Best Airline For Transporting A Dog From USA TO Siem Reap??

Hello!

Please help!  I need to know which airline company has the safest, most comfortable and fastest way to transport my dog to Siem Reap with me.  Also, anything you can advise me on regarding shipping containers (crate, kennel?) will be very helpful!  I appreciate all efforts to assist me.  I'll be leaving from California in the next few months.  My dog weighs about 65 pounds.  Please help!  Thank you very much!!!!   xxx ooo

Love,
Cindy Kern
[email protected]
(909) 327-2339

Hello cindykern

Hope that somebody who have been in the same process would be able to help you soon!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I have just did this.The first thing you need to figure out is if every plane that you will be on takes pets as cargo or carry on,do this ASAP,most airlines down size their planes in Taiwan,so you can only get your pet to Taiwan ,I had to change my ticket to go to Thailand and had to change over to Bangkok Air which takes pets as carry on to Cambodia.What airlines are you on  ?

I suggest carrying on your pet,just like luggage,its very east to get the permits if you start early.I carried on our cat and it worked just fine.The pets shippers are all about greed,I got quotes of  $6000,$4000 ect from Seattle.

You will need to contact APHIS and get the export permit to take your dog out of the country,Its hard to get an appointment with them sometimes,you can also send them the paperwork,but you have to get the paperwork from your vet first saying your pet is healthy and up on the shots.

I just got a quote to relocated my dog (who weighs under 20 lbs) to Cambodia for $8500.00. May I ask what airline you used to get to Thailand? I'm really hoping that I can find a way to get her on the plane with me...

Thanks!

Do it yourself ,The one airline that will take pets is Bangkok Air from Thailand. to  Cambodia,not sure about Siem reap, .  .Most airlines from the USA will take your pet to Thailand ,the hard part is getting the pet to Cambodia.. You take your pet as check in luggage,I was on Eva Air and changed to Bangkok air in Thailand.Please read my earlier post.

Thanks! The biggest problem I keep running into is that because she is pug mix a lot of the airlines won't allow her as checked baggage due to liability. They also won't let allow her to fly if the temperature is above 80 degrees. I get that this in the best interest of my dog (and the airline) but I'm really beginning to think I won't be able to bring her over at all. Brick wall after brick wall. Makes me sad.

Have you checked whether you can import that breed into Cambodia, because quite a few breeds are banned. Its important to sort that out.

Yes, I have. She's okay. It's the pit bulls and staffordshires that aren't allowed. Pugs and Bostons are okay, it's just that their short snouts make travel difficult.

Not sure about breeds,we have a cat that is just your average cat. Will they let you take him in the Cabin.I know your frustration though,I thought I was going to have to leave our cat behind.

I believe you can take a cat as carry on. It depends on the airline and the type of aircraft.

There are also certain types of cats you can not take,we took ours carry on.  I just called every airline I could think of  heading to Cambodia and asked friends until it all came together, but it was very frustrating. The Animal shippers I contacted were just into greed.

I totally feel your pain. To be quoted 7 or 8 times more than my actual plane ticket is crazy! I want what's best for my dog, but that's robbery.

That is why I did it myself,it saved me thousands of dollars.  I just started telling the shippers to only write me back with a reasonable price and that knock out most of them,I have never seen that much greed.

If you can find an airline to take your dog,do the rest by yourself. When I got the cat to Phnom Penh nobody asked for any paperwork and the cat was going around the baggage thing in her cage[lol].

Hi there,
We will be travelling from the UK to Sihanoukville with 2 Shih Tzus and we have found this a problem as they are a snub nose breed. We have chosen to fly with Vietnam airlines (they also fly from USA) as they accept this breed as checked baggage or cargo but i'm not sure which is best for them.
We had quotes from pet travel companies which ranged from $2500 to $5000, which is more than it is going to cost for our family of four to get there, so we have decided to do it ourselves. Scary!
Good luck to you

Now, that does sound like a world of mess! I have, as a professional freight forwarder, moved tonnes of cargo around the word and believe it or not, even a main deck (the main flight deck of a cargo aircraft aircraft. On a passenger flight it is where the passengers sit) to Conakry (New Guinea) . However, I have never flown "live" cargo.  Yet, the 2500USD and the 5000USD do sound more than expensive.

