Where to live near Belle Mare, also tourist visa for 6 months help?

Hi there,

Myself and partner are looking into living in Mauritius for 6 months next year (June to November)  we are kiteboarders and taking a couple of years out from working.  (We are currently travelling in Europe). 

I have a couple of things I need some help with... firstly what areas should I be looking for an apartment?  We would will kiteboard at  Belle Mare Beach can someone please let me know where a good place to live would be that's not too far away?  We are planning to rent a vehicle anyway..  We are both in our 30's so would like somewhere with some kind of life if possible.  We have never been to Mauritius so don't really know where to start, but in terms of the kiteboarding (water sport in case you don't know what I'm talking about!)  we think it has what we are looking for.  Where is the most lively town, still in a driveable vicinity to Belle Mare?

Second question, does anyone have any knowledge about how easy it is to get a visa extension?  We are self supporting and will not be working.  I contacted the Embassy in London and they said ity is unusual to stay somewhere longer than 60 or 90 days and we probably wont get a visa, but can only apply when we get there.  Does anyone have any experience of this, or this any kind of temporary residence permit we can apply for? 

I also wondered, is it possible to rent a scooter long term?  I have read through the other posts regarding cars, but I travel a lot in Thailand and normally rent a scooter (I have a bike license before you ask!)  I know there is a safety issue but I prefer scooter to car as its cheaper and easier to park.   If so can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost to rent one for say 3 months?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Also sorry for the super long post!! :)

If there are any kiters reading this I'd REALLY like to hear from you about conditions June - November, for flat water freestyle lagoon riding....