Tax cost

Hi all! Im Lester. Got a job offer as Medical Laboratory Scientist. According to the contract, my annual salary is 46,600 K. That would be likely 3,800 K monthly. Free lodging and service. Do you think that is well compensated? How much will the tax cost? I've read also that it's not that safe living there. Please help me cause I need to sign the contract ASAP. Thanks!

Lester08 wrote:

Hi all! Im Lester. Got a job offer as Medical Laboratory Scientist. According to the contract, my annual salary is 46,600 K. That would be likely 3,800 K monthly. Free lodging and service. Do you think that is well compensated? How much will the tax cost? I've read also that it's not that safe living there. Please help me cause I need to sign the contract ASAP. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum

Tax will be around 30-35%.
Safety is relative. You need to be aware of where you are if you go out. Always try to go out with others. Do not wear flashy jewelry, take care when using ATM's.
Make sure the accommodation provided has security guards.   

Do you get free medical cover, annual flights home.

Food costs are high as is internet etc. For cost of living www.numbeo.com 

I feel the offer is a bit low

Thanks Stumpy! OMG! Seriously the tax is 35-40%? And that is deductible monthly? Yes we have free accomodation and two-way ticket. By the way is the tax refundable after a year? Thanks!

Hi Lester,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Papua New Guinea forum for more visibility.

Lester08 wrote:

Thanks Stumpy! OMG! Seriously the tax is 35-40%? And that is deductible monthly? Yes we have free accomodation and two-way ticket. By the way is the tax refundable after a year? Thanks!

No such thing as a tax return in PNG and deductible at each payday.