Collecting money in Vietnam

Are there collection agencies? Are there CRAs?

Has anyone here used the services of a Labour Conciliator?

A friend was terminated without grounds in response to her giving a month's notice. She tried to do the right thing and follow the contract...

hs0zfe wrote:

A friend was terminated without grounds in response to her giving a month's notice. She tried to do the right thing and follow the contract...

FYI: According to the Labour Law of Vietnam, the employer or the employee can solely terminate the contract during the probation period (normally 2 months) without any notices in advance.
So, if this is your friend's case, then not much we can do. Otherwise, she can certainly pursue a sue if she already had an official employment contract. In Vietnam, only the Court can handle this.

"The right thing" is subjective.  They obviously felt like giving proper notice isn't right for them.

Have you ever heard the adage about the lady and the snake?  In short:

- Lady finds wounded snake

- Takes it home and nurses it to health

- It bites her

- She asks "Why?", as she's dying

-  " You knew I was a snake from the beginning, so don't ask me!" comes the reply...

Surely you're aware of Dave's ESL Cafe?  There's plenty of banter about trying to make various employers pay for their misdeeds; things that go well beyond a simple termination.  I think there has been 1 teacher that successfully sued and won, but I'm not 100% on that.

virgoks wrote:

Otherwise, she can certainly pursue a sue if she already had an official employment contract. In Vietnam, only the Court can handle this.

Usually a stiff lawyers letter produces results as the fraudster either knows they are wrong or their lawyer tells them so.

The Labour Ministry in the province should be asked for help, before court, in case the judge asks what other help you have sought.

Jaitch wrote:
virgoks wrote:

Otherwise, she can certainly pursue a sue if she already had an official employment contract. In Vietnam, only the Court can handle this.

Usually a stiff lawyers letter produces results as the fraudster either knows they are wrong or their lawyer tells them so.

The Labour Ministry in the province should be asked for help, before court, in case the judge asks what other help you have sought.

Yesterday, the Labour Dept. referred me to either the Education Dept. or the People's Committee.

hs0zfe wrote:

Yesterday, the Labour Dept. referred me to either the Education Dept. or the People's Committee.

Both of these have the authority to close the outfit down. Use them - if they are screwing you, they are most likely screwing others harder.

There are no 'Collection Agency' businesses, per se, but there are nasty people that do the job, but you need connections.

(Moderated: No generalised comments)

You should submit your complaints in VNese to the Labour Department as well as the Peoples Committee - Education Department.

Jaitch wrote:
hs0zfe wrote:

Both of these have the authority to close the outfit down. Use them - if they are screwing you, they are most likely screwing others harder. Really? It was a wash. Want details?

* My translator was convinced by the uniformed guard to go away without even bothering the staff.
* Me, I returned and walked in. They were polite and called an English speaker, who explained that they are there for the Vietnamese people.
* At the Education Dept., the perfect excuse to do nothing was the lack of evidence or "no contract". There are Facebook photos showing me in that classroom with IELTS students, but hey.
* Basically, a business can hire foreigners as teachers and then not report them / not submit signed contracts?!?
When why does the Police keep visiting my present center? I had to sign a contract which I couldn't read "for the police". Surely, the Education Dept. should know who is teaching Vietnamese kids?!?  :whistle:

There are no 'Collection Agency' businesses, per se, but there are nasty people that do the job, but you need connections.

(Moderated: No generalised comments)

You should submit your complaints in VNese to the Labour Department as well as the Peoples Committee - Education Department.

Well, I have yet to go and see the People's Committee of Uong Bi City.

Most likely, the learning experience will continue when I file in court. It might be pointless and cost more than what's worth. But at some time the worm is turning...

TBH, I'm rather disappointed that I haven't been granted access to a Labour Concilliator. Maybe those don't serve foreign claimants?!?