National Insurance Number and Jobcentre Plus

Hello,

Has anyone here had to got for an interview at the Jobcentre Plus in order to get a national insurance number? What is the purpose of the interview? What is it that they need to know?

Thanks for your help,

David

Hi! After I received my visa and was eligible to work, I made an appointment with my local Jobcentre, took about 3 weeks. I took all my IDs and our council tax bill to prove my residence. They asked a lot of questions about my life here and my husband, but were friendly. Took about half an hour. A few weeks later I got my NIN by mail. Be sure to take all your documents-oh, and they wanted to know my husband's NIN so I had to call him from there to get it. They said that I was fine to work even before I got my NIN in the mail, as long as I had applied. Good luck!

Hello,

Thanks for your input. We actually had our appointment a few weeks ago and have now received a national insurance number in the post. It went a lot quicker than I had expected. There weren't many questions. The man conducting the interview just filled out the form and sent us on our way. I suppose coming from within the EEA helps.

Thanks,

David

Good day
I have recently immigrated to Scotland
I am 67 years old and I do not work
I have money to invest. The financial adviser wants me to apply for an National Insurance Number (NINO). I called the Jobcentre Plus at 0800 141 2075. The lady told me she can only assist me if I am looking for work.
I called Royal Bank of Scotland Investment Funds Centre to inquire about investments. The told me I need an National Insurance Number to make an investment.
It seems if I am in a catch 22. If I am not working, I cannot apply for NINO and if I do not have a NINO, I cannot invest.
Can anybody give me some guidance?
Regards
Franco

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You need a National Insurance number because as a UK resident, you are liable to be assessed for UK taxes on your worldwide income; the tax man identifies you by this number.  Income also comes from investments, so the investor needs to know your national insurance number so they can declare your income to the taxman.

There is a double taxation agreement in place between the UK and France, so assuming you have some kind of French pension that is paid and assessed in France, you should not be assessed for tax on that pension again in the UK.

The details of how to apply for a NI number (and contact information) are on the UK Gov website (link); make sure you tell them it's to enable you to pay your UK taxes.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic
That is why I gave them a call. The lady told me that she can only assist if i am looking for a job. Do you perhaps have another number to dial. I called 08001412075
Regards
Franco

Hi again.

She must be wrong; it's what happens when you put untrained people in front of a PC screen without the proper training; I don't only hear this about this Government department.  I'd try calling back and if you get the same answer ask to speak to their line manager.

Another clue could be to try calling HMRC (tip - call first thing in the morning, the queues aren't so bad then); maybe they've heard this before.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team