Getting to Vilcabamba with my entourage

I am scheduled to take possession of my house in Vilcabamba on February 28. There will be two of us, lots of bags and two dogs. Because I am unable to find air transport to Catamayo with the dogs, I am trying to find a driver with a truck/van to drive us to Vilcabamba. If anyone knows of such a person to do this, I would be deeply grateful for your help.

Thanks ahead of time for your guidance.

Susan F. wrote:

I am scheduled to take possession of my house in Vilcabamba on February 28. There will be two of us, lots of bags and two dogs. Because I am unable to find air transport to Catamayo with the dogs, I am trying to find a driver with a truck/van to drive us to Vilcabamba. If anyone knows of such a person to do this, I would be deeply grateful for your help.

Thanks ahead of time for your guidance.

Try journeymanjack. He is out of Quito. If he can't help you he'll let you know who can. Tell him Ken from Loja Welcome Center referred you.

The best
Ken

Would a 2 door Mitsubishi Montero be big enough to work for you?

Thanks to you both, Since posting, I was able to find someone. The rate was very, very good.

Thanks again!

Hola S--:

I recall you were in QUito, we emailed -- and you raced to Vilcabamba to buy a house you knew you'd love last Fall, is this correct, mas o menos?   Best of luck in Vilcabamba. What follows is NOT meant to alarm you or a diatribe on 'safety' but to guide and inform you re: your new life in Vilca. Pay some attention to what well-informed people there  tell you -- and trust your gut and BE AWARE in the Vilca Valley .  Do not be excessively trusting - take baby steps and practice wise decision-making. 

I hope your dogs are large and guard you well or you find one that does  because In the almost 4 years I have lived in QUito and now for a month, Cuenca-- there are more and more reliable incidents reported nationally of assault, kidnapping and armed home invasion in the Vilcabamba valley. The gringoization has threatened locals and indigenous, they have reacted as there are significant numbers of gringos in that beautiful valley -- sadly many without a clue or much respect for their South American bros and sisters, IMO.  Obviously, all of us women alone need to be very aware and savvy about our surroundings anywhere. I am a soltera and in the four years here all over Ecuador and living in QUito more than 3 years -- had more than one incident of assault --a robbery while vacationing in Manabi on t he coast. I am not excessively nervous or cautious nor am I reckless or careless about people's perceptions.  I do have experience in Chile and Argentina in resort areas , huge cities and the countryside, long distance busses all over the continent and I hope you accept my message as simply giving you words from the more experienced.  Stay in touch.  I hope your trip to Ecuador is smooth and you find what you need here! 
Buena suerte,
S. Schloth

Yes, I'm aware of what has happened there - but, as with all things difficult, there have been some gifts from come from it, as well. The community has come together from the previous problems - and that inspires me even more to live in Vilcabamba. As a result, a special investigator was brought in from Loja and the problems have slowed down for the most part. It was also disclosed that, rather than the source of the problems having been unhappy locals, most of the incidents were brought about by a few, well-organized thugs who found out where people lived and then took advantage of their absence while they were in town when shopping. These thugs didn't just target the newbies - but the local residents, as well.There was also a speaker at one of the community meetings that suggested that there was actually an organization out of Guayaquil for whom the thieves were working. Because of the community's effort to organize and stand up against the problem, a major player was recently arrested and incidents have slowed down to a great deal. And, as a result of all of this, I am glad that I have chosen to move to Vilcabamba more than ever. The community's concern for its entire community and its willingness to organize in the face of a problem has made me realize that it is exactly the kind of community in which I want to be a part of and live.