I have heard that some airlines permit cats to fly as cabin accompaniment. Since I have no animals, I have no idea :(
Would love read your post, once you have successfully transported the animal(s)
wish you success
Suren

Dear Cindy,

Although I have not done any ocean freight (my experience lies in commercial air freight) or relocations, I can help you with a bit of information

1. sort your items (classify)
2. make a packing list of the items (classify the articles so that you do not have to keep searching for items on the list)
3. get hold of cartons, that are sturdy
4. it is a good idea to waterproof them on the inside (I am not a fan of plastic, but your goods are valuable to you)
5. Number the cartons (either use a pen with water resistant ink or paste the numbers (BIG FIGURES) on cartons
6. Keep a separate list of the cartons. This list will carry only the classification (header) and the dimensions
7. Keep the dimensions in the sequence : Length x Width x Height and weight (use a spreadsheet on your computer)
    (item number | Carton number| Category | number of cartons| Length | Width | Height | weight. totals at the end)
7a. Approximate value (just guess an approximate value.
7b. name your list  USED HOUSEHOLD RELOCATION GOODS (to avoid a high customs duty amount)
8. Seal all openings (preferably with adhesive tape
9. Every carton should have your postal address in the country of origin and also the address in Cambodia)
10. A copy of the address to be inserted into EACH carton
11. Avoid ANY TYPE OF DANGEROUS GOODS (flammable or inflammable substances. food items, alcohol etc.
12. Make a list of freight movers (freight forwarders) and their email addresses
13. Request a quotation from them all by sending them an email (use the BCC field so that each freight forwarder gets his individual email without knowing who the competitors are
14. attach the packing list and the list containing only the dimensions
15. Tell the freight forwarder the following
       1.  an approximate date for pick up (this is NOT a commitment) you are only giving them an idea about WHEN
       2.  an approximate date you want the freight to be in Cambodia. Please add about TWO WEEKS more to the
            date of your actual arrival. Because: if the freight arrives earlier and is in port, you will pay a DEMURRAGE fee
            (this is usually per kg per day multiplied by the number of days. Holidays mean nothing!! and demurrage fees
            can (probably) burn your bank!!
      3.  You should ask for a COMPLETE list of prices without any hidden charges
      4. Ask them also to quote for DOOR DELIVERY
      5. Ask them to quote for CUSTOMS CLEARANCE
      6. If you want an insurance cover (transport insurance), inform them. But FIRST talk to an insurance company
          what they would charge!! Do not commit without knowing the amounts. Transport insurance will be covered
          only if you tell the freight forwarder in writing
16. You need to have ALL the contact details of the freight agent in Cambodia
       Agent name (company)
       postal address
       Telephone number (alternative numbers. not just a single number)
       email addresses

Remember you might get a quotation mentioning w/m (weight measure). Don't  panic!

1. note down the Total weight of all your pieces
2. calculate the volume of your freight :
    volume = number of pieces x Length x Width x Height
    eg: you have 1 carton with  0.60 m x 0.60 m x 0.60 m weighing 15 Kg
    Volume = 0.60 mx0.60 mx0.60 m = 0.216 cubic meters.
    If the freight forwarder uses 1:6 weight volume ratio (1000/6) : 0.216 cubic meters x 166.66666 = 35.9 kg
    If the freight forwarder uses 1:5 weight volume ratio (1000/5) : 0.216 cubic meters x 200 = 43.2 Kg

The actual weight of the carton = 15 Kg The volume weight: either 36 Kg (rounded up) or 43.5 kg )rounded up)
   The higher weight number will be used for your freight charges!!

Remember to keep copies of all your documents on your computer AND also send it to your own email  address, so that you can access the documents when you are in Cambodia.

Once you have chosen the freight forwarder and entrusted them with the responsibility of moving your freight, ask them to keep you informed via email, regarding the progress. They should tell you
1. The shipping line
2. The name of the ship
3. sailing date and ETD and ETA (Estimated Date of Departure and Estimated Date of Arrival)

Hope you don't feel groggy after reading all that.

If you need any help, please post. If I can help you, I shall. If I cannot, I shall honestly tell you, I cannot.

wish you all the best
Cheers
Suren