Driving Exam

Hello there. I am American, living in Varna, and I would like to take the courses to get a Bulgarian driving license. (Unlike EU countries, I am not allowed to simply exchange my American license, and my American license is only valid for a year, which I have been here for longer...)

I speak Bulgarian, but I feel like I would be more comfortable taking the exams in english. The problem is that I have read the english practice exams and the grammar is horrible on a lot of the questions- I can't even tell what they are asking! (You cannot end an English sentence with 'the'!) I am afraid I won't be able to pass the exams in english or bulgarian and it will just be a waste of money.

Does anyone have experience taking the exams? Did the school you were taking the courses through prepare you adequately?

Thanks for any advice.

Hello,
My husband is French and he had to take the exam here too, because he didn´t have driving licence at all. He speaks Bulgarian, but he also had doubts about which language to use for the test. You should be aware that the test is written, so for the driving part the person that will test you will not be speaking English. In regards to the written part my suggestion is to do it in Bulgarian. We are living in Sofia and the school where my husband took the classes was very supportive. They were completely aware that he will not be able to understand all the words in Bulgarian. They suggested the following site listovkite(dot)com. You can pass the exam as many time as you wish there until you memorize all the questions in Bulgarian. My husband said that on the official exam the questions were actually the same as on that website.

Thanks. I have tried the english version on that site, but maybe I will start practicing with the bulgarian version. Was your husband able to pass on his first attempt? I feel better knowing that someone successfully went through this. :)

Wait- I was using a different site- avtoizpit... I think the one you sent will be more helpful! Thanks. :)

Yes, he passed it from the first attempt :)

Awesome! So there is hope...