Dog Meat Trade in Vietnam

And I agree with Nipper66 that torture for better taste is barbaric, whether dog or cow or pig.

I understand and respect your  respect, I beg you to consider the following factors:

I am a carnivorous but I love dogs but not ever eat one, as indeed I do not eat duck because I had one as a pet, this means say that if I had to kill an animal to feed me I would be vegetarian

, we should all take our responsibilities' such as go to Iraq and shoot a child in order to have the petrol to 30c per liter. I'm sorry for the poor dog, but my grandfather used to say that during the war time not seen dogs, cats or mice around.
Poverty 'is a bad thing.

I understand and respect your look, I beg you to consider the following factors:

They are carnivorous but I love dogs but not ever eat one,
as indeed I do not eat duck because I had one as a pet, this means say that if I had to kill an animal to feed me I would be vegetarian,
We should all take our responsibilities' such as go to Iraq and shoot a child in order to have the petrol to 30c per liter. I'm sorry for the poor dog, but my grandfather used to say that during the gerra not seen dogs, cats or mice around.
Poverty 'is a bad thing.

Horse is pretty good. Especially Basashi. Nothing beat a good tender kangaroo steak however.

I am afraid to tell you that dog meat eating is quite common in Vietnam and in any market outside of the main areas you can see cooked dog for sale. Basically any animal is ok to eat for most Vietnamese. Sorry to tell you this but I have lived here many years and know this is true. Me, I am Vegetarian.

Hope it helps,

Nick.

First of all: YES is the answer.

Here in the northern part of Vietnam, dog eating and dog restaurants are very common. The dogs here can both be pet and food.

*Please insert person/nationality*  NOT all ______________ are dog eaters.

Another reality is the dog snatching/robbing/theft. Some dogs are poisoned or "drugged", electrocuted, dragged on leash while the motorbike is running (this is after being robbed or snatched).

I am an animal lover, not into much meat eating, loves to eat fruits and vegetables. But i wont be a hypocrite because i still eat fish, chicken, and beef. I eat them in small amounts. I am against to the killing of the animals in a torturous/sadistic manner for their meat (specially the dog)-- they do this because for the adrenaline rush to make them taste good.

When i see them go through a lot of suffering before their breath is gone, i am in deep sorrow and cry sometimes because i consider them dogs like my best friend. Pork and beef is not my best friend for they give me more clogged arteries. But we should also be aware of chicken skin too.

Even when i see a human being go through that ordeal, i would cry for them because of their suffering. A guillotine is better than a dagger because the faster, the better.

there is a specfic breed of dog that is consumed for meat throughout Vietnam. It is not all dogs like some misleading sources woulh have you beleive. If you consider them murderd, I guess the same should apply to pigs and cattle since in Vietnam some breers are raised as food.

True! Others sell them online too. But i am not so sure about what i have seen one time in the streets of Ha Noi. I think i have seen a hybrid dog  :/  , it is a large kind that i cannot identify because a long pole was inserted from its mouth and rear end and it was already roasted. I was thinking that the size is somewhat the size of a husky breed. It was a bit larger than the normal ones i always used to see. Dog meat is expensive here, its like sacred meat and so greatly prized. But some dogs can be stolen because of their breed and not the meat. When money is involved, some people just cannot resist the temptation.

In connection to dog-napping, Vietnam is a very long country that if someone stole a motorbike from somewhere, it is brought out to the very far opposite ends or countryside where it cannot be easily seen. If the plate number is not coming from Ha Noi or surrounding places, you are a suspect that the motorbike you are riding is stolen from some place. There is a big chance that the Ha Noi traffic police will investigate where and who owns the motorbike you are riding.

Owee wrote:

there is a specfic breed of dog that is consumed for meat throughout Vietnam. It is not all dogs like some misleading sources woulh have you beleive. If you consider them murderd, I guess the same should apply to pigs and cattle since in Vietnam some breers are raised as food.

The breed is called "stolen from the owner" I  assume and their up to 30 min last cry is possible the big pleasure the feel after been hit and burned partially over hours

From what I can hear, Koreans even love dog meats than us. National food, as the gossip went. I dont care enough to check, however.

laclongquan_travel wrote:

From what I can hear, Koreans even love dog meats than us. National food, as the gossip went. I dont care enough to check, however.

some dogs endure a "fur removing" machine and it has two things it accomplishes: 1) for removing the fur and 2) inflict painful death. i have seen the picture and i will not post it here. I just cant fathom why is it humans do these things just to satisfy the belly and pleasure in eating?

Like humans, dogs can dream because they have a brain. They can feel pain and emotion too. The attribute i like with dogs is that they are unconditionally loving and forgets bad things that happened to them. Humans are capable of holding a grudge against someone and some even carry them to the grave.

I, as I have already mentioned, have no problem with people eating dog.
Meat is meat.
I dislike cruelty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … riend.html

laclongquan_travel wrote:

South Korea is the number 1 consumer of dog meat. When I lived in Phu My Hung, I regularly received flyers under my door advertising a Korean restaurant that served dog. Also, if you know where Era Town is, the main road that leads to it sells dog. First store on the left. If you stay in the expat bubble and don't speak Vietnamese, it's quite easy to avoid all the bad things that go on in this country. OP should be more concerned with bag snatchers and people stealing her dogs for ransom. :)

(Moderated:  :offtopic: )

Dont worry! Vietnamese like myself know exactly how much expat are worth.

After all, we are using an alphabet developed by an expat missionary with some Vietnamese helpers. We all remember his name, though god know who were those helpers (I am too lazy to check). We really are thankful that we dont have to use that oh god Nom alphabet. Lord, do we sincerely be grateful to Alexander Rhodes, his fellow missionaries, and all other Vietnamese believers who made this possible.~

Vietnam was, is, and always will be a crossroad of cultures, with guests from afar decided to stay.

what are these dog wailing and screams in the early mornings? is it a slaughter? i always hear them cries, its like somebody inflicted something to the dog. i live in the 6th floor and the sounds in the early morning is a bit louder and it comes from many directions. its so common that i already got used to it.
i am just bothered by the scream. i even wake up hearing them, then i cannot sleep because the way they cry. i hear at least thrice a week. other days i am in good sleep so i don't know .

:goggled eye: You live near a butcher site? can you move? Because I dont think accomodation at such place is desirable or tolerable

Also, I dont think promoting not killing animals in your case is going to get them stop. Or your living better.

The noise you are hearing is not from a dog butchers shop.
It is local dogs communicating with each other. They sometimes howl at the moon too.

i am locating it during the waking hours, but i can't seem to find anything similar to a butcher or "slaughter house" i hope its just the neighbor who accidentally stepped on the dog.

I have long accepted (3 years ago) that i cannot make these dog butchers/eaters turn away 180 degrees from their practice. what is NOT acceptable is the torturing of a creature just to attain the pleasure of eating their meat. By the way, have you come across: "Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them"? eat to live or live to eat?

don't worry about my quality of living. i do not complain being disturbed in the early mornings for those are the times i usually get up for biking and/or go to work. and after the squeals are gone, its just perfect for quiet times.

'Married into three different cultures'..?? What happened, your wives turned 40 so you left them to move on to the next pretty thing?? You are a great guy!! You perhaps do not love the 3 cultures as much as you probably proclaim sunhat!!

You are racist. You CANNOT say anything bad about the vietnamese or their culture. It is the PERFECT country and all vietnamese are wonderful and kind. It is a crime free society and the vietnamese are the most selfless people you will ever meet. You are a TERRIBLE man. Oh wait, is it all THAT simple..

True! I admire their humbleness and patience. I bumped a motorbike accidentally one time or another and they don't easily get angry or not even see a hint of enraged look. They prioritize and yield to bike riders. I always see this in the road. In other countries, some might give a finger, profane words, or sometimes lead to murder. I saw arguments one time but it was too scarce to see them here. But most of the time, i never saw them happen here in this country. The people are not allowed to have guns too.
When a Vietnamese or anyone bumps at my motorbike, i instantly remember how they react. I am beginning to copy them now. I was a "road rage" in the past, but because i see these things in them, i stopped being easily bothered by a simple bump or scratch. Besides, being angry won't remove a scratch or dent. They are such a good people.

selfishlyingexpat seem to be ranting~ It's not even clear what post cause that much grievance.

