Unique visa requirements help

Let me start by getting right to the point. I've 14 years of English teaching experience and the requirement I've read said 5 verified would get me a visa for work without degree.

I worry the fine print or just the beaurocracy might make such too difficult, as in Thailand, where I'd more than the 3 required, I was unable to find a school willing to start the process for me as it wasn't common and they weren't sure how it worked themselves preferring to hire me under-the-table or or as an admin. Would the schools simply find it too bothersome?

Are there any schools that would help me with this sort of visa and what proofs would they require? Whats the fine print or who could tell me? Are some embassies easier than others?

In defence of my lack of training, I've been through many courses on ESL, have years of self-study, a personal experience of the grammatical and phonetic differences between the Asian and Latin systems from having studied Thai spoken and read as well as Laos to a point and Khmer to a lesser degree and now Viet as well as having 6 years of Chinese philosophical/martial schooling where I was trained to teach. The last most handy for the concept of unlearning before learning making my phonetics courses second to none I've seen, especially for the older with more to unlearn, as these are studies of practice and the building of new habits wherein the Eastern ways are superior and the strictly Western trained teacher has little to offer. I combine such concepts with those of the west like the instinctive grammar of Chompsky and studies of how the brain remembers and catalogues information and am able to, in easy terms, share what I'm doing with my students thus showing them the importance of practice to personalize vocab and grammar using my exercises to create more and stronger connections to the information and lessen degradation. And so far as modernity, I can use any OS and command line is not a problem (also self-taught) and IT students are one of my best markets. Lastly, I've a clear and precise accent cultured to the job from 15 years out here using reductions and contractions only when appropriate for the level.

I've taught at Rajaphat Uni. in Thailand for 4 years creating all programs from scratch and had dozens of other SE Asian jobs of every age and catagory and thousands of hours of custom courses tutored to those able to afford my services. Believe me, I'm over-qualified if anything.

So now I'm left with 2 options to work in Vietnam long-term :

1.  Go the 5 year exp. route, if possible. Is it really?

2.  Get a life-time exp. BA based on said experience and run through the process normally.

The second would cost me roughly $400 more, hence, I'm very curious about the first.

Any schools reading this are encouraged to reply. I'm in Saigon right now and ready to work.

Thanks for any info.

Why not try a university - even though they have a degree requirement? At least they would best be able to evaluate your work.

If a school feels they can use you, they will look after the Work Permits.

Hi,

Would you pls send me your email in private?

I receive an advertising that I think you can contact them to help you.

Regards

Hi Barkester,

I read your post and looking at your skills and background they are quite similar to those of myself - I've been contemplating ways to become more appreciated and financially independent, or at least less dependent, than I have been in the past 10 years working as a teacher in Thailand and now in Vietnam.

If you'd like we can share ideas, and I can tell you a bunch about the issue you're having with papers.

For a quick answer on your problem and the two ideas you mentioned:

1. the 5+ years experience in a particular field does not apply for jobs in education, and unlike Thailand I've never heard anyone being hired as, for example, a 'consultant' to avoid immigration requirements for educators.

2. Bad idea, save your money - all an employer has to do is google your school and find that video showing a dog receiving its phd from the same uni as you 'graduated' from.

You can email me at teacherwin[at]outlook.com - or just buy me some beers in HCMC :)

Cheers
Win

Thanks for the info, especially on the 5-year trip.

As for the BA thing, you are right, but I'm still hopeful I'll be given the chance to prove and sell myself based on experience, so that a school might encourage me to get one as you're absolutely right they'll see it as useless paper, but beaurocracy being what it is, it would check the boxes BA and Teacher's Certification allowing me legal employment. For the beaurocrats, its not about quality, its about box checking. The cheap BA isn't for the schools, its for the visas. I've also considered BAs from Cambodia or Afrika where I could likely pay extra, ace a test designed for second language English teachers and have a degree quickly that would open up legal work here and many other places. All just to check the box. Just means I've gotta lead with the sales pitch and follow with the degree. Face first, paper later, you know?

The admins want quality long-term, so they might get work done besides baby-sitting and re-hiring. I make it clear that I can do and they help me find the way to check those boxes.

Where I most need help is getting the chance to proove myself. How can I get my foot in the door? A school would be best and thus easiest, but I'm also working on starting a tutoring biz. I'll be hitting up the local English club, giving free lessons in my chosen specialties, phonetics, English for IT, and grammar memorization techniques and I've been playing with a new blog I'm not ready to put public, SaigoEC, which I might or might not connect with the local pre-existing club. In the end though, word of mouth is the best route with the greatest chance of success.

More than happy to meet with anyone here who's thinks they can help.

Gonna get on to my other searches now. Thanks again for the heads up and expect an email soon.

Hi,

I saw a school is recruiting an English teacher yesterday.  Pls check in job section.

Regards