Possibility of moving...

Hi there!

There's a possibility my husband and I may relocate to Edinburgh in the next 2-4 months, as I'm looking at a new role based in my company headquarters there. I'm originally from the US, but have been living in Northern Ireland for the last 5 years... not sure why that's relevant except to say that I'm not moving from the US, but from Belfast.

I wanted to get a sense of what areas might be good options for us in terms of renting - not looking to buy at this point. We're late 20s (me)/early 30s (him), professionals, and would want a place that was easy access to things going on in the city but also relatively easy to get to South Gyle for my job (wonder who I work for, eh?) - ideally via public transport. We like local butchers and little shops and cafes and cute restaurants and walkability to town/points of interest, etc. but don't want to be in too student-y an area. Would need at least two double bedrooms as friends and family from all over like to show up and stay. Love places with character but also open to more modern builds. Ideal price range would be between £700-900/month.

Where would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

When you described that you like cute cafes, independent shops etc I immediately thought of the Bruntsfield/ Morningside area of town.  This area is a mixture of professionals and students and rent is within the range you suggested.  This area has easy bus routes into the centre of town, or you could walk if you fancy a longer stroll across the Meadows.  I'm not sure how access is from there to South Gyle as I've never tried but its worth remembering that the Gyle is a bit out of town so would probably take you 45 mins on the bus from central Edinburgh (in peak hour).

I hope this information is helpful, I have a blog about things to do in Edinburgh- you can find it here everythingiwishedfor.co.uk - I hope the move goes well, I'm sure you'll love Edinburgh :)

Mel