Umm should I be scared?

Hi my name is Alaina...I'm 31 and I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia. I apologize for this long post but I need some help =/

I have been to PR only 3 times, I just returned from my last visit a few weeks ago. I was there when hurricane Gonzalo came and I thought it was a very cool experience to watch the storm, but then again I was on a resort lol. Anyway I am a dental/oral surgery tech and I have been working on McGuire AFB in New Jersey (I commute from Philly) since 2009. I first visited PR in 2011 and I seem to keep going back...I am IN LOVE. The people, the music, the culture, the beaches. I do have a few, and by a few I mean 2 or 3 friends in San Juan, Isla Verde & Carolina and they have given me support & advice because I am obsessed with moving there. They have taken me to different parts of SJ like La Perla, Pinones, Loiza, Rio Piedras. I am recently single, no children, just me. I have money saved in the bank as well. I am very close w/ my family and they are all supportive of this mostly because of how much I love PR and because I have endured some pretty significant changes in my life recently and this change of scenery & life just feels right. I have looked into the VA, Ft Buchanan, and other bases for dental jobs, I found nothing. So I have started reaching out to dental practices who are noted to speak English (I only know basic Spanish, not enough for daily life just yet) to see what my options would be and I have been told by 2 of them that they like my resume & to contact them when/if I make the move.

However...
The posts I have read on here have been mostly negative and I am wondering if I should be too scared to do this because with the exception of those 2 or 3 friends, I will be alone until I make more friends. I am feeling like I will have tarantulas around me, a $300-$400 electric bill, structural problems wherever I live and frequent lack of water & power. Not to mention I was planning to ship my car as well...its brand new and I want it with me. The only positive I have seen are posts about the friendly people and the fantastic weather/scenery which I am clearly already aware of. Can anyone just offer some general advice according to my specific circumstances? I am so happy I found this forum but now I just feel conflicted. But more mentally prepared at the same time...if that makes sense LOL.

Thank you everyone!!

Hi Alaina,

No, you should not be scared! :D
You should get informed as good as you can before you make the (big) step of moving to another country though.
I know, I know, PR is part of the USA and an a US citizen you won't have to go through any immigration formalities.
But...as you know yourself this is a different place, really different.

A couple of facts:
- the economy is not in a good shape and generally speaking you can expect to make less than you do in the US
- at the same time most things are more expensive than over there
- electricity is around three times more expensive
- medical care is not at the same high standard as you're used to
- utilities (electricity, water, telephone/internet) are not as reliable as you're used to
- and yes, we have tarantulas (but I've never been bitten in the 13 years I've been here)

If you can get a job and make some decent money you're gonna be fine here and enjoy the climate, the beaches etc. in your free time.

I personally don't mind that I make only 10% from what I made in Europe, I have a generator to make electricity when the power is gone again, around 2,000 gallons of water stored in my tanks and I think I finally found a reliable internet provider (Sprint mobile broadband). As for medical care, I haven't seen a doctor during the time I've been here, a (Dutch) friend who works here as a DMD takes care of my teeth and let's see what happens when I'm going to need a doctor one day.

Bottom line: If you can secure an income and if you're aware of problems/inconveniences  you may run into and prepare for it you can have a wonderful life here on the island.
For me nothing beats the fact that around 350 days per year after I get up in the morning I put on a pair of shorts, make coffee and have the first cup on the porch overlooking the valley before I start my 30 second commute to my home office.

Wow Gary that was a lot of great info thank you! My plan is to move there for about a year to see how it works out and if I want to go home I can. I'm waiting to see how the job hunt works out before anything else. But I also just learned that PR has flying roaches too and I have a massive bug phobia. Massive enough to influence my decision unfortunately. I was told I will likely have roaches in whatever type of apartment I live in because I am planning to be in the San Juan city setting. I guess I just have tons of thinking to do  :|

Yes we have flying roaches but most of them just run around ;)
While talking about bugs, ants are everywhere..

I don't know if you don't like lizards, be sure you'll meet a lot of them, too.

