Okay, here it goes...

Hi, I shouldn't be so nervous, but I am anyway since I feel like I'm about to make a fool out of myself.
I'm not new in town. In fact, I'm a local here in HCMC. However; I am new to this community, so, Greetings to all. I studied abroad for a couple years and since coming back here, I really miss speaking English, mostly how free it felt when used to express oneself (or maybe I just watched too many sit-com and sci-fi, and still do).  I'm into all kinds of food, music, movies, sports, games. I can teach English or Vietnamese, but most of all, I'm out to make friends (online or over coffee are both cool). Hopefully, we'll click :)
Have a great weekend.
Cheers.

Welcome!
There's an active thread here about an English-speaking club in HCMC.  Seems they are serious and quite active too. You may check it out, if you like.
English club

LinDV wrote:

Hi, I shouldn't be so nervous, but I am anyway since I feel like I'm about to make a fool out of myself.
I'm not new in town. In fact, I'm a local here in HCMC. However; I am new to this community, so, Greetings to all. I studied abroad for a couple years and since coming back here, I really miss speaking English, mostly how free it felt when used to express oneself (or maybe I just watched too many sit-com and sci-fi, and still do).  I'm into all kinds of food, music, movies, sports, games. I can teach English or Vietnamese, but most of all, I'm out to make friends (online or over coffee are both cool). Hopefully, we'll click :)
Have a great weekend.
Cheers.

Welcome to Vietnamese friend chat.
Just be very careful who you choose to meet.
Some will never take NO for an answer. About anything.
Anything....

senwl wrote:

Welcome!
There's an active thread here about an English-speaking club in HCMC.  Seems they are serious and quite active too. You may check it out, if you like.
English club

yeah, I've heard of this club since many years ago, and as they're still around, they're really serious for sure. Thanks for recommending. I'm a little hesitate when it comes to going out at night though. I'll see if I can get some friends to come with me to check out this club.

jimbream wrote:

Anything....

always a good advice. you never know, right? I'm more trusting when it's daytime and in public ;)
I don't quite get the "Vietnamese friend chat" though. Are you referring to me?

LinDV wrote:
senwl wrote:

Welcome!
English club

yeah, I've heard of this club since many years ago, and as they're still around, they're really serious for sure. Thanks for recommending. I'm a little hesitate when it comes to going out at night though. I'll see if I can get some friends to come with me to check out this club.

Once in a month some HCMC members of Expatblog gather in a coffee shop to socialize. It's a day event and usually takes place in the weekend. Happens only once every month though.
Keep an eye out for the next get-together to be announced soon, for sure.
In case you are interested, just drop by to meet some foreign and local friends........ and to 'break the ice' as well.

Here's the thread on their September Gathering.
Expatblog Gathering HCMC

I feel like I'm about to make a fool out of myself.

Epic fail - you don't look at all foolish.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your quest.

senwl wrote:

Once in a month some HCMC members of Expatblog gather in a coffee shop to socialize. It's a day event and usually takes place in the weekend. Happens only once every month though.
In case you are interested, just drop by to meet some foreign and local friends........ and to 'break the ice' as well.

Expatblog Gathering HCMC

Thanks. I managed to find the October Gathering. Will keep an eye out for the November one, hopefully it'll be in town. Have you been to any of these gathering?

mas fred wrote:

I feel like I'm about to make a fool out of myself.

Epic fail - you don't look at all foolish.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your quest.

No way, I failed? JK! I'd take that as a compliment, so thank you, and thanks for the welcome.
What brought you to Indonesia, if you don't mind me asking?

LinDV wrote:
senwl wrote:

Expatblog Gathering HCMC

Thanks. I managed to find the October Gathering. Will keep an eye out for the November one, hopefully it'll be in town. Have you been to any of these gathering?

No, not yet unfortunately, 'cause currently I am not in Vietnam. Will be back around Tet next year. Might give it a try then.
Good luck with your quest. Have a nice day. :)

@LinDV: tomorrow some expats and locals will meet and have dinner together. Do you want to join?

LinDV wrote:

Have a great weekend.
Cheers.

Welcome to Vietnamese chat blog.

jimbream wrote:

Anything....

