Renewing tourist visa

Hello,

I currently have a multi entry tourist visa, I will soon extend it another month-- for a total of three months.  What are people's experience with leaving Thailand and applying for another multi entry tourist visa through a thai consulate?  For example, how many times can I leave and apply in this manner? Also how long does this processing take? Where is the best consulate to go outside of Thailand?

I've heard the Thai government is cracking down on tourist visas, I just want to understand it better. 

Thanks for the help!

redshoes27 wrote:

Hello,

I currently have a multi entry tourist visa, I will soon extend it another month-- for a total of three months.  What are people's experience with leaving Thailand and applying for another multi entry tourist visa through a thai consulate?  For example, how many times can I leave and apply in this manner? Also how long does this processing take? Where is the best consulate to go outside of Thailand?

I've heard the Thai government is cracking down on tourist visas, I just want to understand it better. 

Thanks for the help!

Hi there,

Right now in Penang anyway they are allowing up to 2 separate multi tourist visa's with the extensions.  However.. I just did a visa run to Penang and was with a guy who got his third tourist visa in a row, no problem at all.  It's hard to fully get a grasp on the system. My husband and I were getting our Non-B visas with all the proper paperwork and we still had to "give them 200 baht"  for a "fee". The guy who was getting his third tourist visa didn't have to give a "fee". A lot of people on the run with us went with the intension on getting a education visa, no such luck. The office wasn't giving ANY education visas out. Even with the proper paperwork. They gave the four people who applied for them 30 day tourist visas instead.

Good luck. I'm sure everything will be okay.

Hmmm that's really interesting... thanks for sharing your experience.

redshoes27 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the help!

Not seen any reports of said crackdown but I guess it's only aimed at people who abuse the system, i.e. not guenuine tourists.

You do not get a Visa in Thailand, you can get an extension of stay for 30 days for 1,900 Baht.
Visas are obtained outside of Thailand, extensions of stay are obtained in Thailand.

colabamumbai wrote:

You do not get a Visa in Thailand, you can get an extension of stay for 30 days for 1,900 Baht.
Visas are obtained outside of Thailand, extensions of stay are obtained in Thailand.

Sound advice. However the OP is asking about back to back tourist visas and is well aware(read what she said) about having to leave Thailand to get a new visa.

redshoes27 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the help!