How long does it take to get construction approved?

Sounds like your developer know what to do, but from what I have seen here, that this is not always the case.

can't see a way to delete my post so I wrote this instead

kohlerias wrote:

When your plans are submitted by your architect to his 'peers', the same 'cost per m²' will be put on your patio or porch as for your main house or cabin. This is where they determine the cost of your permit.

So how much of an increase is that vs. the actual cost of building?
In other words how much is it going to cost to get PLANS approved for a 30 foot by 20 foot porch added on to a 30 foot by 20 foot cabin?
(just an example)
In other words, is adding a porch/patio prohibitively expensive for someone wanting to save money by building a cabin?
If so, what if you just build the patio (a slab of concrete and a roof) yourself later and not get the approval?

ExpatDave wrote:

Sorry, I didn't get notification that this topic had continued on.

I built a two story house with a concrete slab, meter and a half footers and block first floor for the walls.  I “did not” use columns in my constructions as Tico's typically do. [edit]
Now that this has turned into a book, please feel free to pick by brain for whatever that's worth.

- Dave

I will certainly have questions but not at this time. Thanks for the post!

TerrynViv wrote:

Sorry for the delay with the pictures.  This is a modular house and as I said it needs to be square or rectangular by design.  This is a two bedroom and is between 925 and 975 square feet.  It has standard wiring and plumbing.
Modular1
Modular2
Cheers .... Terry

Thanks for the photos! It certainly doesn't look bad.
How much did it cost to build this?

I wonder what  cost-cutting features were employed, and whether or not it could be made to accommodate U.S. style plumbing and electrical without adding too much more cost? (i.e. a way to make it quality but affordable)
(I assume when you say "standard wiring and plumbing" you mean TICO-standard wiring and plumbing?

TerrynViv wrote:

Then you would have to visit to allay your fears.  Our house backs into the mountain (as does many others in our little community).  The developer is well aware of drainage and you would not believe the in ground and underground systems installed when a house is built.  That particular slope behind the house in the picture is solid and there are channels cut to move the water horizontally into catch basins that go underground and then drain to one of the three creeks / rivers on the property.  Our house has eight horizontal runoffs both above and below us.  There are four catch basins in the yard with a total 15 drain lines feeding them.  All catch basins drain to concrete troughs which are then channeled to the river.  On our driveway alone there are five drainage paths to the concrete troughs.  One of the reasons we decided to build and live here is the fact that Brian has greatly over-engineered the water management system.  There are seventeen houses built on the same slope or worse than what the picture shows.  Not one has had a water problem.  Not saying it could not happen but you will not find a better water management system easily.
Cheers .... Terry

I am no expert but I have seen other houses with similar situations built in the San Ramon area and I can attest that so far (years) they have shown no signs of problems with drainage or lack thereof, nor landslide.
It is certainly something to be concerned with though.

No, the electrical and plumbing are equal to Canadian standards (the developer is a Canadian).  Here are pictures of our electrical panel in progress and complete (with surge suppression on the right)
Electrical 1
Electrical 2

'In other words how much is it going to cost to get PLANS approved for a 30 foot by 20 foot porch added on to a 30 foot by 20 foot cabin?" This would depend on what the College of Architects decide...but it would all be valued at the same cost per m².

Adding the porch/patio structure after, may be more difficult ... and you still would legally require another permit, so it could be more expensive in the long run. Remember, you are an extranjero so have to watch your back...

TerrynViv wrote:

No, the electrical and plumbing are equal to Canadian standards (the developer is a Canadian).  Here are pictures of our electrical panel in progress and complete (with surge suppression on the right)
Electrical 1
Electrical 2

Hi Terry, I'm confused. Are you now talking about your own home or the home in the other pictures above, the one being finished up in the photos?

In the previous photos, can you give me an idea how much that house cost to build? And does it have the same electrical as mentioned in this post, with "Canadian standards"?

kohlerias wrote:

'In other words how much is it going to cost to get PLANS approved for a 30 foot by 20 foot porch added on to a 30 foot by 20 foot cabin?" This would depend on what the College of Architects decide...but it would all be valued at the same cost per m².

Adding the porch/patio structure after, may be more difficult ... and you still would legally require another permit, so it could be more expensive in the long run. Remember, you are an extranjero so have to watch your back...

Sorry for asking dumb questions but I know zip about building, period, Costa Rica or elsewhere.

Am trying to learn as much as I can from forums, particularly re building in Costa Rica. No doubt I'll learn more once I'm down there and talking to people in person, talking to architects, etc. but I do want to learn as much as possible from threads like this before I get down there.

Anyway so what you are saying about cost is that in terms of APPRAISAL the porch would be considered the same cost as the rest of the house? In other words they go by total square meters of the area being built, NOT buy WHAT is being built on that area? And this effects the PERMIT cost as well as property tax, and ?? or ??

Yes, in response to "the porch would be considered the same cost as the rest of the house? In other words they go by total square meters of the area being built, NOT buy WHAT is being built on that area? And this effects the PERMIT cost, as well as property tax"

kohlerias wrote:

Yes, in response to "the porch would be considered the same cost as the rest of the house? In other words they go by total square meters of the area being built, NOT buy WHAT is being built on that area? And this effects the PERMIT cost, as well as property tax"

Thanks!

Have a friend in Costa Rica who is looking into building with SIP panels, and he thinks that is the best way to go for price and utility.
Anyone have any criticisms or thoughts on SIP panels?

Sometimes it has a lot to do with how well the authorities know your builder.  If they have absolute faith in your builder things can go very smoothly, and then again it's different in every municipality.  Just be prepared to wait longer than you would in the US or Canada.

You mean "builder", not architect, right?
So the builder gets the construction approved?
But also the architect gets approval, then, right?

Anyway thanks for the reminder that often times using someone they know - and who knows the local officials - can get things done that others may not, and as you say, quicker.

Costa Rica has a reputation for paying officials and police officers etc. under the table.  This has become common practice as the wages in this country are dreadfully low, even for people that seem to hold important positions.  I'd never suggest doing that, but it is common practice among the Ticos.

I wouldn't expect anyone here paid to get approvals of any sort, but :
Do you know of gringos who have done this?
Is it common practice among gringos, or is it mostly only done among Ticos?