Women are allowed to driving in KSA

Slam to all!dear all I heard that 30+  women are allowed for  driving in KSA!is any body have information regarding this.

yes by new law women can drive car but their mayram(father,husband,son)must sit with them.and there is some times during a day they can drive cars

Is it published any where, like news paper or any government website? I never seen any news on Saudi national TV..

Wa alaikum asalam

No, it's not allowed even if the woman +100

syed zee wrote:

yes by new law women can drive car but their mayram(father,husband,son)must sit with them.and there is some times during a day they can drive cars

I came across this arab news article, which clearly denies the news.

http://www.arabnews.com/featured/news/656866

I can imagine where you might have heard or seen this. It was on BBC news yesterday that the shoura council is sitting down to decide whether they may allow women to drive or not. They said they will keep various factors in mind, such as the woman must be 30+ and that they will only be allowed to drive at particular times and days of the week, etc.

However, no such rule has yet been passed or implemented. Fingers crossed if this turns out favorably :)

Yes!you heard it right, they are planning to remove the ban :)
People of kingdom , be safe :P

:D

Why you people want to increase rate of accidents? :p

:o

:dumbom:

Wajahat M. wrote:

Don't under estimate the women!if they can drive a man and his family then car driving is not difficult for them! :cool:

Good one :)

I feel even if women are allowed to drive here, they would leave driving at the earliest opportunity after seeing the craziness on the roads :)

Its the MAN who gives her license to drive him  ;)

@ ali I don`t agree, because if MAN in KSA started giving license, every women will get it  :D

You have authority but you will give linces on the base of driving test clearance!I hope you will not distribute it like candies :D

I wish if a women can drive in saudia.. A wish ..!!

Arooj Fatima wrote:

I wish if a women can drive in saudia.. A wish ..!!

Guess people are working on your wish, soon it will be granted :) good luck

how are you

Wajahat M. wrote:

I've been driving for 30yrs. Never had an accedent.
The easiest way to reduce the amount of accidents; is to test ALL drivers and have consequences(fines, points, bans)  for ALL drivers that breaks the traffic law.

That's great. Appreciated :)

Ya , it's true , they will allow for women to drive here with some conditions?

Good luck for all of you

well there isn't actually a law stopping women from driving. it has never been in writing just something agreed upon. the women who are arrested are arrested under causing disturbances in public etc not actually for driving in itself.

I wonder how women will feel if they go through a red light and have to spend 24hrs in a cell at the police station? or when some shabaab crashes into their car just to get their mobile number? I wonder if they will still like their dream?

Why the assumption that a woman would go through a red light? WTH!
And I would expect, if some idiot driver crashed into her, for her number, then the offending driver would be prosecuted.

The best information that I could find is at: http://news.sky.com/story/1369464/saudi … rivers-ban

Doodle wrote:

Why the assumption that a woman would go through a red light? WTH!
And I would expect, if some idiot driver crashed into her, for her number, then the offending driver would be prosecuted.

I am not saying a woman would intentionally go through a red light. i am just saying if she did then she would face 24 hours in a police cell. this is the punishment men are facing.

you would expect the offending driver to be prosecuted? how long have you been in the kingdom? LOL

adamb123 wrote:

you would expect the offending driver to be prosecuted? how long have you been in the kingdom? LOL

I guess new enough to know the law of Jungle, oops I meant road :)

Rogint wrote:

The best information that I could find is at: http://news.sky.com/story/1369464/saudi … rivers-ban

Clear example of how media fools the people !!

Lets get real people!
It is not that women are deficient or in capable of driving .BUT in a country with one of the highest fatality rates in car accidents and the absolute absence of any ethos , the possibility of women behind a wheel will only compound and aggravate further the situation , adding many , I am sure misogynous comments and aggressive behavior by male drivers .Personally I think over 80% of Saudi drivers are not fit to be behind a wheel.

:) true !well said dear

A week ago, in Riyadh, mid day, I was in my car queuing for ATM. The car in front was driven by a lady. I felt very happy for her.  :)

:D good Hope

hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,, while the country has a TCN population who think a woman on her own is wanton.......... I don't think driving will be being done

Women drivers the world over have lower insurance rates than men as they have proven themselves to be safer drivers... However for me in Saudi, i have a immense desire to see women driver, but the infrastructure needs to be improved first, as do laws relating to harassment of women drivers. If this happens, then in a couple of years, seeing women police officers etc will be as normal as watching them in Dubai.

Fully agree with you. The other main concern that I can see happening, once it is allowed for women to drive will be followed by a huge increase (maybe 30-40%) in the number of cars in the street and traffic is already a problem.

maybe 30-40%

Nope i don't believe that it would, the women who would drive are presently still doing their daily business, so they are getting driven by drivers or family members, so it would be the same car, just a different driver. It would also put more money into the pockets of female workers.

I completely agree with you. Women are still going to work , to school etc. But they spend a huge amount of money on taxis or on personal drivers. Why do you trust a stranger, who sometimes barely knows how to drive, who came from God knows where, to drive your wife and your kids around. He could be a psycho for all you know? Wouldn't you trust your wife, the mother of your all children more, to drive your kids to school. Women have PHD's , and some of them run big companies, hold big positions yet when it comes to driving they are treated worst than kids. KSA is a country where a ten-year-old boy (we've all seen that) can drive a car but a woman can't.
Women are not as aggressive drivers as man, they don't speed, they follow the rules more and they have less accidents. These are statistcs. I think the reason why we see so many accidents nowadays because only men are allowed to drive.
And I don't think that the solution to the country's traffic problem is locking women in the house.

Driving is strictly forbidden for women in KSA . Outside the typical compound, gender segregation is common in all areas of the public sphere, from the more obvious places, like swimming pools, to the less obvious, such as restaurants. However, expat women do have more freedoms than their Saudi Arabian counterparts in the Kingdom. For example, while foreign women can book themselves into a resort on their own, Saudi women enjoy no such luxury

For example, while foreign women can book themselves into a resort on their own, Saudi women enjoy no such luxury

Probably because foreign women don't have family members who will object to the resort and will then cause trouble.

Once again, this isn't a female issue, but one of male ignorance.