIS, Ebola, that "Blade Runner" guy in South Africa, selfies, Matt Lauer's facial hair growth to support men's health, Savannah's baby experience, and constant repetition of detailed, on-site reporting of the shocking fact that it's snowing in Minnesota in November. 

cccmedia, Quito

Back to lusting for the great American Breakfast- I was glad to note that you had mastered pancakes without a prepared mix. Quite a feat born of lust and necessity I guess.  But can you get bacon, ham or sausage in Super Maxi? :unsure

suefrankdahl wrote:

Back to lusting for the great American Breakfast...can you get bacon, ham or sausage in Super Maxi? :unsure

Sliced ham, yes, it's widely available at the Maxi chain and the other larger supermercados here.

Sausage:  especially good selection is available at many butchers, and at some meat counters in the larger mercados. 

Salchichas (hot dogs) are easily found at Maxi and the others. 

Some Maxi's* stock Salchichas Polacas (Polish dogs);  the South American Explorers have been serving these monthly at their fiestas, and their cook Ester does a great job with them on the open grill behind the SAE clubhouse.

I don't deal in bacon, aka "tocino," because it's such a fatty meat and considered less healthy than other meats.

cccmedia, Quito

*Las Polacas are available at SuperMaxi at 6 de Diciembre just north of Mariscal...and the MegaMaxi near the Benalcasar parada of Ecovia, also on 6 de Diciembre.

Hot dogs, polish dogs and sausage probably not to good for you either but the great American breakfast IS something to die for.

Try your pancakes with some kind of fresh fruit for added nutrition and yumminess. What is available? My favorite is blueberries which they harvest twice a year here but I bet anything chopped up added to your batter will do.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Try your pancakes with some kind of fresh fruit for added nutrition and yumminess. What is available? My favorite is blueberries which they harvest twice a year here but I bet anything chopped up added to your batter will do.

As I am sure Sue will agree, this kind of information should be appropriately posted.  By which I mean I'm switching us from Talkin' Turkey back to Lusting for an American Breakfast -- reposting most of the above and adding my comments over there.

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks