I'm moving to Belo with 2 teenagers

Hi, We are very excited! We are moving for 2 months to Belo Horizonte.

We are planning on moving in June. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a school where I can enroll my 13 and 17 year old kids for 2 months so they can learn Portuguese and understand the culture. I wish I can enroll them in a "regular school" .

Thank you

By "regular" school do you mean the public school system? You may regret that, they are extremely poor quality, violent and if your kids don't speak any Portuguese at all they'll be trown in over their heads right from the get go.

If you're looking for a private school I've heard a lot about the American School - Escola Americana

http://www.eabh.com.br/

Just so you know, homeschooling IS NOT LEGAL in Brazil your kids must be enrolled in a school (public or private). However, there is nothing to prevent you from homeschooling IN ADDITION TO regular classes, just not instead of them.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi everybody,

This is to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this topic.

Have a nice day

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank you William,

I already contact the International School but they don't offer any classes after school is over (June). I understand that the school's in Brazil follow a different calendar year than the one we have in the US. I guess I'm looking for a private school where my kids can attend during the 2 months that the assignment is going to last. I will be living close to Belvedere, Any schools you know that will accept my kids for this short time period?

Thanks,

Maria

You should contact the schools Edna Roriz (http://www.educacional.com.br/contato/contato.asp) and Fundação Torino (http://www.fundacaotorino.com.br/ei-en/). They are close to Belvedere and probably receive foreign students frequently.

Hello Maria!

My family stayed in Belo Horizonte ( in Buritis ) last year for 4 months. I enrolled my kids at Escola de Serra. It's about 10-15 minutes away from Belvedere. My kids' ages are 16,12 and 9. The American school is out of this world expensive! Escola de serra is a private Portuguese speaking school, but there's quite a few students who speaks English and they were paired with my kids so they won't get lost.. :-)  Actually the principal speaks fluent English so he'll be able to help you big time. If it's only for 2 months then I'm sure they can accommodate you like they did to us.. Good luck!!

Gin

I am familiar with Colégio Batista Mineiro near downtown. It's a quality school with a Christian foundation. A retired science teacher is a good friend of ours and she speaks highly of the school.

Colégio Batista Mineiro
R. Ponte Nova, 665 - Colégio Batista
MG
31110-150, Brazil

I won't pussyfoot around the subject.
I will be tough!
I moved to BH with an 8 year old.  She picked up the language in 3 months.
I am still struggling. That was 4 years ago.
Courses in Portuguese are 3-4 times the price as learning English.
Seems unfair, since there is an abundance of portuguese speaking people here?/!??
Teens ... tough! GOD, I  pity you!
They will learn fast, but ... private schools are expensive!
I don't know your economics, but if you will be making a great salary, you should enroll them in the American School there.
It's all english, and all the teachers are from the U.S.

Other than that, BH is a nice place, especially the climate ....  Parks are limited.  Only central park, and Mungabedas, which is not close.

Your children will learn portuguese by interaction.  May take them 3 - 6 months.
After that, they will be talking over your shoulders.   They will surpass you very quickly.
No worries there.
As for Quality of Education ... Beware!
Brazil is one of the worst countries in Latin America for education ....

Enjoy your time here.

You took the words right out of my mouth Albertan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hi.
        The transition for your children will be difficult, they will surely need a lot of support. A private school is the best move, especially so considering their age.
       James made a good point, interaction with other kids will help them with the language, moreso than ( my opinion) than the english/Poruguese syndrome. They are expensive, drag along ( suck up $$) etc. They will most likely pick up the lingo much quicker  than parents with their friends and hanging out, playing etc..
       The tough part will be home education, they will need HOME SCHOOLING, that will be tough on all of you but beleive me, you will be regret it if you don't.
       Carefull of they don't slip into the drug culture,
Best wishes..........CJ

Just remember that with regard to HOME SCHOOLING, it can only be done IN ADDITION TO the child's regular schooling, not INSTEAD OF it. Home schooling is not legal in Brazil. Both the Penal Code and Civil Code provide penalties for those who do not place their children in school (public or private). Do not let anyone tell you that this does not also apply to expats, because it most certainly does.

Cheers,
James           Expat-blog Experts Team

My intentin mentioning hom school was not to remove then form certified education, I beleive my intentions was missuderstood.
The attend a legitmate school, GREAT, however a hour a  day with a bit of extra time invested in home education that may compensate, Its up to the parents. .
I'm not implying resistance,or to break the law and nor denounce or halt a defined Brazil education.
  A little extra time with you kids will be adventages in their future.  If this post is offline please advise.
sorr if i went off the map a tad.

Hi Christopher,

Actually I didn't misunderstand your posting. I just wanted to point out to our other members once again about the fact that home schooling is not legal here, since we've had this issue come up several times in the past. I added the reminder just in case somebody gets the idea that home schooling is a good alternative. While it is very popular in North America and other countries it doesn't meet with approval here in Brazil, unfortunately.

Sadly, in a country where kids get only 4 hours of classroom time per day, and a substandard education at best that home schooling is not permitted here, but we have to work within the framework of laws that this country has.

Perhaps one day somebody in government will really care about education, but for now they just talk a good fight.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

If your "on their ass" (I'm referring to the school), they will respond to you. From my experience, parents don't get involved that much here (or in most countries).
My daughter is in a private school, and finds everything easy.
Once she was comfortable with portuguese...
I don't allow her to take the "obligatory" english class.  You tell them, and they will listen!
First year, they taught her privately  on the history here in RS.  This year, she takes a grade 7 math class instead (tests aside, she must take them).  the world cup messed everything up! she'd have beed advanced if if weren't for that.
No matter.  At school's end (next week), she will study books from her friends text in grade 7 and 8.
Then, I'll ask the school to test her to see where she fits!
Fight for your kids education!  It's the best tool they have in life!
If you don't have their attention ... they will not pay attention!

I may have totally misunderstood.
Are you moving for "only" two months, or "in" two months.
I assumed the latter.
If it's only for two months, don't worry about anything ...
they'll ketchup when you return home.