The tropical climate is good for bugs and we don't have winters that kill them.
Im not trying to scare you, this is part of life here on the island. Oh, ask my friend Gregg, a regular here, about centipedes..

If you live in the city you won't have a big chance of encoutering them and tarantulas don't like city life either. Roaches are common, also in town.

Now, if you keep your place clean and have insect spray handy you'll be just fine.

Yeah, centipedes are fun. It practically takes a shotgun to kill them. Never saw any tarantulas. But like Gary said, PR is in the tropics. Bugs are unavoidable. I never had too much trouble with them though. But you can't live there without having a bug encounter from time to time. If you are that squeamish I'd suggest Maine or New Hampshire. Never saw one roach when I lived in those places. The Coquis will help keep the bug population down. But you won't find as many of them in the urban areas. But they do have centipedes in the city. My wife's cousin got bitten by one in the movie theater. When you get a place have an exterminator come in and take care of business and you should be OK. Ants are a problem everywhere. They even have a town on the west side called Hormigueros which loosely translated means a place with lots of ants (hormigas). Learn quickly where the red ants are and how to avoid them. Personally I'd be more afraid of the drivers down there. They do some things on the road that you can't even imagine.

Gary!! Oh my lord!!
I'm pretty sure you just made my decision with that info! I'm so happy I asked because I would have been living in a nightmare had I not known. All the trips I've taken to PR I've seen one roach but I just kept walking lol. Condado is actually where I wanted to be as I'm the most familiar with that area. But I'm not sure how I'd handle it since I'll be by myself...I can't even get close enough to a bug to do anything about it. It sounds crazy but it's something I just cannot help. I am extremely clean and slightly obsessive with bug spray but these new facts might be a deal breaker. I'm so upset too because I love PR so much & I miss it when I'm not there...but there are just some things that can't be avoided :(

GreggK it's funny you say that about the drivers because on my most recent trip last month I decided to rent a car & expand my PR experience. And I was blown away by the drivers! Thankfully I'm a very good & alert driver because of so much city driving in Philly/NYC otherwise I may have owed Avis some money lol.
We get centipedes here too in the summer and they're super fast and hard to kill! But a good tip I tried for those creeps was putting a dehumidifier in my apartment & I gotta say it didn't solve the problem but definitely made a noticeable difference. Anyway all of my concern has shifted from a job & apartment to bugs lol...I'm a mess! But I am not built for Maine or NH at all...I need the beach life that's my whole reason behind moving :)

Take a deep breath and relax. I have lived In Philly and saw more roaches there than I did PR. It will be OK.

GreggK well that's good to know lol...
I guess if 1 of the jobs work out for me I'll be heading back down there!
I appreciate this info so much and I am so glad I found this forum!

LaineB215, welcome to the forum!  There is another gentleman on here who lives on the east side, I think, who has knowledge of what to kill the bugs and keep them away.  Maybe he will chime in but I don't think it will be that bad.  We've been many times to the island and have only seen one tarantula in the Rio Grande area and hubby quickly dispatched it after we took pictures of course, lol.  I haven't seen any centipedes yet but I'm sure I will eventually.

Do you speak Spanish?  It is a very good idea to for your job situation.  Good luck and I wish you all the best!

A good way to keep your place bug-free would be having central A/C and run it 24/7 next to keeping the place clean, of course.

The problem with running A/C all the time would be  the high cost of electricity. Also many buildings are not insulated so you'll need to use more power to cool the place.

Like the others said it isn't that bad and you know it already from your own experience. I'd suggest you keep on job hunting and if you find something just come over and give it a try. As long as you have a return ticket in your pocket and you make sure you can get back to work in your area the worst that can happen to you is that you'll lose some money in the process.. In return you'll have a great experience that might even even change your life for good!

Hi Alaina,

In reading your first post, I assume that you've looked through USAJOBS?  I keep tabs on the site on a regular basis and have noticed that there are different healthcare openings fairly regularly.  My wife is military, and I know quite a few people that have secured federal employment, but there are some tricks with applying for specific jobs.  PM me and I'd be happy to share what they have told me.

