Investing in Colon Honduras area

I plan on visiting the Colon area of Honduras this December when I come for a visit.  I've been doing a lot of research on the internet and have not found a whole lot of information.  While I'm sure that most of the lots being sold in these developments offer most of the amenities that foreigners are looking I'm looking for information in regards to what I can expect to find outside of these gated / guarded communities. I recently found an article online that was somewhat disturbing
hondurasweekly.com/culture/item/17047-north-coast-housing-developments-and-cruise-ship-tourism-safe-for-foreigners
Any comments as to this article would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Hello Nelson:
I am a Honduran living in Tegucigalpa. I love my beautiful country and l welcome that there are expats living here. Even though the new president is doing a lot against crime, still, I must say that most of what we hear from that area of Colon is bad news. Its a bit like the old wild west. (Its the wild wild east actually)
Trujillo is a fantastic place with the best and deepest natural harbor and is to become some day a major hub, so i wouldnt venture too far away from there eastward, even though I hear that there are some huge expanses untouched.
I could be wrong, hopefully, but research some more and see how far you should go. Maybe you could be the pioneer and others would follow...
Ok, welcome to Catracholandia.

Thanks for your opinion.  I will continue my due diligence.  What are your views in regards to icoteas limon Honduras?

Ive never been to that area, but I hear it is beautiful. I imagine and hope there has been growth and development there, to the point where it is safe, meaning that there is more police presence. Maybe I am overreacting and it is really ok to go there with no problems. My advice is, find out in Trujillo. Do your homework and then go there personally. It may well turn out to be fantastic!
There is a saying here: Tegucigalpa thinks, San Pedro Sula works and La Ceiba has fun! Beyond La Ceiba, Trujillo is, for me, civilization. beyond that, the garifunas and ladinos (local hondurans) live it out pretty much as they like, so there are no guarantees. Again, I may be exagerating and Government has grown and reached those places and it is ok to live there.
Are you planning on buying land, building and living there?
Ok, saludos from Tegus. (Short for Tegucigalpa)

I'm looking into buying land right now and building later.  I've been to Honduras before and visited different areas of your country.  One place I really liked was Isla del tigre Amapala.  I'll be heading to Trujillo area in mid to late December and plan on looking at several properties.  Once again, gracias

Amapala has a very nice atmosphere. It used to be a bigger port.  I hear the government is planning on making new developments there soon.
Ok, saludos cordiales.