Haha..you did not really get the p*ss take..and I do not believe you are actually vietnamese. The original post about dogmeat got some negative responses heavily tainted with moralism and culturalism....oh, work it out for yourseld lad!!

Can you tell me which "korean restaurant" sent you flyers regularly? I've lived in seoul since early 2000's and yes they do have dog restaurants, but way less than 1 percent of the population eat dogs. I'd love to learn from you how "Korea is number one in eating dogs". I'm guessing you're one of those jealous Vietnamese with an inferiority complex who loves to hate "Korea".

I've always loved vietnam and Vietnamese people, but I'm beginning to get annoyed by anything "Vietnamese".

Dear friend,
It's true that Vietnamese eats dog meat as well.
In my personal opinion, this's just our traditional costum in eating.
And, apart from dog meat, u will find out Vietnam worths living.
Gdluck ;)

Jenneroni wrote:

Can you tell me which "korean restaurant" sent you flyers regularly? I've lived in seoul since early 2000's and yes they do have dog restaurants, but way less than 1 percent of the population eat dogs. I'd love to learn from you how "Korea is number one in eating dogs". I'm guessing you're one of those jealous Vietnamese with an inferiority complex who loves to hate "Korea".

I've always loved vietnam and Vietnamese people, but I'm beginning to get annoyed by anything "Vietnamese".

Point number 1: The No 1 in eating dogs is pretty old already. It might be that in the last twenty years Koreans, specifically South Koreans, had changed that dietary habit . 20 years is a possible length of time for that.
Pount number 2: I have no moral objection to eating dogs, just dietary (I dont like its smell). So I dont mean anything bad toward Korea for that comment. Heck, if I believe Vietnam is worthy of that title I would totally suggest so.
Point number 3: Get off your horse! Korean culture is... what? to me. Oh, the ancient stuff is nice, but it's not grasping the way Japanese is (I blame J games and the lack of K games, and Koreans only have themselves to blame in that regard). The modern stuff is just so so.

let our ego not take over. WE are all in the same mud. i am no Korean or Vietnamese, but look, my country men still eat dogs.

again, like what i have seen in the recent posts "meat IS meat"

whether you and i are a hardcore carnivore, herbivore or omnivore. we all have the same digestive system so no one here must blame what they eat. If someone here is dead or does not eat anything, he or she has the only right to say this and that, but this is a satire comment. it is impossible for a deceased person to type something in the keyboard and post his input in a forum based website such as this.

wake up! we are all hypocrites.

if we dont have the lies that we can live with... it would be pretty hard to live.

Innocent Pigs are being slaughtered in Los Angeles. Sweet little Pigs have intelligence much higher than dogs and are wonderful pets. I was going to retire in Los Angeles until I heard about this ungodly inhumane practice. You are what you eat!!!

no1eyeno wrote:

Innocent Pigs are being slaughtered in Los Angeles. Sweet little Pigs have intelligence much higher than dogs and are wonderful pets. I was going to retire in Los Angeles until I heard about this ungodly inhumane practice. You are what you eat!!!

And there we have it.
Cross cultural understanding.

One man's meat.......

Jenneroni wrote:

Don't know the restaurant name, nor did I care to memorize it.

South Korea is #1 in eating dogs because statistically they eat the most. (up to 30% have tried it, use your Google MD) Since you've lived there for 15ish years, I assume you speak Korean by now and you're familiar with 누렁이 and 황구?

I won't even touch the racist statement of Viets being inferior to Koreans with a 10 foot pole. Koreans and Vietnamese both eat dog, get over it.  :lol:

mas fred wrote:
no1eyeno wrote:

And there we have it.

One man's meat.......