At her base, the physicians and dentists are part of the US Public Health Service (USPHS).  Not sure if they employ techs, but it may be a good resource.

There's a clinic called SALUS on the border of Bayamón and Guaynabo, and, from what I've heard, one of the best clinics on the island.  They treat military dependents and is a one-stop-shop for all healthcare needs.

Oh, and the bugs?  We lived in OSJ for 9 months in an apartment building (9th floor) and we were lucky - it was pest free.

Anyway, best of luck with your research!

Hi Schuttzie thank you!
I only speak very basic Spanish, not nearly enough for every day life. But I have a language app on my phone that I use to teach me and I have Rosetta Stone lol...so I'm learning slowly but surely! I have made sure to let employers in PR know that right away also. Many of them have been pretty okay about it too...As long as I'm actively trying to learn they are good with that.

As for the bug situation...I have a fear that's on the level of irrational. Like heart pounding, palms sweating, knees shaking...kinda like putting someone who afraid of heights on the edge of a cliff lol. Hence my strong concern because I will be there alone. I had a centipede problem in my last apartment and after exhausting every option, remedy & spending a ton on solutions I ended up breaking my lease. I just couldn't live like that, they were everywhere. So I just have some thinking to do! All depends on how bad I want it!

Hi trekrider520...
Your post just made my morning LOL!
Yes I have been on USAJOBS pretty frequently since I started playing with the idea of moving to PR but I have had no luck. At least not for my specific field. I also called the VA hospital on 2 different occasions but no one there seems to know much about employment and whenever they transfer me to the dental line it just rings forever. Even tho I would like to be on the east side of the island, I even tried the Coast Guard base in Aguadilla but no luck there either. That is when I decided to take my chances with private practices. But ideally I'd prefer to stick with federal employment. I will PM you for sure...any tips you can offer me would be amazing at this point :)

And the bug issue....I don't know really what to do about that. I am petrified...not normal girly scared...like on a whole different level of scared lol. I'm realistic tho, I understand that with PR's climate bugs are inevitable. I just was not aware of the flying cockroaches until now lol. I'm trying not to let my fear hold me back so I think if I secured a good job and felt confident that I can just enjoy life down there, it might override my fear :)

Hey there,
   I just saw your post about moving to Puerto Rico. I live in Puerto Rico I have a BA in Human Resources Management and I'm actually studying a Master in Business and I have a part time job as a teacher assistant just 15 hours per week anything else. Puerto Rico is a good place to visit keep coming to here, go to the beaches but if you do not have anything safe here I dont mind that you get a good job here actually a lot of people are going to America for new opportunities in their lives because of  usually they get paid just $7.25-9.00 per hour unless you get an excellent offer.
Best Regards

Johnny

Johnny82 so basically you're telling me I shouldn't move there right lol

If you are accustomed to how things work in the states, dont have a job, and are not retired with savings to last the rest of your life, you shouldnt move here.  Daily life and its problems is not the same as living in a hotel on the beach for a week.     Most of your life here wont be spent on the beach.  At your age it will be working...or should be...if you can find a job..   As youve stated, you dont have a job lined up.   Think this through more before making a move.

Would you be happy making $8 an hour?

Csmi
No I wouldn't be happy w that and I have been there more than staying in a hotel on a beach for a week. I have friends who live there and I've seen more than the tourist life. I haven't made any plans other than job hunting because no, I wouldn't be happy w making $8 an hour. Nor do I expect to move there & spend my life on the beach, I just want to be there because I love it. I'm a hard worker, I work very long days w the military & at my age it's what needs to be done if I want to be comfortable later. I won't settle for less than a certain dollar amount per hour so if I don't find what I need in PR I can't move there. I'm responsible enough to handle that area on my own...I would never move anywhere without a solid plan. I was more concerned about the daily issues that I will face to see if its something I can deal w or not that's all. That's mostly what my post was aimed at. But I do appreciate you being honest w me about things over there...everything that ppl have written has been helpful one way or another 👍

