International Border Crossings in Vietnam

Hi All,

The last time I was in HCM city, I used the Moc Bai/Bavet international border crossing to Cambodia to have my passport stamps. This is the closest border crossing if you staying in HCM city. I have done this a few times and have no issues getting it done. Which is closest International Border Crossing if I am in Quy Nhon? This is in the central coast of Vietnam and probably need to cross into Laos. Any information will be appreciated.

ciao'
danny

If you look at Map of Quy Nhon you will see you are in the equivalent of 'dead mans land' between the southernmost Laos gateway and the northernmost Cambodian gateway.

Cambodia>><<VietNam Crossings for Foreigners
Bavet Checkpoint: Moc Bai, VietNam/Bavet, Svay Rieng, Cambodia (To/from Phnom Penh)

Ving Xuong, VietNam/Kaam Samnor, Kandal, Cambodia ("The Chau Doc Crossing") (To/from Phnom Penh)

Tinh Bien, VietNam/Phnom Den, Takeo, Cambodia (To/from Phnom Penh or Kampot/Kep)

Trapeang Phlong Border Pass: Xa Mat, VietNam/Trapeang Phlong, Kampong Cham, Cambodia

Xa Xia, VietNam/Prek Chak, Cambodia ('Ha Tien crossing') - (To/from Kampot/Kep)

Le Tanh,Gia Lai Province, VietNam/O'Yadaw, Ratanakiri, Cambodia -  Cambodian visas available at the border.

Banteay Chakrey International Border Checkpoint, Prey Veng Province

See also Cambodian Border Crossings
Trapeang Srer International Border Checkpoint, Kratie Province

I think you should base your choice of crossing on the length of travel within VietNam and Cambodia - the pain in the a*se quotient. Phnom Penh is your visa point.

The southern most Vietnam / Lao border crossing is Ngoc Hoi / Bo Ly

This information is great. But bare in mind that for some, Visas are needed to come back to Vietnam. As for me and others South east Asian countries or ASEAN nations, no Visa but just at the International Border Post only stamping of passport out then into Vietnam.
However, just wondering which is a good crossing and convenient if you somewhere in Quy Nhon or Hoi An?

sensesofvietnam wrote:

However, just wondering which is a good crossing and convenient if you somewhere in Quy Nhon or Hoi An?

HOI AN is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT location from QUY NHON. HOI AN/DA NANG - where there is a LAOS CONSULATE for people needing LAOS visas.

Typical bus prices are:
Da Nang to Savannakhet: $42/pax (Direct); Bus departure: at 14:00 arrive Savannakhet at 11:00 next day.

Da Nang to Vientiane: $53/pax; Departure : 14:30 arrive Vienttiane at 13:00 next day.

The link above in my earlier post gives you Laos International Gateways. There are other gateways for use by people residing in the immediate surrounding areas which you cannot use.

Thanks Jaitch for the link and information. Looks like the closest international border crossing from Quy Nhon is
Bo Y / Ngoc Hoi on the Laos border.
This is near to the tourist spot in Kon Tum. However, not sure how the buses runs from Quy Nhon to the border town of Bo Y.

If i can remember. There's a bus that departs 7am Kon Tum and arrive Pakse (Laos) around 8pm at night. Through Bo Y.

So 1 full day you will on the bus. Not really comfortable but pretty interesting.

Hi Noah,

Do you know how much is the bus fare and can I just drop at Bo Y and make a return trip to Kon Tum? This mostly is hilly terrain or the road condition is quite good. Thanks for the information.

ciao'
danny

sensesofvietnam wrote:

Hi Noah,

Do you know how much is the bus fare and can I just drop at Bo Y and make a return trip to Kon Tum? This mostly is hilly terrain or the road condition is quite good. Thanks for the information.

I cannot remember as it about 3 years ago. But i should not be expensive. As most of the passengers are local.

Yup, you can make a trip back to Kon Tum by Bo Y. There are buses from Paske. However, i afraid language might be a problem.

I suggest you should go to Paske, spend a night and return the next day. It is not expensive to do that!

Hi Noah,
Yes, at Pakse Laos, there is some interesting places to visit for a day or two. Much different from central coast beach life. 12 hours of bus ride is tolerable and the journey got some scenery for memory.
Hi Jaitch,
Looks like from Quy Nhon there is another shorter route but to the Cambodian border via Pleiku to Duc Co. However, from the report sent by you it is rather remote and need to change a few rides to reach the destination.

ciao'
danny

Whilst in Pakse you can visit the temple ruins at Wat Phu which are supposed to predate Ankor Wat.

A bus trip to Khon Phapeng falls near the Cambodian border.