Is another girl's treat

no1eyeno wrote:
mas fred wrote:
no1eyeno wrote:

And there we have it.

One man's meat.......

Is another girl's treat

I, as an English gentleman, don't understand that post.

Just think about all those innocent, fluffy little bunnies and squirrels that they eat in North America. Bambi doesn't stand a snowball's chance in the hunting season either. While they're not so cuddly possums are consumed in many of the southern states too. Seems to me that before everybody starts ganging up on Vietnam, without the slightest understanding of the culture and lengthy history of this practice, perhaps they should look a little closer to home for their own shortcomings.

I don't condone the practice of eating dog meat, but it is after all part of a very old culture. I am not so arrogant as to think that I should have the right to impose my moral standards on another culture.

That big glass house you folks are living in isn't without its own weak spots!

Just a thought.

HoangXuan wrote:

Dear friend,
It's true that Vietnamese eats dog meat as well.
In my personal opinion, this's just our traditional costum in eating.
And, apart from dog meat, u will find out Vietnam worths living.
Gdluck ;)

Religious and cultural eating habits are different all around the world.
McDonald's know this, so they don't serve culturally unacceptable food in countries where people would get upset by it.
No Pork in mainly Muslims countries, and no beef on the menu in India.

I really don't see what the big deal is when it comes to dog meat.
So what?

Dear Mas Fred This is the first Post.
The reason that I joined this group was to learn more about Vietnam because I was really considering retiring there in a few years, specifically Hoi An.  I found out about the Murder of Innocent Dogs in Thailand for food, so that country was crossed off of my list of possible retirement location.  I was horrified to read on the net this morning that it is also going on in Vietnam.  I am praying that this is not true. 

Has anyone heard anything about this Horrific Practice going on in Vietnam?
Last edited by sjpersonal (05 November 2014 02:01:11)

The Guy is from Los Angeles where he views life there as normal!! But far from it as I wrote this to show others the craziness of his thought process.

no1eyeno wrote:

mas fred wrote:

No Pork in mainly Muslims countries, and no beef on the menu in India.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation UN (FAO) report titled Livestock Information, Sector Analysis and Policy Branch says the largest consumed meat in India is beef. The total consumption of beef in India per year is 26 lakh tonnes, as compared to 6 lakh tonnes of mutton and 14 lakh tonnes of pork. ... In fact after meeting the local consumption, a United States Food and Drug Administration ( USFDA) data says India exports 1.28 million tonnes of beef, making it the third largest exporter in the world.

economictimes.com said Indians eat more beef than any other meat. Beef consumption in India is double the combined consumption of meat and chicken.

Note: A lakh or lac (abbreviated L) is a unit in the South Asian numbering system equal to one hundred thousand (100,000; Scientific notation: 105).

Could it be that sjpersonal prefers to retire in the good ol' US of A where thousands of innocent dogs and cats are sacrificed every year simply because nobody wants them? Is it better to remain in a country where animals are abandoned, abused and starved to death by uncaring people? Oh, I forgot, it's the USA, all things great and wonderful, that sort of thing couldn't possibly be happening there.

Perhaps sjp should pick fights closer to home. What about the treatment of fryer chickens that spend their entire lives caged and force fed? Or maybe laying hens who are turned into veritable egg factories? Beef cattle, sheep and pigs, does their treatment not concern sjp? It's awful easy to sit back and cast judgement on other cultures and societies, isn't it? Wait a moment, isn't that what would be considered the most basic definition of RACISM in most dictionaries?

Funny that someone from a nation that staunchly defends the Constitutional right of every man,  woman and child to "keep and bear arms", which after all are only intended to kill something or someone, would be so quick to judge others. Aren't there enough battles for you to fight at home sjp? Is it really necessary to pick them abroad too?

James wrote:

Could it be that sjpersonal prefers to retire in the good ol' US of A where thousands of innocent dogs and cats are sacrificed every year simply because nobody wants them?

They ARE wanted - the carcases are rendered and used for making beauty soap and washing detergent.

Closed