Hi csmi...I work from home and make 40k/year, which is doable, depending on location at least, on main land.  When I look at real estate in PR, it's pretty pricey. It makes me wonder how people there afford it if they are making $8.  I'm in the process of selling my house and will make a small amount of money, but not a ton...enough for down payment or small piece of land.  A lot of people have said that the prices are cheap right now, but $250,000 for a house is expensive to me!! Am i missing something on the land prices?  i don't see very much for sale as far as land and it is an island ;)  Do you have any advice for this type of situation? 

Thanks

Liz

LaineB, It sounds like you are doing your do diligence in researching and have a good head on your shoulders.  What ever you decide, I'm sure you will be successful.  Bless!

etilley23, wow those prices do seem very high.  I think there are more modest homes to be had for a lot less.  Depends on location, too, I would think.

Schuttzie Aww thank you!
I really appreciate that...I just don't want to come off like I have my head in the clouds like I'm just going to pick up & live in paradise lol...
Thanks for understanding :)

If you have lived in or around Philly you don't last too long with your head in the clouds. You ever been to So. Philly? I went to high school there back in the 60's. Fun times. (sarcasm intended)

GreggK that's exactly right!!
I am born and raised in Philly and those who know this area can attest that I probably know what I'm doing a little lol

Hi Liz and others,

Ive been here 4 months in PR, previously spending 99% of my life in the states.  Thus, I have a mindset and framework of how things work in the states.  Dont believe the marketing slogan, "PR does it better" as that is bull.  In almost every measure PR is far worse, except for the year round warm climate, assuming you like that.  Its especially nice now, on a relative basis, as I see much of the US in freezing temperatures and its only mid November!   In PR its 77 right now.  In the middle of the US, its in the 20s overnight, but should warm up to the low 30s at the high :D

(Moderated: no political debates here please)

PR will not recover until the systemic problems are solved, and that is not likely to happen until it overdoses.  Having said that, the US government and other governments around the world are operating in a similar fashion.  That doesn't make it right.

2nd, due to the above, people are desperate, which leads to elevated levels of crime.  I've heard numerous stories of people being robbed with a gun, some shot, homes and businesses broken into and robbed, kidnapped, etc.  These are crime stories are from people that I've met here, so I know the stories are real.  In some places where I go walking, along the main roads, because it's safer, I regularly see junkies shooting up.  I don't get too close, but from a distance it looks like they are doing heroin.  I guess the police have bigger crimes to focus on than stopping them.   I also see evidence of many broken car windows, by seeing the shattered glass on the streets.  I dont know if the cars were stolen or if it was a simple smash and grab.   You shouldnt leave anything more than $5 in value in plain sight in your car.    Fortunately, I haven't been a victim yet.

3, Again because of the above, it's totally different here.  My efficiency is far less because the services are far below the stateside standards.  Power/water going out every month.  Street addressing system not GPS friendly.  When I go to a new place, most addresses won't input into my GPS.  It sometimes takes 30-60 minutes to drive to an address that would/should take 10 minutes to find.  Stop to ask for directions, hope to find someone who speaks English, AND that they give you good directions.  Often the directions they give you are wrong.  Some idiots will tell you to use a map, but not every street is on the map.  Other idiots will tell you to use a landmark.  Thats also silly because if you dont know where the landmark is, you cant use it as a landmark.  A typical address might be "Whatever Rd, Km 3.7" instead of in the states it would be 123 Main St.  You cant put "Whatever Rd, Km 3.7" in most GPS systems.

4  As far as income, I'm fine because I work from home and don't need to survive on the local economy.

5  Not all houses here are $250,000.  Many are $100,000 or less.  Of course, they might not be in a safe neighborhood or have good security or be in a pretty neighborhood.

6  The schools and medical facilities here have a terrible reputation, which is accurate.  For a good education, you might have to spend $5000-10,000 per child per year for private schools.   

