How much I can save? What is the tax and the cost of living in Oslo?

Hi There,

Greetings everyone, I'm a software professional who is working with a MNC, i have got an opportunity to work at Oslo for 6 months and provided with 450000 NoK.

I will be coming as single and will be based out of Oslo. Please could you guys suggest what will be the tax for an individual (foreigner) approximately, what will be the approximate cost of living (stay and food for a single bachelor) and how much I can save?

Regards
FlyWorld

Hello FlyWorld and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for members to give you some tips, I invite you to participate on threads in our section Cost of Living in Oslo.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hello,
Firstly I take it that it is a Noreigian Company you will be working for?  Are you new to being a Software Professional?  It is very expensive to live and work in Norway.  Make sure you have something lined up with regards to having a place to stay before you get there.  Look for a cheap     B & B for  Accomodation if you want to live in central Oslo is can cost 8,000 NOK and above per month.  Transportation is good IF you find a place that has a bus nearby and only do that if you don't have a car.  Everything is electric and do make sure that there is either an oil radiator or some form of heating in the apartment.  You will need at least 2 months security but ask for one month.  Food and drink is very costly also.  I hope you are only going for the 6 months for you deserve twice that amount.  Also the tax on your salary would be between 32-45% in Tax.  If I were you find out if the company will contribute to your accomodation or supply it.  I lived in Norway over 5 years.  I hope I have helped.  If you need anything further, don't hesitate to ask.  All in all it is a lovely city and you will enjoy it.  Kind Regards

The savings will depend on your life style. If you live with roommates, don't drink alcohol and don't drive a car, you may be able to save money during your time here. If not it may be difficult indeed. Cost of living is very high over here.

Hey,

Last year when I lived in Oslo (Rented apartment at 11.5k NOK / month) I was earning 390k / year and got by very comfortably.  As mentioned previously, if you are here to save money and not have a party lifestyle you will easily be able to save money earning 450k in 6 months, no doubt, don't be scared about that.

Feeding two people / month in Oslo cost around 5k (including going out to eat 3-5 times and takeaway once a week), but we like to live comfortably and buy stuff we don't need.  An example of the cost of a simple meal would be chicken and rice (a packet with 4 chicken breast costs 70 nok).  So barebones living could cost you 500 nok / week, it's all about your lifestyle and comfort level. 

If you share an apartment which is 15mins away from Oslo city center via bus you could get away with 4k / month or thereabouts in rent.  If you want to live alone you will find it very tough to find anything below 9-10k / month.

You can get unlimited access to all public transport in Oslo for 600kr / month, that's all busses, trains (within a certain number of stops from the city) and trams (which all go frequently and punctually).

If you're going out to eat often, enjoy alcohol (which is expensive, especially if at a bar/restaurant) it will cost a lot.  If you're whole reason coming to Oslo is to save, you can save a lot.

6k / month rent (including bills)
3k / month food+other household goods (high'ish estimate for one person imo)
600 / month transport (depends how far away you are, if you're central you can just walk...)

Lets say 10k / month, you're talking 60k expenses for 6 months.  Now sure there will be other things, phone, and random other expenses (sightseeing, museeums, cinema etc) so setting a conservative cost at 100k or even 150k if you're spending quite a bit on goodies... you're still able to save at least 300-350k NOK in my opinion.#

- I've been living in Norway for 4 years, currently own my own house in Eidsvoll (30 mins North of Oslo) but lived in very centrally in Oslo for a year and a half.

Regards,
Gary

The above advice is spot on, esp. GaryO. I also think that you'll manage to save if you can avoid owning a car and alchohol (mostly at least).

Sounds daft (and no disrespect) but the salary seems a tad high to me (unless I am getting royally scr**ed lol!). Just double check that the figure quoted is for the 6 month contract and not the 'pro rata' annual salary. Just that 450K is a pretty average annual salary for many jobs here.....

Of course we don't know you or your experience, you might be the next Bill Gates for all we know!

Come, you'll have a ball. With a little cash in your pocket and few responsibilities, Oslo is a great place to be, although you'd really need a full year to experience the magic of all the seasons...