You are like a strict father who has a teenager daughter  :lol:
When I talked to a male student, I said, I worry many IT girls don't have much expericence about blah blah blah. He said: even they have much expericence than you, teacher :D!

ngattt wrote:

You are like a strict father who has a teenager daughter  (Yeah, not only jimbream but every expats living in Vietnam has the same worry (?) about new generation high-tech young kids (?)  :)

When I talked to a male student, I said, I worry many IT girls don't have much expericence about blah blah blah. (what is actually blah blah?  :)  ) Did you mean by sex education? If so they are many steps ahead from oldies  ;)
He said: even they have much experience than you, teacher :D!

Yeah, he know better than you  :)  about your students!

ngattt wrote:

@LinDV: tomorrow some expats and locals will meet and have dinner together. Do you want to join?

Thanks ngattt. Unfortunately, I already have plan for tomorrow.  Maybe next time. Would it be okay to bring my kid to such gathering?

LinDV wrote:

Thanks ngattt. Unfortunately, I already have plan for tomorrow.  Maybe next time. Would it be okay to bring my kid to such gathering?

Today. Just a gathering of some locals and expats, because I don't have to teach today, so I want to meet them :D. Don't have any plans!
You can bring your kid, but after dinner, maybe we will go arround Saigon by motorbike.

charmavietnam wrote:
ngattt wrote:

You are like a strict father who has a teenager daughter  (Yeah, not only jimbream but every expats living in Vietnam has the same worry (?) about new generation high-tech young kids (?)  :)

When I talked to a male student, I said, I worry many IT girls don't have much expericence about blah blah blah. (what is actually blah blah?  :)  ) Did you mean by sex education? [color=#000000[color=#000000]]If so they are many steps ahead from oldies ;)[/color]
[/color] He said: even they have much experience than you, teacher :D!

Yeah, he know better than you  :)  about your students!

"If so they are many steps ahead from oldies" Oh really?   :cool::lol: For a country that has only just allowed sex to be taught as a part of Maslow's theory of humanistic ascending needs, I find that comment highly amusing.

Anyway to correct the thread drift, to the OP You haven't made fool of yourself and you are very welcome here.Have a good look around all the threads and you will see that there is lots going on. Oh and never forget, don't trust anyone. Especially if they are foreigners or Vietnamese.

eodmatt wrote:

Oh and never forget, don't trust anyone. Especially if they are foreigners or Vietnamese.

You are a foreigner, right  :cool:?
BTW, welcome back :D. I think you are right. Never trust anyone, except myself.

Every Sunday at 8am there is an English speaking club for Vietnamese students learning English. they meet upstairs on the 3rd floor of the Cultural Centre at 4 Pham Ngoc Thach st.
I have given many talks there and its a great place for people to maintain their conversational English speaking skills.
After the speeches groups sit around in circles and discuss the topic for the day. They nominate a subject each week for discussion. You will be made very welcome.

Why are there so many waving the 'don't trust anyone' banner about?
Everything within reason, but surely to 'trust' is to be human...?
I can't  imagine anything worse than a world without trust.

Hi
I am an American expat......living in HCMC, still trying to find the right person to teach me Vietnamese.....I teach some English to friends......looking for friends also...
Cheers
Connie

@DirtyPierre: Thanks. Sounds great. So I just come without signing up or anything?

@KiwiJas: I don't think they meant don't trust at all. It's just that trust should be earned, not given out freely.

Just turn up. They register you at the door upstairs.

Welcome to the forum! So what brings you back to VN? I am in So Cal now and considering a move to VN my self.... Going for a visit to VN next month.Cant wait!

@thanlan7465: I moved back to be close to family and many reasons. If you move here, you would miss So Cal a lot, but from my experience, VN, or just HCMC, has a way to make up for it :). Of course it would also take a month or two to adapt, especially to raise your toxic tolerance, haha.

hey hello

how are you

would love to meet you  when i am in ccmc next week

let me know

andy
:)

Hi Connie!
I can help you in studying Vietnamese. I have 4 years in teaching Vietnamese to foreigners. If you are interested, pls contact me email: [email protected]

Dear All,

I'm participating the Terry Fox Run in D7 this Sunday morning. Register starts at 7am, run starts at 8am sharp. Here the link for more info http://www.canchamvietnam.org/component … w/353.html . Just putting it out there :)

Cheers!