7  Food costs twice what it does in the states, on average.  In PR, Milk $5.58/gallon, $3 half gallon, as an example.

There are a number of good PR blogs for the newcomer to PR that speak the truth.  You should search them out.  Others have apologists and defenders that don't want you to hear the truth, and will whitewash the problems.  They take it personally if you tell the truth about their beloved Puerto Rico.

Should you be scared?  Perhaps.  Certainly you should be aware.  DO NOT come here unless you have a SOLID job and/or substantial savings, or are retired and don't need to work.

"Hi csmi...I work from home and make 40k/year, which is doable, depending on location at least, on main land.  When I look at real estate in PR, it's pretty pricey. It makes me wonder how people there afford it if they are making $8.  I'm in the process of selling my house and will make a small amount of money, but not a ton...enough for down payment or small piece of land.  A lot of people have said that the prices are cheap right now, but $250,000 for a house is expensive to me!! Am i missing something on the land prices?  i don't see very much for sale as far as land and it is an island ;)  Do you have any advice for this type of situation?  "

csmi, can I ask what location you are at that you've experienced all the crime?  Just curious as we want to be able to relocate to the Rincon area.

I haven't experienced any crime personally, but Ive only been here a few months.  Its the other people I know, that have lived here for years that tell me this.  Most of them were in the San Juan metro area, which is I think where 80% of the population here lives.  Rincon, in the NW is 2-3 hours away and much safer.  The worst/most crime is in San Juan metro.  Having said that there is crime and murders all over the island.

Yes, I had heard the San Juan area is the worst.

You're missing a couple of important things, csmi.

1. The people in PR are not desperate, actually PR always end up in the top 20, 30 in the global happiness survey. Many PuertoRicans are not chasing money or all kinds of possessions but just want to have a good time with family and friends. Having some food and maybe a couple of beers and talk, listen to music, dance. Many families have gatherings every weekend. If we want to meet some family member and join in the fun my wife gets on the phone and within an hour we know of three, four family events where we are more than welcome. I don't mean to be racist, but Latinos have a different look at life and have different priorities.

I love the way people are preparing meals. Always too much because somebody could come visit and will be eating, too. We can go and drop by any family member or friend and won't be "released" before we ate a good meal, be it breakfast, lunch, supper or a snack. The same goes on in our house, there's always enough food in case somebody drops by.
Leftovers are eaten the next day and at planned parties nobody leaves without a take out bag that will last for at least one day.
I don't know ho that is in the US but in Europe if you dare to drop by around the the time of a meal things  get uncomfortable because there's not enough food and you should have made a supper appointment . I highly prefer the Latino style!

2. The economy is in a terrible shape, that's true. Now what you don't read in the papers is the numbers of the huge grey/black economy on the island. There are tons of locals who do odd jobs and get paid in cash. You can bet the farm that no taxes are being paid over that income. Anything that you need done in and around the house can be done cash. Ask for an invoice and you have a problem. Many of the cash workers have little or no official income so they qualify for food stamps and what we call Reforma, the government paid medicaid program. Almost everybody has that free medical and a "tarjeta de la familia", the food stamps card.

Next to the above don't underestimate the power of family bonds. Many grown up "kids" in the late twenties or thirties live with (one of their) parents. food and other resources are shared and everybody is happy.
I know for instance a family of three: mother is 91 laying in bed and never going to get out of there other than to be buried. She gets a small social security check. Son in his early sixties takes care of mom and the household.
His lady-friend cleans houses every now and then and gets paid in cash. All three have their own food stamps and all three have Reforma.
They live in the house that Pop paid off while he was still alive. Are they unhappy and desperate? No way, things are just fine!  If one month there's a problem a family member who has a little more will help by paying a bill or two and that's that.

Crime: The homicide rate is going down pretty fast, 20% in the last three years. I don't have statistics for other crimes but I can go find them if anybody is interested.

I still love this place after 13 years and I'm here to stay!

