Excellent If Your Are Lusting for an American Breakfast

"Excellent If Your Are Lusting for an American Breakfast" is the headline of a Tripadvisor reviewer who visited the House of Pancakes in Quito (Amasonas 3279 and Mariana de Jesus, near Mall El Jardin).

If you're not going to Mall El Jardin and vicinity, making pancakes -- or as they are known in these parts:  panqueques -- at home is possible in Ecuador.

I had never made them before living in Quito but the above-mentioned lust for a breakfast of this EEUU-adored food eventually overcame me.

I didn't yet know about the house of pancakes at Mariana de Jesus, so
I looked up a recipe at ehow.com and discovered I could find all the ingredients (which include flour, eggs, milk and others) at SuperMaxi.  They also stock pancake mix:  just add milk and you're good to go.  FYI, they have low-calorie maple syrup in addition to the traditional stuff.

Some of the beauties of making panqueques:

--  You get better at it over time, much more so than cooking most other foods.

--  Mixing in fruit is delicious and easy, either while you're starting to cook the batter or as fresh fruit topping at the end.

-- You can get healthier by reducing or substituting for salt, sugar or syrup if cooking at home.

Speaking of healthy living, pancakes made from quinoa (a popular food in EC) can be made, as per directions and plentiful photos available at ecuadorliving.com ... where Gary A. Scott describes the health benefits of quinoa and how to mix the batter the way the Ecuadorian shamans like it.

cccmedia, Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Speaking of healthy living...

...SueFrankDahl posted the following at the Talkin' Turkey Thread:

"Try your pancakes with some kind of fresh fruit for added nutrition and yumminess....My favorite is blueberries..."

cccmedia: 
In Ecuador, blueberries are inconvenient IMO because fresh fruit has to be carefully washed in EC and this type of berry is so tiny that such washing is not convenient.

My preferred fruit for the pancakes is "arandonos" (ah-RAHN-doh-nohse) -- cranberries -- which are widely available in the Gringo-friendly supermercados in dried fruit packages.  I eat so much fresh fruit here that putting a few dried, sweetened cranners in the pancakes is not an issue.  I drop the berries right into the batter and they plump up a bit during cooking.

Strawberries is my preferred fresh-fruit topping if I'm not in the mood for arandonos.

cccmedia, Quito

Yummmmmm..............