Questions concering ID and ETC. URGENT!!!

Hello everybody!
So I moved to Malta 9 weeks ago and just found a job.
They need my ID and Tax number for my contract, but I do not have ID or Tax Number yet.
I have not registered with the ETC, since I got the job offer before I went to the First Time Registration Office.
Last time i went to Evans Building, they told me to register with ETC first, so that I can get a temporary ID as a job seeker.
I am totally confused. Do I need to register with the ETC? Or should I just go to Evans Building directly? Even although I do not have a work contract yet?
PLEASE help me!
I need to get the ID and Tax number as soon a s possible!

Oh and could somebody please tell me what they mean by "Proof of address"?
I am renting a room in a shared flat. So do I need a contract or just a signed letter from the one renting the room to me?

Thanks a lot,
Jacqueline

Hi
First you have to get national insurance number. There are offices in most of the villages.
For example in msida its behind local council building and in sliema its on sir Adrian dingli street. You have to apply in same area where you live.
Once you get number you can go to Valletta alonewith a letter from your employer and apply on spefic form depend on you nationality/ European/ non EU

The address proof can be a the contract with yourlandlord / electricity bill / internet telephone bill.

I wonder why the company help or assistant the employees deal with those complex red tapes?

i mean why not the company help

Why should they? Some may, some may not. May not even be a Company. You have to do things for yourself out here and drop the dependency mind set.

Going on MY personal experience, I was told by ETC that I had to wait for my e-residence card and number .... The one that ends in A as I am an alien ..... Before I could get my NI Number, BUT BUT BUT that could have changed as it was a year ago.

The way i did it:

1) Social Security (it's easy to get, even with a foreign passport)
2) ETC/Tax number/VAT (i'm self-employed)
3) Car registration
4) eID
5) with a lot of effort: bank account :)

Hi what is Social Security? And how did you apply/ get that?

Thanks 😃

Read this: http://www.businessfirst.com.mt/en/star … l-security

Ok so. Social security is basically benefits .. Which I would not be interested in...

So for me I think

1. eID
2.Tax number
3. Bank

Darrylmartin wrote:

Ok so. Social security is basically benefits .. Which I would not be interested in...

So for me I think

1. eID
2.Tax number
3. Bank

Also when you fulfill the necessary requirements in case you're sick or unemployed. Just means that when you pay for your social security contributions, you're entitled for free national health care. If you have your own private health insurance, then you should be fine.

JackieGold wrote:

Hello everybody!
So I moved to Malta 9 weeks ago and just found a job.
They need my ID and Tax number for my contract, but I do not have ID or Tax Number yet.
I have not registered with the ETC, since I got the job offer before I went to the First Time Registration Office.
Last time i went to Evans Building, they told me to register with ETC first, so that I can get a temporary ID as a job seeker.
I am totally confused. Do I need to register with the ETC? Or should I just go to Evans Building directly? Even although I do not have a work contract yet?
PLEASE help me!
I need to get the ID and Tax number as soon a s possible!

Oh and could somebody please tell me what they mean by "Proof of address"?
I am renting a room in a shared flat. So do I need a contract or just a signed letter from the one renting the room to me?

Thanks a lot,
Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

This is the normal procedure when you move to Malta and get job:

1. Maltese Tax Number  - The moment you start working in Malta you need to apply for a tax number. To obtain a tax number you are required to fill up the Expatriates Taxpayer Registration form from the Inland revenue.
2.  Maltese Social Security Number  - The moment you start working in Malta you need to apply for a social security number. To obtain a social security number you are required to go to the Social Security Office in your district, for office addresses and opening hours, please check the link HERE.  Documents you are required to take with you: your passport and your employment agreement.
3. E-Residence Card – EU and EEA and their family members who have been residing in Malta for more than 3 months should apply immediately for a registration certificate/residence card. For more info and guidelines, click on the following link:  Applying for E-Residence and ID Card.
If I am not wrong, you'll need to take with you your work contract, all the necessary forms filled in and signed, your passport and 2 passport photos dated and signed on the back. At least, that was was required to me few months ago when I've applied for it.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Antonio :)

Mantonas, I think that you have not quite got things right in your response to the above. The link that you provided in this.............Quote:

For more info and guidelines, click on the following link:  Applying for E-Residence and ID Card.

........ is for Maltese Citizens only. (Although that department has responsibility for virtual non Maltese Citizen records.)

There is a significant difference between an e-Residence card and a Maltese ID card. The e-Residence Permit System is seeing the registration of identity as forming part of the entire procedure which foreigners must carry out in order to complete the application for residence on Malta. Thus the e-Residence Card as it is known, serves a dual purpose, namely as an Identity Card and also as a Residency permit. An e-Residence card clearly indicates that it is only valid for use in Malta (and Gozo) and that is it not valid for travel purposes, unlike the ID cards issued to Maltese residents who are allowed to travel within the Schengen region with just their ID cards.

I understand the usual e-Residence process still applies to ex pats and may be found described here for EU citizens:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

Fair enough redmik,  thanks for the correction.

Ah I see .. Thanks bud I will do this, moving over on the 30th nov can't wait! So cold here in the UK lol!

Darrylmartin wrote:

Ah I see .. Thanks bud I will do this, moving over on the 30th nov can't wait! So cold here in the UK lol!

It gets colder here .... As they say, you will feel cold to your bones ! An expression I didn't believe until I experienced it.  Still the blue skies and sunshine will help, enjoy your adventure.

Lol it's 7' here in the uk! Can't see it being that cold there.. Think u have got to used to those summer months!

temps here are about 21 in the day time and about 15/14 in the evening trust me it feels cold, but then im used to the hot temps of the summer ,  i think you become acclimatised though i was in the uk two weeks ago and it was freezing lol

How you feel in what temperature is always subjective and relative. It also depends upon the relative humidity.
Can feel very cold when humidity is high so can feel as warm or warmer in UK, though the actual air temp may be lower. That is what I find.
It can feel VERY cold here, particularly Jan - Mar and especially when acclimatised. 
Yesterday was great :-)

See  :)  https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10749928_870599132950643_1136270066411723241_o.jpg

GOZO FIVE DAY WEATHER FORECAST  :)

November 22, 2014
Clear
21/14   
November 23, 2014
Mostly Cloudy
21/14   
November 24, 2014
Partly Cloudy
20/15
November 25, 2014
Partly Cloudy