I'm beginning to think that Morgan Freeman was absolutely right.

http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/ricardo-setti/files/2012/11/freeman-440x330.jpg

Today in the United States of America, the Department of Homeland Security is ramping up security measures at all federal buildings in the nation, largely in response to an incident that took place in Canada a country where acts of terrorism have been virtually unheard of until just now. The act of a lone individual with a twisted mind that took the life of a ceremonial guard, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, at the Canadian War Memorial across from Parliament Hill. Why? Well frankly, simply because of the hysteria that the media has created over the incident.

There is a strong statement that has circulated on the internet that has been attributed to Morgan Freeman, that the media and we the general public are the ones responsible for perpetuating terrorism and terrorist attacks. While there is no real proof that it was Freeman that actually made that statement, the idea that it expresses clearly seems to be completely true.

All too often, we the public, seem to confuse our RIGHT to know with our NEED to know and the media takes full advantage of that in that it panders to our basest and most perverse desires to find out all the gruesome details of such events. Clearly we have both a right and a need to know when such events take place, the details of the event itself, and the results. I question however, if we have either the right or need to know all of the intimate details of the life of the perpetrators from the moment they were born.

Say the name Timothy McVeigh anywhere on the planet and anybody who hasn't been living in a cave knows exactly who you are talking about. Chances are they also know many of the details of his sordid little life too, but absolutely nothing about any of the 168 men, women and children who he killed. Amost everybody also knows who you're talking about when you mention the Tsarnaev brothers responsible for the bomb attack during the Boston Marathon. Same goes for people like Adam Lanza, the deranged 20 year old responsible for the school shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School that claimed 27 lives, all but two young children. We know all the minute details of his childhood and mental problems, but can any of us recall even one single bit of information about any of the victims or their names?

Why do we insist on turning somebody who is essentially a loser and a nobody during their lifetime into a somebody in death? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. When the media focuses such attention to these twisted individuals it is simply giving them exactly what they lacked in life that was the root cause of their horrific actions – ATTENTION. They were invisible, unknown, unimportant nobodies in life and somewhere in their twisted logic they decide to do something so terrible that their name will become a household word in death. We foolishly buy into that twisted logic and actually feed it when we demand to know every sordid little tidbit of information we can glean about them. The media in turn is more than willing to provide it too. This only encourages more such losers to come out of their little hole in the ground and commit similar atrocities.

I really am of the opinion that the media, as a whole, should be prohibited from divulging the names and the intimate details of any of suicide attack terrorists, school/workplace shooters, serial killers, etc. This would rob them of the exact thing they're seeking in the first place – fame and notoriety. This in itself would probably go a long way to preventing others from trying the same things in order to go out in a blaze of glory and obtain the attention and fame they could never hope to gain in life. Sure, it's not going to eliminate the problem completely and we all know that; but my bet is that it certainly would reduce it to a great extent.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Politics of all types, including religious politics, is always down to power, cash, and as many women as you can handle.
In the case of one larger country, it's oil and (the bit that never seems to get noticed) arms sales.
If you create an enemy, you must defend against that enemy, so the arms industry makes fat piles of cash.
That arms industry buys politicians (Sorry - donates campaign funds) from all serious parties so, no matter who wins an election, they have enough politicians in their pockets to start new wars, and create new enemies, thus creating more profit.

Countries or groups are never the problem, it's always greedy, corrupt politicians.

As for the terrorist - what a twit.

And yes, his name should never be used, and these people should never get attention paid to their history, save as many people as possible noting what an idiot they were, and how they'll be remembered until just after tea time.

You're too generous Fred. i wouldn't even give them until tea time!   :lol:

mas fred wrote:

In the case of one larger country, it's oil and (the bit that never seems to get noticed) arms sales.
If you create an enemy, you must defend against that enemy, so the arms industry makes fat piles of cash.
That arms industry buys politicians (Sorry - donates campaign funds) from all serious parties so, no matter who wins an election, they have enough politicians in their pockets to start new wars, and create new enemies, thus creating more profit.

People have been noticing this for more than a few decades.  Nicolas Cage, Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase all made bad movies about it.  Eisenhower and Kennedy warned against it.

mas fred wrote:

As for the terrorist - what a twit. And yes, his name should never be used, and these people should never get attention paid to their history, save as many people as possible noting what an idiot they were, and how they'll be remembered until just after tea time.

Well, I'm inclined to disagree, Fred. I would like ALL terrorists to be named, and their names to be cursed. Of course it depends on who one categorises as a terrorist. Tim McVeigh and his like, yes, and the ISIS thugs and those who sell them weapons. But my list would include every guard at Guantanamo who forces food down prisoners' throats: that's torture, in many people's books. Also, every drone "pilot" who commits murder by joystick and is rewarded for mutilating children  - and his superiors who give his reward.

By the way, James - is terrorism a fit topic for this Forum? You know the rules a lot better than I do, of course, but I thought the administrators didn't approve of controversial topics. Please confirm that your OP was kosher. Thanks.

The country, person or excuse for terrorism is of little matter.
Secret carpet bombing of Cambodia, CIA bombers over Indonesia, ISIS, some idiot extremist Muslim in London or where ever, mass murder in Palestine - it's still mass murder and stupidity, only the excuse varies.

Political topics aren't usually welcome on Expat.com, but I would argue we all need to be aware of one thing, people lie for cash, ideals and power and, unless we do something about their stupidity, the misery these people cause will never end.

Well Gordon, since my original posting wasn't really about terrorism per se, but the media hysteria surrounding it and the way they focus their attention on the minute details of the perpetrators rather than the victims I'd say it's "marginal".

I just think that we're buying into the twisted reasoning of these people and giving them in death what they wanted so much in life. Doesn't make a whole Hell of a lot of sense to me, but since I don't own the NY Times or even the Podunk Gazette what can I say?

I'd be glad to go into the Podunk Gazette with you 50-50, James! Shouldn't put much of a hole in the budget.

Meet expats all over the world

OR