Thanks Gary for pointing out several things to Csmi about us Puerto Rican people and the way it is here.

We don't have family nearby but have great neighbors who often have family o er and give us some of their leftovers for my grandson(who loves rice) and I don't like to make it everyday. Also the way of life here
I was not able to get the food card since our income is too much but that is okay, some need it more than we do. I was able to get medical care for sliding fee which is good for me.

We also are here to stay.

You guys are great!  I love this info. and have the same feeling of community of if there is need and we can help, we will.

Thanks Gary for adding your insightful perspective. 

I think both what you and I say are true.  The small minority of the desperate and/or criminal ones are responsible for the crimes.  Of course not all Puerto Ricans are that way.  To clarify, all the bars on the windows and gates around communities are there for those that are doing the break-ins.  It doesn't mean everyone here is a criminal, just more that the criminals are looking for weak points or easy targets, whether its something left in plain sight in your car or a home that is not well-protected and fortified.  I know some blocks in Condado have overnight plainclothes security guys watching the block.  I was surprised to see that, and didn't know if I should be scared - because of the need for it, or if I should feel protected - since someone is watching out for thieves trying to break into cars and homes, and hopefully deterring them.

You are still young and I would say go for it.  Try and see if you can get a leave of absence for 6 months to one year from your job at Joint Base MDL., if things does not workout you can come back and figure out your next plan :).  I was in the military and am now retired.  I was fortunate to be stationed at Fort Buchanan for two years, and prior to that two years in the Aguadilla area from the late 90s and early 2000. I love the Island, the culture, Puerto Rican people, and the weather, etc.  I try to travel there at least once a year or more if I have too.  Yes, there are issues on the Island and there are also issues in Philadelphia ( I live in Philly).  It's good to be mentally prepare and financially ready to deal with the changes you will experience once you are there on the Island.  As you may already experience, the lifestyle is very different from the states (one of my attractions about the Island), you have to be patient, and don't let the little things stress you.   It is good that you have 2 or 3 friends there, talk to them, ask a lot of questions because you will need the support if you decide to go forward with the move.  The opinions of others who live or lived on the Island (negative or positive) are very useful but the decision will be yours.   A major move such as this is risky and that goes for moving anywhere in the lower 48 or to Puerto Rico.  My advise is to take a couple more trips there, visit potential employers, and get as much information as possible.  Knowledge is power and the more you know, the better it will be to make a decision about the move.  Best of luck.

I need to give you a lot of credit for overlooking your desire to move to PR and examining reality. Not many people do this. We've been here 7 years and are up near the rain forrest in a secluded, beautiful area near Naguabo. We've also just put our house on the market. The cost of food and electric, terrible medical care and lack of any kind of customer service have finally overridden our love of the great weather and beautiful island. I would love to see PR pull out of this black economy but fear that graft is to great to enable a recovery. Nothing seems to work. We can't even get a cop to show up when we call! I wish I could be positive I really do! RudyEW mentioned taking a leave of absence...great idea! Also, have a years worth of money saved which would be one and a half times what you spend at home. I make frequent trips back to the states and revel in the low grocery prices, internet that works, electricity that is cheap and reliable and store workers that actually help me when I need it! Anyway, lots of luck, you sound level headed just please...have a backup so if you have to bail, you can.

Dolt, I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving.  I haven't experienced the rude customer service that you speak of but of course, I don't live there yet.  We've had visits of at least 2 weeks or more never staying in a hotel but a place with kitchen and cooked in so we've been to the stores often.  Your area sounds lovely, though.  I wish you and your wife all the best!

Hi Schuttzie,

Thanks for the good wishes. We just got to the point where the extra costs and inconveniences overcame the beauty and great weather. It will probably take us years to sell so we'll be here a while!

Skip

The right buyer will come along.  I understand your frustrations and maybe that will happen to us, as well, after being there for awhile.  But we have to give it a shot or we won't know.

Have a great day!

Barbara

Absolutely! I'm sure we will be here for some time, the housing market being what it is.

Cheers!